Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just passed on this one tonight for $120. I love BT mash #2, but I'm with Chuck as far as Diago's BS. Now, if it were over 100 proof? I might have broken the $100 barrier for the first time.

Also, had I not had the Barterhouse, which was thin and completely underwhelmed me, I might have sprung for it.

Edited by drunk

You see? There it is. I have W12 on the bar, but don't get the big deal about it. I much prefer OWA.

That's why they offer lots of topping choices on pizza, too...

I'm surprised nobody's seen this on the shelf yet.

And I'm not a big fan of OWA. I much prefer W12. I just wish I could find it...

We tried Lost Prophet sbs with Barterhouse (and later Forged Oak). It's hands down better than barterhouse, which looks and tastes like water compared to it. But the highlights are on the nose and finish, with the flavor being very one-dimensional. It's hard for me to really love a 22 year old bourbon, and this is no different. It's about as good a representation of a 22 year old that could be hoped for, though.

The 15 year Forged Oak is much better, very Heaven Hill-ish in the char flavors. More full-flavored and viscous.

Picked one up in SC today (just hit the shelf at that store). Hope to post some comments once I start feeling a little better and I can actually taste again.

• 4 weeks later...

My local independent got six bottles of this today. I grabbed one and will try it out as soon as I'm back to breathing semi-normally again.

I've had this bug for almost a solid week now.

My local independent got six bottles of this today. I grabbed one and will try it out as soon as I'm back to breathing semi-normally again.

I've had this bug for almost a solid week now.

I grabbed mine on Saturday...I have several untested bottles of other bourbon waiting to be tried but will be getting to this before the end of the week. I'm interested to see how this turns out

• 2 months later...

I passed on two at ~$125, am I making a mistake? Should I go back and grab them? As long as there is some sweetness, and viscosity to balance out the wood, I am in...

I passed on two at ~$125, am I making a mistake? Should I go back and grab them? As long as there is some sweetness, and viscosity to balance out the wood, I am in...

I've like the one that I've had and am planning to get another one or two to put away.

But, it's the type of thing that I like in terms of flavor profile. I know it's not for everyone.

And yes, I do believe it has both of the things you are looking for.

B

I've like the one that I've had and am planning to get another one or two to put away.

But, it's the type of thing that I like in terms of flavor profile. I know it's not for everyone.

And yes, I do believe it has both of the things you are looking for.

B

Thanks for the info!

I bought 2 of these a while back too, and have really been enjoying the first. The 2nd goes to the bunker. This one is tasty and complex. I think I paid $114/ea. I like this better than Forged Oak. Much better. Got two of those too, thinking the 15 yr might be better...

Bought a second bottle of this because I enjoyed the first one. In a minority here but what the heck.

Bought a second bottle of this because I enjoyed the first one. In a minority here but what the heck.

Yea, I figure maybe I can trade (if I don't drink it first) my 2nd at some point for something interesting on my wish list. Never know with this crazy bourbon frenzy..

I like this one, and if I run across another I will pick it up. It's the best of the LP to me.

I like this one, and if I run across another I will pick it up. It's the best of the LP to me.

Agreed. I have tasted all of them except Forged Oak and the LP is the only one I actually bought. My one and only is getting dangerously low. Nose is awesome, taste is great but not much finish.

Decided to take back roads down through TN on the way back from KY last weekend, driving through Shelbyville and Tullahoma. Lots of all the Orphans except Blowhard. Guess since they were bottled in Tullahoma they got a lot of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon Everybody,

new to the forum and great write ups on this bourbon. I had the chance to pick one up in Indiana for $200, but after reading all the posts I am glad that I passed.

Regards,

Jan

I was really disappointed in this one at first but I went back to my bottle this week and it's decent now. It opened up and finally has some semblance of a finish. It's velvety and (too) easy to drink. Still wish it had some more proof or maybe wasn't filtered so heavily.

I was really disappointed in this one at first but I went back to my bottle this week and it's decent now. It opened up and finally has some semblance of a finish. It's velvety and (too) easy to drink. Still wish it had some more proof or maybe wasn't filtered so heavily.

Can you point me to where there is first-hand info on the heavy filtering that Diageo used? I haven't been able to find anything on that.

Can you point me to where there is first-hand info on the heavy filtering that Diageo used? I haven't been able to find anything on that.
I mentioned sometime last year that the Orphan Barrel released I'd tried tasted heavily filtered. The only objective testing I did was sacrifice about an ounce of a bottle by dropping water into it a bit at a time to see if any "bourbon mist" appeared, and none really did, even after sitting in the fridge for half an hour or so. I water my whiskies often, so I'm very aware of what high levels of chill filtering look like.

So based on that and the thin mouth feel and what I can only describe as "lack of presence" (its hard to explain other than the impression that something is missing), I figured it had been filtered a great deal. Is there another kind of filtering they could do beyond chill filtering? No idea. While some of the "pro" whiskey bloggers seem to have arrived at this conclusion as well, my thoughts on the matter should probably be categorized as pure speculation. Based on taste testing Michter's has done fairly openly, I know novel filtering exists, and I would be surprised if it wasn't widespread among NDPs at least.

So what I'm getting at: I have what I deem to be good reasons for thinking what I think, but I am a rank amateur at best. Hopefully no one read my thoughts on the subject and misinterpreted my opinion as informed. If so, I apologize.

I also tend to believe that the ones I've tried are heavily filtered. I'm also a rank amateur and it's all speculation. I come to this conclusion from comparing the numerous 20+ yr old bourbons and ryes I've tried that have been proofed down and make no claims about being unfiltered (Michter's, Jeffersons, Old Blowhard, and Barterhouse) to the ones that are uncut and unfiltered (various Willetts).

The old Willetts have a distinct wood character flavor that is completely different from the flavor I get from the aforementioned older whiskeys. The aforementioned have a flavor I've never ever encountered with any young bourbon (except Michter's 10 which is rumored to have much older bourbon mixed in).

More experience needed to come to a more educated conclusion, but I do know that people who have been doing this for decades think the same so maybe there's something to it.

Joe I've also searched and haven't found any official statement from Diageo saying they use heavy filtering nor have I found any statement saying that they don't.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.