Orphan Barrel Lost Prophet

gooneygoogoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hellava review, but I'm surprised (well not really:skep:) that they did the Pappy comparision, seeing how it's not a wheater and all. I guess they gotta write the review up in a way to get the non-bourbon geeks attention.

Hellava review, but I'm surprised (well not really:skep:) that they did the Pappy comparision, seeing how it's not a wheater and all. I guess they gotta write the review up in a way to get the non-bourbon geeks attention.

I didn't see it that way. Just comparing it to other extra aged bourbons

John, I appreciate your imput as well. I realize you're pretty limited with options of that age range to compare to, but would you mind sharing with some of your fellow "geeks" how this compares to other of similar pedigree (the aforementioned AAA, RHF and Blanton's) that are readily available.

For me, that comparison is where the rubber will meet the road (or empties my wallet).

Edited by Paddy

John, I appreciate your imput as well. I realize you're pretty limited with options of that age range to compare to, but would you mind sharing with some of your fellow "geeks" how this compares to other of similar pedigree (the aforementioned AAA, RHF and Blanton's) that are readily available.

For me, that comparison is where the rubber will meet the road (or empties my wallet).

It's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. It's certainly one of the better whiskeys in the geriatric group. I have nicknamed it AAAA (Ancient Ancient Ancient Age). ;) Some of the best younger whiskeys (like AAA 10 yr. in it's prime) would probably get a similar rating. And is less expensive. Different flavor profile, though. It really comes down to the style of whiskey you like.

... It really comes down to the style of whiskey you like.

That there is the whiskey wisdom of the year, decade, millennium, infinity. Of course in the words of a popular Irish balladeer, I also, still haven't found what I'm looking for :grin:.

It's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. It's certainly one of the better whiskeys in the geriatric group. I have nicknamed it AAAA (Ancient Ancient Ancient Age). ;) Some of the best younger whiskeys (like AAA 10 yr. in it's prime) would probably get a similar rating. And is less expensive. Different flavor profile, though. It really comes down to the style of whiskey you like.

I know the mystery whiskey in the older Jefferson bourbons (the 21yo is probably the closest to the Orphan Barrel stuff although there has been a 25yo and a 30yo as well) generally has not been thought of as all that noteworthy and given you seem to like this one you would likely prefer it to the Jefferson. Any thoughts between the two? I don't recall that the Jeff 21 bourbon (or rye) got much mention on WA but certainly could have missed it!

I'll take a pass at that price (and ABV). We'll see if the Lost Prophet is also orphaned along with all the prior releases that are still sitting on most shelves around here.

I know the mystery whiskey in the older Jefferson bourbons (the 21yo is probably the closest to the Orphan Barrel stuff although there has been a 25yo and a 30yo as well) generally has not been thought of as all that noteworthy and given you seem to like this one you would likely prefer it to the Jefferson. Any thoughts between the two? I don't recall that the Jeff 21 bourbon (or rye) got much mention on WA but certainly could have missed it!

I didn't taste the 21 yo, but the 25 and 30 were very woody and not as good as Lost Prophet.

Thanks for your thoughts John, it's good to hear comparisons from an informed source with a trained palate.

Geriatric whisky? Good phrase, reminds me of a story I recently told one of the kids about hearing our then new president Dwight D. Eisenhower addressing the nation over the radio. She actually thought I meant a car radio.

Thank you John. AAA (10yr) has alwasy been a go to for me and that is exactly what I hoped this would be!

It's just too bad that AI took that one away from us, as they were selling damn good bourbon under that brand and now we will be forced to seek that old stock elsewhere, under new labels at a significant cost increase as you noted here.

Like many have said, it's a great time to be a bourbon enthusiast. Selections today are unprecedented, but the trade off is that demand and pricing are as well.

Edited by Paddy

Damn, fool and his money, the fool (me) who wasn't a buyer in post 2 is starting so see something that interests him in this release from Hansell's posts and blog. We'll see if it parts me from my money.

I don't find myself reaching for 20+ yr old bourbon enough to justify paying for an entire bottle, but I will definitely make an effort to try it. Even if I enjoy it for what it is, I dou t it'll change my bourbon preferences.

Regardless, its great to see Diageo releasing something other than another variation of Bernheim distillate.

Edited by garbanzobean

Damn, fool and his money, the fool (me) who wasn't a buyer in post 2 is starting so see something that interests him in this release from Hansell's posts and blog. We'll see if it parts me from my money.

I am in the same boat as you. Starting to reconsider

Is anyone else put off by the fact that the name is a homonym for "Lost Profit", and features a sheep on the cover?

What's next, "Better Sails", with a picture of a lemming on the deck of a sailboat?

Is anyone else put off by the fact that the name is a homonym for "Lost Profit", and features a sheep on the cover?

I'm not, but then again I'm not put off by Profit. I certainly don't get out of bed in the morning to break even and I certainly don't expect others to do so for my entitlement.

Profit is the means by which the pie grows for everyone. I see no reason to demonize it, nor am I afraid of competing in a marketplace that thrives on it.

I'm not, but then again I'm not put off by Profit. I certainly don't get out of bed in the morning to break even and I certainly don't expect others to do so for my entitlement.

Profit is the means by which the pie grows for everyone. I see no reason to demonize it, nor am I afraid of competing in a marketplace that thrives on it.

I was making a joke about Diageo and their marketing choices, not posting a communist manifesto - but OK.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.