What bourbon did you get as a Holiday present?

jvd99
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Devils cut from my mom. She tried. Not my favorite but it isnt awful either. A small bottle of JB white.ehh. and finally a bottle of MM. I have a part time job playing music at my church. The MM was from the pastor. For someone who knows little about bourbon, MM is a good bourbon to gift. Very few find it unpalatable, and its at a good price point. I have purchased none f these in the past two years. Its bourbon that is free to me, so I said thank you and I guarantee all will be consumed by my friends, family, and me.

Got a Jim Beam gift set from my brother in law who put the 3 mini-bottles in my stocking then tossed the bottle at me afterwards saying "This wouldn't fit too well". Gave my wife a bottle of her favorite bourbon, Blanton's. One of her co-worker's, in a truly unexpected gift, gave us a bottle of Hancock's President's Reserve. For some reason, I've totally overlooked this even those I've got the rest of BT's #2 mash bill bourbon's. It was a nice Christmas!

Got a Jim Beam gift set from my brother in law who put the 3 mini-bottles in my stocking then tossed the bottle at me afterwards saying "This wouldn't fit too well".

..........kinky!...........

I got several of the airplane bottles as stocking stuffers: Larceny, WT101, MM, and GJ. Multiples of each. These are really nice to have when staying in hotels. Just borrow a glass from the bar, head up to the room, and save $12 / pour.

Today's Christmas shopping netted 2 bottles of Weller Special Reserve (for $19.90 each....such a bargain) and a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. So, the Christmas count so far is:

Blanton's

SAOS7

OGD114

WSR x 2

WR Double Oaked

Almost bought a bottle of the Jefferson Aged at Sea, but couldn't justify the price for a novelty bourbon that I've never tasted.

I didn't receive any whiskey gifts, so I bought myself random bottles I didn't want.

Received a 2L mini barrel and a liter of Carpano Antica sweet vermouth. Planning on using them to make barrel aged Manhattans but haven't decided on what rye to use.

No Bourbon in my stocking but I did get a set of Bitters, 2 cool new glasses, flexible ice cube trays 2", 2 1/2" and 3 inch spheres, two books and some cool leather bottle neck tags.

My future brother and sister in law got me a bottle of Koval wheat whiskey. They live in Chicago and before I left we took a tour of their former distillery, turned R&D facility (they grew into a bigger building down the street)

Because I fly to VA to see my parents... several generic airplane bottles. JD, Chivas Regal, Captain Morgan 100, etc.

Not super exciting, but it's hard to drink neat at 30,000 feet anyway. So on with the Coke!

Sort of fun, finding a stocking stuffed with booze.

Plus, refill with the good stuff for the next trip. It's a delicate dance, getting an empty cup and a chaser on the plane without alerting the staff... :grin:

Traded in my LSB rye (which I read is pretty good rye, but not worth $120 to me) for Baby Saz, Bookers and a Willett 2-year rye.

The Willett was a mistake. I thought it was 4-year version until I got it home. I was willing to take a chance on the 4-year since the store really did not have anything else for which I wanted to trade. They used to have 4-year rye on the shelf when I last checked so I took one without reading the label and only realized when I got home that I instead got the very poorly received 2-year version.

But it was already a bending of the rules that allowed me to trade the LSB rye back to the store so there will be no further trades or returns. At least the Willett bottle looks nice in my liquor cabinet.

Anyway, I am still happier with what I got than with the LCB bottle for $120. Ho ho ho.

The in-laws got me JD green label and JD Fire....they must hate my guts

regift!

Ive regifted unwanted bottles before. sooner or later, someone will be glad to have it

The in-laws got me JD green label and JD Fire....they must hate my guts

Could always cook with it or add it to sauces.

I'm using my least favorite bourbon for hot toddy's right now to fight off a cold. With enough lemon, honey and cinnamon I dont really taste much of the bourbon. Put these in your cooking and/or medicine cabines.

The Willett was a mistake. I thought it was 4-year version until I got it home. I was willing to take a chance on the 4-year since the store really did not have anything else for which I wanted to trade. They used to have 4-year rye on the shelf when I last checked so I took one without reading the label and only realized when I got home that I instead got the very poorly received 2-year version.

It's really not all that bad for a 2-year rye. I prefer it to the JEP, and it's nice to try something that Willett actually distilled themselves. I'm not in a hurry to run out and get another, but I certainly don't regret the one I consumed.

It's really not all that bad for a 2-year rye. I prefer it to the JEP, and it's nice to try something that Willett actually distilled themselves. I'm not in a hurry to run out and get another, but I certainly don't regret the one I consumed.

Well that is encouraging. I don't know squat about rye and need to tune up my palette before I open the Saz 18 that I blundered across, so between the Willett, the Baby Saz and the Ritt I think I have a starter set.

Really benefitted this Christmas from having a son who works at a liquor store.....no bourbon, but a great sampler pack of Signatory 50 ml scotch bottles released in 1997 including a Port Ellen and Rosebank (a local distributor apparently just uncovered an old box in the warehouse)

I got no bourbon for Christmas:( I did giveaway a dozen plus Glencairn glasses with a 33 drams tasting log, and a nip of Fighting Cock to random people. I keep them in my truck and hand them out as the mood strikes me. 3 guys at 2 different hardware stores. A guy at gas station. A couple of motorcycle mechanics. The triple A guy getting my keys that were locked in the truck. Random acts of Bourbon for the holidays :)

IMG_3062_zpsfede0e48.jpg

Ted

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.