Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

Pretty much all of the aforementioned 'issues' are now present in Scotch over here. Camping out, ballots, lotteries, minimum spends, paying to join  store 'clubs' to have first dibs on overpriced limiteds...

Sad times.

• I like it 2

On 7/12/2022 at 9:28 AM, fosmith said:

Would proofing OGD 114 down to 100 proof get you something pretty much the same as OGD BiB?  According to the dilution calculator

https://americanhomedistillers.com/distilling-calculator/

that would take one oz. water to seven oz. OGD 114.  Desperate times call for desperate measures...

I'd think you'd lose flavor that way,  since the added water hasn't spent any time in the barrel.  There would logically be more flavor when 100% of the liquid in the glass has touched the barrel wood, vs only 87.7% for a 114 OGD diluted to 100 proof.

• I like it 2

6 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Well at least we still have Armagnac! (For now..)

And mezcal!

• I like it 2

I see plenty of OGD BIB in my area so it may be a regional distribution thing.  I did notice the primary source where I could get it for $20.99 on sale had restocked the shelves and the price is $24.99.

OGD114 is generally $26.99. 

Personally,  I prefer OGD BIB over OGD 114 similar to how I prefer MM101 over MMCS. I typically proof the higher proof bourbons down to 100 to 105 with a touch of water or a small cube of ice anyway. The BIB or 101 tend to seem more balanced to me.

• I like it 3

On 7/12/2022 at 10:46 PM, B.B. Babington said:

Some people mix it by taking dram of 114 followed by smaller dram water.  Or does that now work for you guys?  🤪🥂🤣

Water chaser?  You know what W.C. Fields said about fish and water, don't you?:o

• I like it 4

19 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I'd think you'd lose flavor that way,  since the added water hasn't spent any time in the barrel.  There would logically be more flavor when 100% of the liquid in the glass has touched the barrel wood, vs only 87.7% for a 114 OGD diluted to 100 proof.

Hmm.  Doesn't the distillery dump the barrels into a batch (probably large in the case of OGD) and then proof it down?  I can't imagine they would do it barrel by barrel or proof it and then rebarrel.  But you would probably lose some flavor unless you give the mix time for the water and alcohol to "mingle". 

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Hmm.  Doesn't the distillery dump the barrels into a batch (probably large in the case of OGD) and then proof it down?  I can't imagine they would do it barrel by barrel or proof it and then rebarrel.  But you would probably lose some flavor unless you give the mix time for the water and alcohol to "mingle". 

Also, the specific chemical composition of the water is likely very controlled. Channeling Nancy.. :)

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Yes. The question is if they proof down slowly in steps or all at once. I've heard Nancy talk about a shock that occurs from adding water too fast - the molecules don't bind as well. She is always in favor of gradual proofing down.

On the flip side - what can make those low floor aged bourbons taste so good at low barrel proofs is that they gradually took on water and lost alcohol over the life of the aging.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Water chaser?  You know what W.C. Fields said about fish and water, don't you?:o

LOLOLOL!!!  Love that one. My older god brother was a big W.C. Fields fan. He turned me into one too. I had a couple of his posters on the wall in my bedroom when I was a kid. I’d always watch his movies when they were on The Late Show. A highlight on a trip to Florida a long time ago was visiting Universal Studios on celebrity impersonator day. Got to see Marilyn Monroe, Mae West, W.C. Fields and the Marx Brothers impersonators. Awesome!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

Though I'm not sure I agree with chemistry rationale of why it works; many of world's top blenders, whiskey & whisky & brandy, do this, ask Nancy.  To be clear, I DO believe the proofing down method can create a better product; I have different thoughts on underlying physical/chemical principles involved than what I've seen posited by others.  

Edited by B.B. Babington
  • I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

In my travels through western Maryland earlier this week. As seen on one side of the sign, you can still buy ammo here.

I remember when they still sold guns here as well. About 5-6 years ago, if this guy had anything allocated or limited -ECBP for

instance- it was barely marked up. My how times have changed. I left with only a lottery ticket and a zinger to the store owner.

Told him if I win the lotto i might be able to afford his bourbon!

IMG-4412.jpg

IMG-4414.jpg

IMG-4417.jpg

• I like it 2

Continued...

ECBP was 250.00. BT handle 120.00 , 750 was 60.00

Earlier in the spring someone bought 3 bottles of LOT B for 1500.00 a pop!

IMG-4418.jpg

IMG-4419.jpg

• I like it 2

In should like to meet the people who pay those prices, plenty of SR I'd happily sell them!

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, Freakdog said:

In my travels through western Maryland earlier this week. As seen on one side of the sign, you can still buy ammo here.

I remember when they still sold guns here as well. About 5-6 years ago, if this guy had anything allocated or limited -ECBP for

instance- it was barely marked up. My how times have changed. I left with only a lottery ticket and a zinger to the store owner.

Told him if I win the lotto i might be able to afford his bourbon!

IMG-4412.jpg

IMG-4414.jpg

IMG-4417.jpg

Awesome!!  That is about the most American thing I’ve ever seen!  If Maryland has a Medal of Freedom Award to bestow to one of its citizens, I nominate that guy!  Fossil fuels, whiskey, ammo, and a healthy profit motive!  Dayum, I’m about to tear up with pride and admiration.  🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸   

• I like it 6

I think this shows that, no, the boom has not peaked. An 8 year old wheated for $230 msrp. It will probably sell out immediately and be $1000 on secondary.

FB_IMG_1659795426631.jpg

• I like it 3

On 8/6/2022 at 9:19 AM, Clueby said:

I think this shows that, no, the boom has not peaked. An 8 year old wheated for $230 msrp. It will probably sell out immediately and be $1000 on secondary.

FB_IMG_1659795426631.jpg

Yikes, beautiful bottle tho.

• I like it 1

That opaque bottle is a miss in my book-- the typically beautiful color of the liquid is a key brand asset for Willett.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

That opaque bottle is a miss in my book-- the typically beautiful color of the liquid is a key brand asset for Willett.

Yeah, I agree.

• I like it 3

My pedantic side notices a typo in the Willett copy…Yeah, I don’t really care either, but I live with a Communications Director, and that stuff drives her bat-shit crazy.  🤣

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

On first look it looks like a wine bottle to me. 

• I like it 2

Can you say Willett Bourbon Cream?  Hmmmmm. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Bottle shape is very similar to BT’s Weller.

D4E03547-225E-4EC8-A2C6-12DC3B7CAE38.jpeg

• I like it 1

Looks like the Whisky Exchange's 'Black Friday' bottle from a couple of years back...

we.thumb.jpeg.d866932f19d272637b64945ae5da0514.jpeg

• I like it 1

It could come in a porcelain toilet shaped decanter with a purple seat and people would still buy it all in about 4 seconds.

I think it looks kinda classy.

I enjoyed the dark Old Forester bottles too.  🤷🏻‍♂️

• I like it 1