Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

Fred described me. Granted, I'm waaaaay newer than most of you. But then again, it's guys like me who've been screwing up the market for the Get Off My Lawn crowd (with respect, that's "You All").

I have slowed down on buying. Granted, that's not saying much given just how much I did buy for the first 2 years. But I definitely have a much better sense of what I like. You guys were the ones who caused me to be cautious with start ups/NDP's. And also provided some delightful exceptions to the rule. If I do not read it here, hear it from a bourbon buddy I know & trust, or hear it from one of the few reviewers I follow, odds are very low that I'll try something new from an NDP. There's just way too much stuff I know is good and I am super happy with. Indeed, some recommendations made here have gone unrealized simply because I don't drink all that much (2 oz each weekday, more on weekends, less when traveling) and I love going back to the ones I know I really like. That last part is what Fred was talking about.

Anymore, I get bottles from my regular sources and am not hunting for new sources. Though that hunting was a good bit of fun, what with Y-chromosomes & all. I trade a fair amount for OWA/WSR back in Ohio. Then I use those bottles to get what I want, usually in KY. I like the "game" aspect of it. Ingestible, inebriating baseball cards. I also like the people I meet. Reminds me of gun culture.

I still have a lot to learn. I'm having a ton of fun doing so. My palate is a million miles ahead of where it was and still has millions more to go.

I would note that secondary is down by about 6 to 10%. Dunno if that is increased supply (especially of WFP and W12), drop in top-end demand ("super taters") or both...my gut says both. That, and some of the prices (even by my pretty bougie standards) have been rather excessive (e.g., the MMCA and 4R 35th when they first came out and even now, etc.).

I do talk to a few people in various businesses (I have a lot of clients who do interesting things). They say sales of NDP's are down, and by a lot. With a few exceptions, most of which have been named as being exceptional here.

This piece on Barrell's woes strikes me as truthy for NDP's as a whole. And a bit surprising, since they are, in my view, one of the Worthy NDP's: 

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

I won't consider a craft bourbon unless it's a straight,  and I'll usually take a chance if it's a BIB at a reasonable price.    That's my basic advice -  put out a BIB and don't charge eighty bucks for it.   If you do,  I'll buy your product once,  and then it's up to the quality to shine through.   

Very solid advice for any craft producer.  Bonded is the best place for them to start. 

• I like it 5

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Very solid advice for any craft producer.  Bonded is the best place for them to start. 

New Riff comes to mind....

• I like it 4

On 3/20/2024 at 2:30 PM, Anwalt said:

I have slowed down on buying. 

Sorry for editing your post to the above.

So says the man who has clients and friends who buys and mules for him on a daily basis.

That's like Pablo Escobar saying "I have slowed down on my daily involvement in my business.  Yet, business is good."  

Tongue-in-cheek buddy.  Even though you are an Ohio State fan, you are pretty cool.  

• I like it 5

23 hours ago, Kepler said:

I agree 100%

@Jazzheadand @Kepler Solid perspective.  Straight bourbon, preferrably BIB, decent price provides great incentive to try.  Enjoyment provides great incentive for a repeat purchase.

I have found several "craft" distillers that I enjoy.  New Riff, Still Austin, Woodinville, Hard Truth, Chattanooga.  I know they can't match the QPR of the majors but that's ok.  Given today's market where it is difficult to differentiate and the annual release are allocated, I am happy to seek single barrel offerings and craft bourbons and ryes.  It makes me feel like Magellan or, maybe Aldous Huxley, as is it is a Brave New World.

Honestly, I have stopped thinking in terms of major and craft distillers.  It is whiskey.  If I like it, I buy it. 

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

26 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Sorry for editing your post to the above.

So says the man who has clients and friends who buys and mules for him on a daily basis.

That's like Pablo Escobar saying "I have slowed down on my daily involvement in my business.  Yet, business is good."  

Tongue-in-cheek buddy.  Even though you are an Ohio State fan, you are pretty cool.  

All taken in the friendly spirit ya always offer it in, ya darned Hoosier! (Cheap) Valentine's Day card on the way....

Funny you mention it. Some friends are in Australia and just offered to bring 8 or so bottles....ain't gonna say no! 

• I like it 1

On 3/21/2024 at 3:22 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

New Riff comes to mind....

That is a good one.

• I like it 1

On 3/22/2024 at 11:13 PM, Kepler said:

That is a good one.

Peerless and BBC are in this group for me for sure.

• I like it 2