What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring 2015

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Found a Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX sitting on a lonely shelf and decided to take it home. This ones been sitting around for a while.

Doesn't that presuppose a rational state of mind?

You're right, Squire. Clearly I've been to sea too long and am in need of a stiff drink.

Picked up some 18 year old Signatory bottling of Clynelish from the Whisky Exchange in London. They had a 17 and and 18 year old bottling -- it was amazing how different both were, the 17 tasting grainy and young while the 18 having some big bold sherry influence and fuller mouthfeel...

Found a Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX sitting on a lonely shelf and decided to take it home. This ones been sitting around for a while.

Congrats! That is certainly one I would love to find still sitting on the shelf hopefully at a decent price.

Happened upon a Greenore 8. Didn't take long to decide whether I wanted to bring it home or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Compass Box Hedonism Maximus out in the wild and a bottle of Costco Sherry finished on a different trip.

Springbank Single Cask 17yo 51.4%. Fresh Sherry cask, April 1997 - September 2014, picked by Pacific Edge.

With the new NAS Hibiki Harmony replacing the 12yo due to the whisky shortage I picked up a 12yo for the heck of it. Never owned one and had not tried one in some years. Essentially an easy drinking blend as I recall.

With the new NAS Hibiki Harmony replacing the 12yo due to the whisky shortage I picked up a 12yo for the heck of it. Never owned one and had not tried one in some years. Essentially an easy drinking blend as I recall.

I think the Hibiki 12 year is really good. I first thought it was expensive for a blend, but there's nothing else that I know of with a similar profile. I don't think I'd peg it for a blend if I was trying it blind. I might pick up one myself.

Speaking of shortages, I picked up a Glendronach 15 year. I'd been meaning to try it for a while since the 12 year is one my favorite sherry bombs. After seeing it's being discontinued for a few years, I decided to finally grab one.

Costco has both of these for around $45 if you want to stock up.

Hibiki 12 yr x 3 @ $69.99 ea & a bottle of Hakushu 12 yr @ $63.99

Costco has both of these for around $45 if you want to stock up.

Wish that was the case at my local Costco. Do you recommend one over the other?

Both are good. Depends on if you like smoke. Hakushu is more smoky whereas Hibiki is more sweet and light.

Costco has Balvenie 12 Double Wood for $40 and Glen Moray 12 for $20, I brought home the wood. :cool: Talisker Storm was just under $40 if I remember correctly.

A week ago, went to the Whisky Castle in Tomintoul and bought 2 of their store select Tullabardines, 2 of their store select Glenrothes, and a Clynelish distiller's edition - I forgot they were Diageo. It's delicious, but it's going to be my last.

At a small store in Oban found a Bowmore Duncan Taylor Distiller's Masterpiece from a while ago. A friend bought the Macallan.

Prior to that, a warehouse tasting at Cadenhead's in Campbeltown - straight from the cask bought a 41yr Loch Lomond, a twentysomething (can't remember right now) Clynelish (it wasn't Diageo THEN!!!), and as per usual, I had a bottle of their living rum cask filled.

This week, bit my lip and bought a 6-case of the 2011 Port Dundas 20yr grain whisky. I tried it at Casc in Aberdeen, and was blown away.

Picked up a 25 year old Douglas Laing omc bottling of Port Ellen for 300. A lot of money but i think it's actually a steal.

Acquired the Arran Devil's Punch Bowl III today thanks to a big assist from a fellow SBer. Never was able to find this one locally even though the first two in the series made it here. This one is different from the first two as no peated barrels were used in the blend of single malts it was made from. A bit of a gimmick but I was curious enough to want to try it and reviews were pretty decent as I recall.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21477&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=21478&stc=1

Unfortunately I missed out on the first one so I have to convince a fellow GBS member to share his so we can do all three in the series in a blind SBS!

post-8493-14489822751327_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822751566_thumb.jpg

Couple weeks late but had Glenfarclas 25, Benriach Septendecim, and Laphroaig PX delivered. Haven't opened them yet but with the euro down and free shipping it was difficult to buy only these three.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.