What Water of Life did you purchase today? Spring 2015

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finally secured Bruichladdich Octomore 6.3… 64% abv and 248 ppm… it's a beast! I've tasted it before and it's quite a nice, bold pour. It doesn't seem as hot as the proof suggests nor as peaty as the ppm suggests and definitely one of the best 5 year old single malts that I've had.

Been a good couple of days. Picked up a Kilkerran Work In Progress 7 (oak), a Gordon & MacPhail Highland Park cask strength, Amrut Single Cask ex-bourbon and a Yamazki 12 year.

Got two bottles today. A Longrow Red, which is finished in Pinot Noir casks. And, a cask strength Edradour. Pretty excited about both.

Picked up aberlour 12 non chill filtered today.

Place also had a Laphraoig cask strength from 2011. Wanting to try a islay malt but the Laphraoig seemed strong!! And at $80, it's a bit more than the only other islay malt I know, Lagavulin.

Edited by johnnybogey

Got two bottles today. A Longrow Red, which is finished in Pinot Noir casks. And, a cask strength Edradour. Pretty excited about both.

Did you find both of those locally in Atlanta?

Nope. Unfortunately not. I decided to take the money I was going to use for limited edition bourbons and avoid the hassle and get some scotch and Armaganc instead. At least that's how I justified the shipping cost from The Whisky Exchange to myself.

I haven't cracked the Edradour yet, but the Longrow is really great.

It was a good week for Scotch purchases. I picked up a 15 year Glenfarclas in Montreal (not exported to the US), which is at 46% and not chill filtered, unlike most of the rest of their lineup. The exchange rate is really good right now so that brought the price down from $88 to $66. Then I picked up a 2015 Laphroaig Cairdeas and a Glenrothes Sherry Cask Reserve in New Hampshire.

I also got an Oban "Little Bay, Small Cask" to give to my father for Christmas. I saw one in MA for $86, but knew they had it in NH for $63. It definitely pays to shop around.

Picked up Highland Park 12. Contemplated jumping right to the 18 since I had a bottle of the 12 years ago when I tried getting into scotch and remember it being terrible (along with Balvenie Doublewood).

Again, that was years ago. I feel like or hope that my palate is much better now for all things scotch/bourbon/rye since really getting into this stuff earlier in the year.

Thus far, I've tried Macallan 12, Glenfarclas 12, Aberlour 12 NCF which are all heavy sherry influenced. I've read that Highland Park 12 was a good step up. While there is still sherry, I've read that it's not as much as the previous ones mentioned.

Thus far, I've tried Macallan 12, Glenfarclas 12, Aberlour 12 NCF which are all heavy sherry influenced. I've read that Highland Park 12 was a good step up. While there is still sherry, I've read that it's not as much as the previous ones mentioned.

HP12 isn't a sherry bomb like those others, but a bigger difference is that HP12 is lightly peated, whereas those Speyside malts are not peated at all.

HP12 isn't a sherry bomb like those others, but a bigger difference is that HP12 is lightly peated, whereas those Speyside malts are not peated at all.

Drove through a small town and saw an old shop that screamed dusties. I was hoping for some bourbon, but the only interesting stuff was in the scotch section. I ended up grabbing a Balvenie 15 that was bottled in 2009 for only $65. They had some old, interesting Macallan's, Oban's, and Glenfarclas' that I might have to head back for at some point. It's been a few years since I've had a Balvenie, but the 2009 price was hard to turn down.

Drove through a small town and saw an old shop that screamed dusties. I was hoping for some bourbon, but the only interesting stuff was in the scotch section. I ended up grabbing a Balvenie 15 that was bottled in 2009 for only $65. They had some old, interesting Macallan's, Oban's, and Glenfarclas' that I might have to head back for at some point. It's been a few years since I've had a Balvenie, but the 2009 price was hard to turn down.

Good deal! Gotta get back there and grab some of the other ones too if they are not too expensive.

It's been a while since I had this but I bought a bottle of Tangle Ridge. A couple pours last night and a couple pours today.... Very nice all around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.