What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall 2015/Winter 2016

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, garbanzobean said:

2012 Lagavulin 12.  Those are finally starting to be scarce around here, and it was a great year.  Also, I was gifted a Grangestone Bourbon Cask Finish whisky.  I guess my Mamie Taylor malt supply is assured for the next year or so.

Glad to hear that is a great year.  I have one of those in the bunker.

I purchased a Lot 40 and Famous Grouse 18 today.

7 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

Glad to hear that is a great year.  I have one of those in the bunker.

I purchased a Lot 40 and Famous Grouse 18 today.

Lagavulin 16, 12, and DE were all great in 2012.  I'm not saying other years were better or worse, just that I can verify with personal experience that all the affordable releases from Lagavulin that year were outstanding.  I've yet to have a bad Lagavulin, but I'm sure they exist.

51 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

I've yet to have a bad Lagavulin, but I'm sure they exist.

Same here, at least for truly bad. I killed a 2012 DE a few months ago and while it was good, it did not quite strike me as well as I'd hoped. A friend did share a recent 16 year that was not nearly as good as the last one I opened... less raw smoke and not as bright citrus. 

Those are the only two slight disappointments. Every other flavor of Laga I've come across was exceptional.

Bought Arran Single Cask Sherry Cask.  Really looking forward to it.  Bought Ardbeg 10 about a week ago, and Compass Box Great King's Street a few days ago.  Ardbeg is great.  Haven't opened up the GKS.

3 hours ago, Auracom said:

Same here, at least for truly bad. I killed a 2012 DE a few months ago and while it was good, it did not quite strike me as well as I'd hoped. A friend did share a recent 16 year that was not nearly as good as the last one I opened... less raw smoke and not as bright citrus. 

Those are the only two slight disappointments. Every other flavor of Laga I've come across was exceptional.

Sorry to hear you feel like they are backsliding.  I've had pretty good luck with my Lagas, in fact I'll say that the 2013 DE I got on sale for $50 was maybe even better than the 2012, and that the 16 has been consistent for me.  That said, I typically buy my lagavulin 16 in the same two places (that sell it for $55-$60 . . . which is why I buy it there), and for all I know they've been selling bottles from the same batch for the last 3-4 years.  I know they like to buy in bulk . . . 

Edited by garbanzobean

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.