What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall 2015/Winter 2016

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

6 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Is it really worth the 150.00+ price tag?

Can't speak to your location but locally both the 2012 and 2015 FH had been going for closer to $100 if it is still available. In my opinion it is a pretty good deal for a quality bottle. 2012 was Laphroaig/Clynelish with a bit of sherry finished malt thrown in. 2015 has no sherry but is a lot of Caol Ila (including a fair amount of 30yo Caol Ila!) with Clynelish and a bit of other stuff in the mix as well.

21 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Is it really worth the 150.00+ price tag?

I picked both of mine up for $100 and change.  At $150, not sure I'd be as thrilled.  It is damn nice whiskey, and I personally wouldn't have regretted buying one - but probably would have stopped there.  But, value is in the eye of the beholder (some folks would trip over themselves to pay $150 for a VW Lot B, where I wouldn't pay half that for one; different strokes)

56f06af1af6c9_GreenspotLeovilleBartonhau

Taking advantage of a sale I picked up a couple of back ups as well as a couple of new ones this week.

56f06af501d1a_GreenSpotLeovilleBartonbou56f06af75d963_GreenSpotLeovilleBartonbou56f06b24b71f3_Teelingsinglecaskwhiteport

Green Spot finished in swanky Leoville Barton Bourdeaux casks for 12-24 months at 46 proof and 13yo Teeling single cask single malt finished in Carcavelos white port at cask strength of 55.7.

56f06b16cd757_Hautesglacescask31A.jpeg.756f06b196ff16_Hautesglacescask31B.jpeg.7

Then added a bit of a wild card with a new to me French Whisky Called Domaines des Hautes Glaces (High Ice? Not much for French) known for using local organic barley. Single cask at cask strength so I figured I would take a shot. Serge seemed to like some of their other bottlings but this is a bit of an expensive shot in the dark. Not that it is all that unusual for me to do something like this. Going to be interesting.

Plenty more room on the Island of Misfit Whisky...

15 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

56f06af1af6c9_GreenspotLeovilleBartonhau

Taking advantage of a sale I picked up a couple of back ups as well as a couple of new ones this week.

56f06af501d1a_GreenSpotLeovilleBartonbou56f06af75d963_GreenSpotLeovilleBartonbou56f06b24b71f3_Teelingsinglecaskwhiteport

Green Spot finished in swanky Leoville Barton Bourdeaux casks for 12-24 months at 46 proof and 13yo Teeling single cask single malt finished in Carcavelos white port at cask strength of 55.7.

56f06b16cd757_Hautesglacescask31A.jpeg.756f06b196ff16_Hautesglacescask31B.jpeg.7

Then added a bit of a wild card with a new to me French Whisky Called Domaines des Hautes Glaces (High Ice? Not much for French) known for using local organic barley. Single cask at cask strength so I figured I would take a shot. Serge seemed to like some of their other bottlings but this is a bit of an expensive shot in the dark. Not that it is all that unusual for me to do something like this. Going to be interesting.

Plenty more room on the Island of Misfit Whisky...

Let us know how you like the Teeling Single cask. 

Currious on the taste and review

7 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Let us know how you like the Teeling Single cask. 

Currious on the taste and review

Will do. The ones that have my interest are the other two I have to admit. The Green Spot has some fairly notable color from the Bordeaux compared to the standard Green Spot and the mystery French whiskey is full maturation in a cask of the typically floral Viognier grape wines of the nearby Rhone valley in the Condrieu region. Not sure I have had any of that style of wine before but I might get one just to make the comparison! I have certainly done stranger things...

Stumbled on some Talisker DE 2010, Talisker 175th and Glenmorangie Astar the other day...so they came home with me.

3 hours ago, Dolph Lundgren said:

Stumbled on some Talisker DE 2010, Talisker 175th and Glenmorangie Astar the other day...so they came home with me.

All are quite nice finds. I wish I could stumble into some Glenmo Sonnalta PX and Artein! But so far no luck.

Purchased a Tamdhu Batch Strength.  A new product I'm looking forward to trying.  I love those sherry bombs.

Bought a Johnny Walker Rye Cask Finish for under $40 OTD.  I had it at a tasting last year and liked it.  It finally arrived at my local stores and at a good price.

Forgot to post this : picked up a Laphroaig 18 and a Kilchoman Vintage 2008 while in TX at the beginning of the month. I am really enjoying this Kilchoman, just a bit smoother around the edges than the standard release, a little more "refined", but still plenty of islay peaty goodness.

I've got a TWE order coming in tomorrow. I guess I like peat.

Laphroaig 1997 Berry Bros TWE
Laga 12 CS 2015
Laga 8
Octomore 7.3

18 hours ago, Trey Manthey said:

I've got a TWE order coming in tomorrow. I guess I like peat.

Laphroaig 1997 Berry Bros TWE
Laga 12 CS 2015
Laga 8
Octomore 7.3

I guess you do.  Me too.  Enjoy those and let us know what you think of them.  I'm especially interested in hearing about the Laga 8.  I'm glad Diageo put a "fairly" reasonable MSRP on that one. It is only 8 y/o after all.

I wonder how many OB's are out there with an 8yo age statement. The independents do it a lot but I haven't seen many official distillery bottlings less than 10yo. I suspect that back before they changed their tune when they had lots of whisky they were desperate to get rid of and were still trying to convince us that age really was important the idea of releasing an 8yo bottling wasn't even being thought about.

Gotta love booms and busts.

22 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I wonder how many OB's are out there with an 8yo age statement. The independents do it a lot but I haven't seen many official distillery bottlings less than 10yo. I suspect that back before they changed their tune when they had lots of whisky they were desperate to get rid of and were still trying to convince us that age really was important the idea of releasing an 8yo bottling wasn't even being thought about.

Gotta love booms and busts.

There are a lot of 8 year olds out there.  You just might have trouble seeing them, they are disguised as NAS. :)

Yes, there is that! But few that are age stated 8 year olds as the industry continues to try to once again readjust our collective thinking about what constitutes "good whisky".

Edited by tanstaafl2

I came home with twins :D

2 x Smokehead Islay Single malt scotch. I'll post a pic when I get the pic resized. 

I've never seen Smokehead around here Rob.  Just looked it up.  I sounds like a very aggressive whiskey with some strong flavors.  Let us know how it is.  Thanks.

Temptation got the best of me and I just had to get a different "tree" of the Midleton Dair Ghaelach. So I ordered one from TWE and now I have "tree" #9 to compare to #6. But of course you can't get just one bottle when ordering from TWE so I had to get a few more!

TWE shipment APR 16 2.JPGDair Ghaelach tree 9.JPG

That included a special bottling of Yellow Chartreuse from the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France Sommeliers because I love chartreuse in all it's many forms and lets face it, I can't resist something odd and unusual!

Also included were two TWE exclusives, a 22yo cask strength Irish single malt with the humble name of "Finest Irish Single Malt" (Presumably Cooley whiskey) and a 15yo cask strength Glenfarclas (both a bit of a gamble).

The one I am most curious about though is the Spirit of Hven Sankt Claus which was an award winner by Whisky Advocate with an interesting history. Again a cask strength offering of a single cask of Merlot finished Swedish whisky offered as a Christmas special. Probably doesn't get much more unusual than that! The description of distillation in the comments by the distiller make for an interesting read. I hope it lives up to the hype!

And finally I got a refill on Perique because, well, you can just never have too much Perique!

16 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Temptation got the best of me and I just had to get a different "tree" of the Midleton Dair Ghaelach. So I ordered one from TWE and now I have "tree" #9 to compare to #6. But of course you can't get just one bottle when ordering from TWE so I had to get a few more!

TWE shipment APR 16 2.JPGDair Ghaelach tree 9.JPG

That included a special bottling of Yellow Chartreuse from the Meilleurs Ouvriers de France Sommeliers because I love chartreuse in all it's many forms and lets face it, I can't resist something odd and unusual!

Also included were two TWE exclusives, a 22yo cask strength Irish single malt with the humble name of "Finest Irish Single Malt" (Presumably Cooley whiskey) and a 15yo cask strength Glenfarclas (both a bit of a gamble).

The one I am most curious about though is the Spirit of Hven Sankt Claus which was an award winner by Whisky Advocate with an interesting history. Again a cask strength offering of a single cask of Merlot finished Swedish whisky offered as a Christmas special. Probably doesn't get much more unusual than that! The description of distillation in the comments by the distiller make for an interesting read. I hope it lives up to the hype!

And finally I got a refill on Perique because, well, you can just never have too much Perique!

A 15 y/o cask strength Glenfarclas.  That's not much of a "gamble".  That stuff is going to be good.  Enjoy!

39 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

A 15 y/o cask strength Glenfarclas.  That's not much of a "gamble".  That stuff is going to be good.  Enjoy!

We shall see! But I agree, it seems likely it will be worth the cost. Weighing in at 117.2 proof (the 103 proof on the label is the old British proof where 100 proof equaled 57.15 ABV) it should have a bit of a kick.

Glanfarclas 15 CS front.JPGGlanfarclas 15 CS back.JPG

Edited by tanstaafl2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.