What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall 2015/Winter 2016

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/17/2016 at 10:37 AM, GeeTen said:

Well, now we know where 2 of the 5000 2016 bottles that were distributed around the world made are resting!

2016 Yamazaki Sherry Cask.jpg

Have you had the courage to open yours yet?  I have't (yet!).   :ph34r:

No yet - I've opened a Luxury, Flaming Heart 15 and the Caol Ila 17 recently.  I'm on a Compass Box kick - thinking about buying a lost blend this week.  The Yamakazi is happily sitting in the cabinet among a growing herd of unicorns

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Of course, you mean StraightBourbon.com.  :)

Once again, English is not my native language . . . . :lol:

42 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

No yet - I've opened a Luxury, Flaming Heart 15 and the Caol Ila 17 recently.  I'm on a Compass Box kick - thinking about buying a lost blend this week.  The Yamakazi is happily sitting in the cabinet among a growing herd of unicorns

hmmm - another disciple of "Gratification Delayed; Gratification Denied"??????   :o

My therapist referred me to this article:

http://stuartschneiderman.blogspot.com/2009/12/gratification-delayed-gratification.html

Just kidding!  ;)

Interesting article.   My delay is not for lack of a special occasion or that I'm a somehow subconsciously depriving myself of the pleasures of special bottles, I simply like the collecting aspect of it all and knowing that I have an ample supply of special bottles to mix in with other more readily available selections.  I've long ago revealed my approach to whisk(e)y in other threads.  I'm relatively new to all this, maybe 4 years in.  I quickly realized back then what the good/dusty/LE/unicorn bottles were and started bunkering because I knew I didn't know anything and had not developed a pallet worthy of opening said bottles.  I did this for a good 2-3 years and have built up quite the collection of bourbons and scotches that I'm now more comfortable opening (the secondary market is meaningless to me as I do not participate at all).  As far as the Yamakazi goes, I really don't feel it will be that much better that other stuff I've got stashed away, so there's no priority.  One day I'll get the itch to open it - that may be next month, next year or five years from now, it makes no difference to me.  When the time comes, there's also the very real chance it won't be a case of unnecessarily delayed pleasure; I may very well be pissed off I dropped 3 bills on a NAS whisky that really doesn't taste that good.  Who knows? 

1 hour ago, jvd99 said:

As far as the Yamakazi goes, I really don't feel it will be that much better that other stuff I've got stashed away, so there's no priority.  One day I'll get the itch to open it - that may be next month, next year or five years from now, it makes no difference to me.  When the time comes, there's also the very real chance it won't be a case of unnecessarily delayed pleasure; I may very well be pissed off I dropped 3 bills on a NAS whisky that really doesn't taste that good.  Who knows? 

All good points, jvd99 - and we all might be disappointed someday with some of the bottles that we dropped significant coin on just to get them (a bottle of '59 Ch. Lynch Bages comes to mind - often!!!!).  But who knows, eh?  The mortgage gets paid, the kids are out of college, and the weddings are all behind us - what else are we going to do on a beautiful afternoon?   :D

And I'm picking up a bottle of The Macallan Rare Cask for a friend today for a dinner party on Saturday (instant gratification?) - will report the particulars on Sunday afternoon as soon as I return to consciousness (SWMBO is driving home) .   ;)

Edited by GeeTen

Wemyss Spice King 12, Clynelish 14 and Redbreast 15.  I guess I should've got Craigellachie 13 and an Aberlour 16 to make a straight.  :P

13 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Old Pulteney 17.  It's been too long since I've had this fine dram.

Coming to the end of a bottle myself. It really is very good indeed. 

GeeTen, better bring two bottles.  Meade and Charlutz and a couple others around here are ready, willing, and able to share.:D

Today's W of L purchase was Compass Box Hedonism.

11 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

GeeTen, better bring two bottles.  Meade and Charlutz and a couple others around here are ready, willing, and able to share.:D

Today's W of L purchase was Compass Box Hedonism.

Thanks Harry.  I was thinking the same thing. :)

On 4/27/2016 at 4:35 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Do you know where I can find a second bottle of the Yamazaki Sherry Cask???????  Just noticed the MSP just went up another $100, too!    :(

Guess we're going to have to learn to sparingly share, boys and girls - sharing is good, right?   ;)

I found another bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas 2015.  I paid more than I did for the 1st bottle but less than I've seen it around for.

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Do you know where I can find a second bottle of the Yamazaki Sherry Cask???????  Just noticed the MSP just went up another $100, too!    :(

Guess we're going to have to learn to sparingly share, boys and girls - sharing is good, right?   ;)

I'll find out if even I know where one is on Wednesday 4 May and, if it is, intend to check the current price.  If it is not still there or has become even more outrageous, I may have to console myself with whatever else is there.  Do NOT hold your breath waiting for a report.

17 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I found another bottle of Laphroaig Cairdeas 2015.  I paid more than I did for the 1st bottle but less than I've seen it around for.

The Laphroaig Cairdeas runs about $77.99 OTD around here - thinking of picking one up if it's not too peaty. The "crumbly chocolate Islay fudge" sounds verrrrrry interesting . . . . . .   :unsure:

On 4/30/2016 at 7:10 AM, GeeTen said:

The Laphroaig Cairdeas runs about $77.99 OTD around here - thinking of picking one up if it's not too peaty. The "crumbly chocolate Islay fudge" sounds verrrrrry interesting . . . . . .   :unsure:

Gee, that is a fair price but be warned, it's very peaty.  The fudge flavor can be found under layers of burned out campfire/fireplace, seaweed, petroleum, and lemon.

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Gee, that is a fair price but be warned, it's very peaty.  The fudge flavor can be found under layers of burned out campfire/fireplace, seaweed, petroleum, and lemon.

Gee, thanks for the "heads up", meadeweber - that's what I was afraid of!  Guess I'll have to settle for the new (to me) Glenvilet Milsean.  Think I'll pass on the Cairdeas - don't like my Scotch to smell/taste like something that died 2000 years ago.  YMMV.   :(

Edited by GeeTen

I've done a fair bit of damage lately.  Yesterday, Springbank 12 CS, Longrow Red 11 Port, and Famous Grouse 18 (discontinued, and one that I like quite a bit).  Last week, Glenfarclas 17 and 21.  Time to do more drinking, and less buying.

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Gee, thanks for the "heads up", meadeweber - that's what I was afraid of!  Guess I'll have to settle for the new (to me) Glenvilet Milsean.  Think I'll pass on the Cairdeas - don't like my Scotch to smell/taste like something that died 2000 years ago.  YMMV.   :(

Presume you mean the Glenmorangie Milsean? That will definitely be a very different flavor profile from the Cairdeas!

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Presume you mean the Glenmorangie Milsean? That will definitely be a very different flavor profile from the Cairdeas!

Yeah, that too!   Shouldn't post before I have coffee, eh?   :D

16 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, very different.  I find the Milsean quite sweet and there is a heavy wine influence.  I like it but probably will not buy another bottle...okay, maybe I will if it goes on sale. ^_^

Hibiki 17 for $129.99 + CT tax.  Now I can drink with Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson ("Lost In Translation")!   :wub:

On May 2, 2016 at 0:40 PM, jeffrey r said:

I've done a fair bit of damage lately.  Yesterday, Springbank 12 CS, Longrow Red 11 Port, and Famous Grouse 18 (discontinued, and one that I like quite a bit).  Last week, Glenfarclas 17 and 21.  Time to do more drinking, and less buying.

I love famous grouse 18 also. Have 2 drams left in my open bottle and have a bottle bunkered for later down the road if it doesn't return

You're going to love that Longrow. Side by side on my bar with the Cairdeas from 2013.  While the Cairdeas is a younger expression, both show just how good a peated whiskey can be when aged in port casks. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

Several things in the last week:

Springbank Local Barley 16

Compass Box Circus

Wilson and Morgan Home Blend 35 year (sherry cask #27)

BenRiach 1995/2010 Peated / Pedro Ximenez Finish

Glen Grant 21 year Gordon & Macphail

2012 Lagavulin 12.  Those are finally starting to be scarce around here, and it was a great year.  Also, I was gifted a Grangestone Bourbon Cask Finish whisky.  I guess my Mamie Taylor malt supply is assured for the next year or so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.