What Water of Life did you purchase today? Fall 2015/Winter 2016

dean_martin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, gusto16 said:

Found a Macallan Cask Strength at $89.99 recently.

Great find. Wish I had that kind of luck

Today, I purchased my 1st bottle of Signet.  I've been wanting to try this for awhile now, and it happened to be at the store: 

Anybody like Dewars 15yr. I know it is a blended scotch, but, for $35 it sounds good (I am just starting to dip my toes into the scotch realm).

16 hours ago, Golzee said:

Anybody like Dewars 15yr. I know it is a blended scotch, but, for $35 it sounds good (I am just starting to dip my toes into the scotch realm).

No, but the new version of Dewar's 12 is the single worst whisky I've had in my life.  I couldn't get a glass of it down, and I suspect it made me nauseous.  Brought it right back to the store.  So, proceed with caution.

I bought one a while back and it was meh.

Thanks to the assistance of some help from the SB membership I acquired a couple new and intriguing whiskies.

Caol ila 17 Bowmore 23.JPG

I had managed to acquire the annual cask strength 111.8 pf Caol Ila unpeated release from Diageo for the lest few years in town but this year for reasons unknown it seemed to be a complete no show in Atlanta. Now I will be able to see how the new 17yo compares to the previous 14yo, Stitchell's Reserve and 15yo releases. The 15yo is a might hard bar to pass. An initial try of the 17 seemed to suggest it was a bit closed down. So it will likely show up in the next Wednesday tasting once it has settled down from its long journey!

The other is a 23yo Bowmore fully matured in port since 1989, also at a cask strength of 101.6 pf. A somewhat similar 1991 16yo Bowmore fully matured in port is one of my favorite whiskies I have so I look forward to seeing what impact the additional aging has on this one.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Based on color, your hummingbirds will favor the Bowmore...

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Based on color, your hummingbirds will favor the Bowmore...

Everybody is after my whiskey. I don't think I will let those greedy little flying dinosaurs have any though!

For the longest time I did not see Glenfarclas 105,  I had to go looking for it in TX to get a bottle and mule it back.  In the last week, I have picked 3 bottles in NJ(??).  Two at $89.99 one at $79.99.  Not that I am complaining...it has become my flask whiskey of choice...but has distribution and availability changed for the better for those of us in the whiskey wasteland?

Edited by El Vino

27 minutes ago, El Vino said:

For the longest time I did not see Glenfarclas 105,  I had to go looking for it in TX to get a bottle and mule it back.  In the last week, I have picked 3 bottles in NJ(??).  Two at $89.99 one at $79.99.  Not that I am complaining...it has become my flask whiskey of choice...but has distribution and availability changed for the better for those of us in the whiskey wasteland?

I would think it's down to allotment, demand and the distributor's ability to sell the product.  I can get the 105 at Bevmo for $92+, but TW&More won't carry it.  Buffalo Trace products can be rare as hen's teeth in AZ.  I to have to bootleg in products I can't find here, and it's illegal for me to get spirits by mail.  Amazon in the UK sells lots of the good stuff!  :blink:

I thought I read (can't remember where now) that Glenfarclas 105 was getting rid of its age statement. Anyone else heard that?

14 hours ago, meadeweber said:

I thought I read (can't remember where now) that Glenfarclas 105 was getting rid of its age statement. Anyone else heard that?

I can't remember the older bottles and I don't own one at the moment. :(    A range of 8 to 10 years is in my head, but I am not sure why.  I do think it's a NAS now, their site does not mention its age and the newer reviews also call it a NAS.   I do keep the Glenfarclas 12 & 17 in stock at all times.  ;)

On 4/15/2016 at 8:44 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Thanks to the assistance of some help from the SB membership I acquired a couple new and intriguing whiskies.

Caol ila 17 Bowmore 23.JPG

I had managed to acquire the annual cask strength 111.8 pf Caol Ila unpeated release from Diageo for the lest few years in town but this year for reasons unknown it seemed to be a complete no show in Atlanta. Now I will be able to see how the new 17yo compares to the previous 14yo, Stitchell's Reserve and 15yo releases. The 15yo is a might hard bar to pass. An initial try of the 17 seemed to suggest it was a bit closed down. So it will likely show up in the next Wednesday tasting once it has settled down from its long journey!

The other is a 23yo Bowmore fully matured in port since 1989, also at a cask strength of 101.6 pf. A somewhat similar 1991 16yo Bowmore fully matured in port is one of my favorite whiskies I have so I look forward to seeing what impact the additional aging has on this one.

The Caol Ila 17 drank surprisingly hot.  However, a few drops of water did wonders for it.  I don't usually add water, but in this case it was very helpful.  Is the 15 significantly better than the 17?

On 2/25/2016 at 6:02 PM, jvd99 said:

Yamakazi sherry cask 2016.  

image.jpeg

Well, now we know where 2 of the 5000 2016 bottles that were distributed around the world made are resting!

2016 Yamazaki Sherry Cask.jpg

Have you had the courage to open yours yet?  I have't (yet!).   :ph34r:

Edited by GeeTen

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Well, now we know where 2 of the 5000 2016 bottles that were distributed around the world made are resting!

2016 Yamazaki Sherry Cask.jpg

Have you had the courage to open yours yet?  I have't (yet!).   :ph34r:

Courage????  It's Japanese Whiskey, not a Shinto Shrine. 

Picked up an AnCnoc 16 and ordered a Springbank 16 single cask fresh sherry. Sounds awesome.

Aberlour a'bunadh and a Forty Creek Three Grain Harmony

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Courage????  It's Japanese Whiskey, not a Shinto Shrine. 

Yeah, but if someone wants to offer me a bottle of PVW20 and $1000 for it . . . . .  you should see the secondary market price for one of these ($3200!!!???!!!).  Yikes. 

On 4/16/2016 at 1:48 PM, Darwin said:

I can't remember the older bottles and I don't own one at the moment. :(    A range of 8 to 10 years is in my head, but I am not sure why.  I do think it's a NAS now, their site does not mention its age and the newer reviews also call it a NAS.   I do keep the Glenfarclas 12 & 17 in stock at all times.  ;)

The one I purchased a few months ago has 10 years on the back label.

15 hours ago, meadeweber said:

The one I purchased a few months ago has 10 years on the back label.

I was just in the store that has the 105 and I didn't get one.  The guy with the key to the glass case was on break.  :unsure:    they did have 2 cases of Eagle Rare 10 on the shelf and I got excited and forgot all about the single malt.  

Thanks for the info, it's back on my shopping list.

Edited by Darwin

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 9:31 AM, jvd99 said:

The Caol Ila 17 drank surprisingly hot.  However, a few drops of water did wonders for it.  I don't usually add water, but in this case it was very helpful.  Is the 15 significantly better than the 17?

I hope to try them side by side this week to see, along with the 14yo from 2012 (which was fully aged in reused sherry I believe) and perhaps the Stitchell Reserve from 2013. My recollection of the 15yo was that it is quite good. It was close between the 14yo and 15yo last year when we tried them but both were quite nice.

Tried a small taste of the 17yo last week and it seemed a bit subdued initially so I hope it is a little more vibrant this week. I will certainly put a touch of water in it as well to see.

15 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Yeah, but if someone wants to offer me a bottle of PVW20 and $1000 for it . . . . .  you should see the secondary market price for one of these ($3200!!!???!!!).  Yikes. 

That explains it, then.  I didn't realize you bought it to potentially flip it.  Carry on.

Nah - just wishful thinking.  Think I might take a roadtrip down to DC and share it with HarryinDC, tho'.   :D  

17 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Nah - just wishful thinking.  Think I might take a roadtrip down to DC and share it with HarryinDC, tho'.   :D  

Of course, I meant Harry in WashDC, sorry.   He was the first to welcome me to StraighBourbon.com!   B)

Edited by GeeTen

4 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Of course, I meant Harry in WashDC, sorry.   He was the first to welcome me to StraighBourbon.com!   B)

Of course, you mean StraightBourbon.com.  :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.