Elmer T. Lee

Bourbon_Gamer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Value is of course subjective. If you wanted it and could not find it at a lower price then perhaps it is OK. Only you can decide! But that price is well over twice the typical retail price in most places presuming of course you can find it.

Some of us old codgers (well me anyway) wouldn't likely feel that was a good price and indeed I would consider it to be significant gouging by what ever retailer you bought it from. The last time I bought it a few months ago was for about $32 and I thought that was a little high.

Edited by tanstaafl2

In my town, ETL sells for a low of $32.95 and a high of $59.95 - it always pays for me to shop around.

Edited by starhopper

1 hour ago, BourbonGuy said:

BTW: For anyone who tasted a recent release, is it still good?  Since Elmer T is not selecting the barrels anymore, I wonder who is and if quality has fallen off.

Some people swear that it's not as good but I'm not one of them.  Still delicious to me.

Edited by dcbt

I found it on the shelf today in Indy for $36.99.  Obviously, higher than the mid-$20s from 3 years ago when I last saw it on the shelf. 

3 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

BTW: For anyone who tasted a recent release, is it still good?  Since Elmer T is not selecting the barrels anymore, I wonder who is and if quality has fallen off.

It has been discussed on the board before although I can't find it now but the notion the Mr. Lee was personally picking every barrel until the day he died at age 93 is simply not accurate. Most of what was selected for many years was picked by others, although likely based on exemplars of bourbon provided by Lee himself. While he was still fairly active at the distillery until late in life and likely did get involved in occasionally selecting some of the barrels he did not pick them all by any means. Since those exemplars still exist it is likely the bourbon isn't going to change much unless of course the availability of stock aged enough to match the profile gets to be hard to come by. Since just about everything at BT seems to be hard to come by that could certainly be a greater concern for the overall quality going forward.

Also remember it is a single barrel product. That can't and won't be all the same! Although when the GBS picked a couple of barrels a couple of years ago they were all remarkably similar at least to my palate. As I recall it was all about 8-9 years old at the time. Whether it still is that old is an open question since it is a NAS bottling.

ETL was hard to find around me the last couple years and just started appearing sporadically on shelves. I passed up some at $60 and then picked up the only 2 on the shelf for $40 three miles down the road. Went back to that store a week later and there were three more bottles on the shelf, but priced up to $43. 

Here in NJ I've paid $45 to $31 a bottle. The gap between the hi and low price was like 6 months. 

15 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

Yes the new bottles suck. Please spread the word. It's not the same bourbon anymore. It's not worth buying. Do your part in killing the hype. 

2 hours ago, willmohawk5 said:

Yes the new bottles suck. Please spread the word. It's not the same bourbon anymore. It's not worth buying. Do your part in killing the hype. 

I must agree to disagree....I find that the latest batch of ETL is pretty darn good - so much so, I've bought 6 bottles recently at $32.95 ea.  Now, I admit I don't know what it tasted like 3 years ago, but the current batch of bourbon being put under his label is very nice IMHO. 

Completely agree that value is subjective, and lately, I will grab any Elmer under $50.  I've had many good bottles for well under, and many horrible well over (BMH Oregon).  ETL is just a comfort bourbon for me.

45 minutes ago, b1gcountry said:

<wink> <wink>

LOL - Ohhhhh....I get it!

Edited by starhopper

I just found a second bottle of ETL at a smaller store for $39.99.  I had to buy it so I can average out the first one I paid $79.99 for.  That puts me at $60/bottle still way more that what you all paid but slightly better.  Lol

The other day my local guy informed me that he had one bottle sitting in back. I've never even seen ETL on the shelves around here, let alone tried it, so at $42, I couldn't say no.  It's one of those where it's an incredibly hyped product, and I was worried about whether it would live up to such hype.  But I had no need to worry.  I love this stuff, and I'd buy it over and over at that price!  I feel like I've really been missing out.

I have hard time to find ETL in my area .but God love me .my Santa come early this year.one of the  members ( theamateuralcoholic)  in instagram willing share his bunker ETL ,and 2 sample Corsair triple smoke , whisper snapper ...just want to shout out to everyone on this forum ,we share the same passion hobby let share and help other ..

I'm in SCal and want  invite  4 person that want to come to my bar( 57 bottles open) to taste explore  this hobby . Just pm me .To pay back favor...cheer happy holidays 

IMG_20151215_181231.jpg

Edited by Thi nguyen

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎08‎:‎42‎, tanstaafl2 said:

It has been discussed on the board before although I can't find it now but the notion the Mr. Lee was personally picking every barrel until the day he died at age 93 is simply not accurate. Most of what was selected for many years was picked by others, although likely based on exemplars of bourbon provided by Lee himself. While he was still fairly active at the distillery until late in life and likely did get involved in occasionally selecting some of the barrels he did not pick them all by any means. Since those exemplars still exist it is likely the bourbon isn't going to change much unless of course the availability of stock aged enough to match the profile gets to be hard to come by. Since just about everything at BT seems to be hard to come by that could certainly be a greater concern for the overall quality going forward.

Also remember it is a single barrel product. That can't and won't be all the same! Although when the GBS picked a couple of barrels a couple of years ago they were all remarkably similar at least to my palate. As I recall it was all about 8-9 years old at the time. Whether it still is that old is an open question since it is a NAS bottling.

I said that sort of tongue in cheek.  I do not think he picked them all.  To your point, single barrel products will vary.  But I would imagine there is a taste profile they try to match.  Again, to your point, if the stocks do not allow them to, then it may not be worth the premium price ($60) the local is asking.  Actually I have a 12% off coupon and that would bring it down to around $53 which is still kind of high.   For that money I can get Blantons or two bottles of Buffalo Trace.

Edited by BourbonGuy

On December 18, 2015 at 5:42:54 AM, starhopper said:

I must agree to disagree....I find that the latest batch of ETL is pretty darn good - so much so, I've bought 6 bottles recently at $32.95 ea.  Now, I admit I don't know what it tasted like 3 years ago, but the current batch of bourbon being put under his label is very nice IMHO. 

I was being sarcastic lol trying to keep more of the stuff on the shelf lol 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.