Elmer T. Lee

Bourbon_Gamer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Spec's Smith Street got a case or two, and the manager was pumping it up like a limited release. The staff got some, and they put the rest in the "back." They were definitely trying to make it seem like a very limited release.

THAT is hilarious :) Thanks for posting that. I laughed out loud.

Personally, I'm not going to pay 39 and change, let alone chase this pony.

It's almost funny how the store employees are acting now. Really... don't you recall that less than a year ago, ETL was ALWAYS on the shelf (and in the mid 20's), and now you want me to get hard for a single 750 at a roughly 50% markup?

It's an insult to long term customers IMO, and proves how short term their memory can be when $$$ is involved...

I'll ride it out with my bunker and/or turn to something else if the future necessitates. There's too much damn good liquor out there to piss into this wind...

Just read that as well, DCBT. I've got to admit I'm surprised.

Firstly, on one hand they say that Blanton's supplies will be tough but a little easier due to more production a decade ago.

Then they lump ETL in with the Antique Collection saying strictly allocated for the foreseeable future (The longest age in the report is "the foreseeable future", ha).

I guess they put all of that mashbill's production into the steel clad warehouse?

What I would have liked to know from that article:

Did you distill more this year than you sold, and by what percentage?

What percentage of rack space have you added this year, and what is the planned addition for 2015?

On the positive side, they said Sazerac Rye is gaining inventory traction. I am hoping this translates into a substantial increase in Handys this fall.

You can leave the Stagg Jr in the rackhouse - it ain't done yet.

Just bought the last two bottles of ETL at Main Street Liquor in East Nashville for $39.99 each, bought one Tuesday at Woodland Wine Merchant for the same price. Used to get it for $28 there. I won't pay more than $40 for it, I can get CEHTSB for $44 and RHF for $50.

A little late information, but this showed up in NC a few weeks ago. I was shocked to walk into my local ABC store and see a case on the shelves. The manager told me it came in without warning (i.e. he didn't order it, the state just sent it) and there it sat for about two weeks. Was nice to see something like that show up here, and I was a little excited to realize it had that kind of shelf life. I've never seen it in NC before and am guessing many folks around here don't even know what ETL is.

FWIW, I like ETL, and aways have. Just my opinion. To me it's a good bourbon at a decent price. Or at least it was at a fairly decent price.

The hype, or speculation is a problem that I think has manifested itself mostly because of three things.

#1. The passing of Elmer T. Lee. There were rumors and speculation about ETL being discontinued because no one thought anyone else at BT could pick the barrels for ETL. There have been numerous posts here about store owners and managers, and even distributors telling customers it was being discontinued because Elmer died. And yes, I heard it myself from at least one store manager.

#2. The bourbon boom. BT announced two years ago they were facing shortages, and there would be occasional rolling blackouts of some of its products. ETL was one of these. In the last week or so, BT once again announced there were still shortages, and that some of their products would be on limited allocation. Again, ETL was one of the products.

#3. Many folks saw an opportunity, and took advantage of the situation and bought all the ETL they could get their hands on. Yes, I'm talking about the secondary market. Most of us know the score on that account, so no need to go on a rant. It is what it is.

In some ways, we can be our own worst enemy. Sometimes we discuss things here to the point that we ourselves perpetuate the "hype". Straight bourbon is a place with many knowledgeable members that have a wealth of information about bourbon. We try and post about what we know, and try to do it in the best way we know how. That's usually not a problem. Where possible problems might arise, is that we also have many members here that never post. They just sit back and look, learn and listen (read). In all probability, some, and maybe a lot of the information gleaned from our site is used to other devices. Know what I mean? That's why some things are better off communicated in private. This might want to make you think twice before posting something like, "Yeah, I found a couple dozen ETL's at Joe's Liquors in Bumfuck Idaho. They were priced at $29.99 a bottle. I grabbed a few, and left the rest on the shelf." I know we're talking about ETL here, but the sad thing is, it pertains to many other things as well. Just my thoughts. I apologize if it seems like I'm preaching, or on my high horse. Not my intention at all. It's just the way I see things, and we all see things from different perspectives. "Know what I mean Vern?" :grin:

Joe

You're forgetting Boyd Crowder, Joe.

I have a friend who discovered a giant stash of ETL late last year. He called me frantically, asking how many I wanted. I said "zero, but thanks." He was shocked, since ETL had obviously been discontinued with Mr. Lee's passing. When I explained that, to my understanding, ETL has been selected by committee for years with the occasional picks by the man himself, he refused to believe me. I referred him to an article explaining how ETL is selected, and that mentioned they had an enormous library of samples from old picks to ensure consistency of profile. He called it BT propaganda, and to this day refers to the mound of ETL he bought (bottled long after Mr. Lee's passing) as "fake Elmer T. Lee."

Edited by garbanzobean

You're forgetting Boyd Crowder, Joe.

I have a friend who discovered a giant stash of ETL late last year. He called me frantically, asking how many I wanted. I said "zero, but thanks." He was shocked, since ETL had obviously been discontinued with Mr. Lee's passing. When I explained that, to my understanding, ETL has been selected by committee for years with the occasional picks by the man himself, he refused to believe me. I referred him to an article explaining how ETL is selected, and that mentioned they had an enormous library of samples from old picks to ensure consistency of profile. He called it BT propaganda, and to this day refers to the mound of ETL he bought (bottled long after Mr. Lee's passing) as "fake Elmer T. Lee."

LOL, wow. that was entertaining to read. thanks for sharing.

I do enjoy some ETL every now and then especially at my bunkered price of $32 but I don't expect to purchase anymore as the price goes up.

It's a real easy sipper but $45 - $50, not so much.

It's 90 proof NAS bourbon. It's nice, but I won't pay crazy prices for it either. Even $30 seems a bit too much. To me 1 ETL is not equal to 2 4R SmB, or a handle of OF Sig.

At least being one of the mid-aged bourbons (estimated at around 8) they'll catch up in a few years, since they probably already started ramping up when it first went allocated a few years ago.

I've got a few years in the bunker.

It's 90 proof NAS bourbon. It's nice, but I won't pay crazy prices for it either. Even $30 seems a bit too much. To me 1 ETL is not equal to 2 4R SmB, or a handle of OF Sig.

You can get 4RSmB for $15?

Was in Manhattan this weekend and had 2 bottles of ETL waiting for me on my arrival for $35 bottle. Went over to a local liquor store on the east side and lo and behold there is a solitary bottle of ETL on the top shelf for $299.99. First time I've ever witnessed this madness firsthand....

Was in Manhattan this weekend and had 2 bottles of ETL waiting for me on my arrival for $35 bottle. Went over to a local liquor store on the east side and lo and behold there is a solitary bottle of ETL on the top shelf for $299.99. First time I've ever witnessed this madness firsthand....

Come on! There is no way. That's just crazy!

You can get 4RSmB for $15?

I can get 4R SmB for $19.99 on sale, or else low $20s.

I can get 4R SmB for $19.99 on sale, or else low $20s.

I need to take a trip to IN to visit my buddy and load up my trunk. State Min in MI is $31.99. No such thing as a sale on liquor here, just those who don't charge state min.

I need to take a trip to IN to visit my buddy and load up my trunk. State Min in MI is $31.99. No such thing as a sale on liquor here, just those who don't charge state min.

Just remember that IN has no Sunday alcohol sales. :bs:

Just remember that IN has no Sunday alcohol sales. :bs:

They're just looking out for your soul, Paul. [emoji1]

A guy proudly told me he was a teetotaler and I said, good, more for me then.

ETL is a NAS bourbon, but not in the way we tend to look at NAS stuff nowadays. I think we generally look at NAS bourbons now, as younger products. IIRC, ETL is, or was usually around 7 years old, and maybe up to 9. I know there's a post here somewhere about the age of ETL, but I can't find it. :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.