The absolute WORST bourbon I ever tasted was......

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 1/1/2017 at 11:39 PM, 0895 said:

The old Rebel Yell 80 proof tall (wine) bottle.

One pour and dumped the rest down the sink.  It was just awful.

Edited for brevity:  You reminded me, I was disappointed in the last bottle of RYR (90 proof), and I always finish a bottle to give it every effort.  It was thin, and a trace of something "off" I could never place, like contaminated beer or something.  I mean to give it another try, thinking that might have been a bad batch or something.  It was around 2014. 

Edited by musekatcher

52 minutes ago, musekatcher said:

Edited for brevity:  You reminded me, I was disappointed in the last bottle of RYR (90 proof), and I always finish a bottle to give it every effort.  It was thin, and a trace of something "off" I could never place, like contaminated beer or something.  I mean to give it another try, thinking that might have been a bad batch or something.  It was around 2014. 

Those standard Rebel Yell offerings whether the older squat bottles or new packaging are uniformly dreadful. Young thin and underproofed. I think that experience added to the shock of how good the RY10 was( to my taste). 

5 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

Those standard Rebel Yell offerings whether the older squat bottles or new packaging are uniformly dreadful. Young thin and underproofed. I think that experience added to the shock of how good the RY10 was( to my taste). 

They were created so as not to interfere too much with the delightful palate of Mountain Dew.

18 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

They were created so as not to interfere too much with the delightful palate of Mountain Dew.

Ahhh, now it all makes sense! 

...for me the two most disappointing whiskeys are Black Maple Hill Premium Small Batch and Willet Pot Still Reserve...I say this only because I think anticipation and expectations were high. I keep trying my bottles from time to time with no change of heart. Sometimes it's the bottles you don't like that helps you define the bottles you do like so no regrets here.

On July 19, 2016 at 6:35 AM, Golferpimp1 said:

Was not a big fan of the Welles special reserve......love the OWA though....can't find the 12 yr. to try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this is an old post but if you still have not found a W12 to try I'll send you a sample...just send me a message here on the board.

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And, this is why I no longer drink GTS with my Mountain Dew....It tends to kill all the MD flavor!

2 hours ago, icarus625 said:

...for me the two most disappointing whiskeys are Black Maple Hill Premium Small Batch and Willet Pot Still Reserve...I say this only because I think anticipation and expectations were high. I keep trying my bottles from time to time with no change of heart. Sometimes it's the bottles you don't like that helps you define the bottles you do like so no regrets here.

Sad to hear about the BMH, its on my list.  WPSR was a favorite of mine.  There was some on the shelf a few weeks ago.  I might be ready for another bottle.

I know this is an old post but if you still have not found a W12 to try I'll send you a sample...just send me a message here on the board.

Thanks so much for the response. I did manage to snag a 1l. A couple of months ago. My brother also found one and we shared that, thought it was very good. Truly appreciate the offer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Jesse James, America's Outlaw Bourbon Whiskey.  Makes me grateful to be a law abiding citizen.

35 minutes ago, marshbound said:

Jesse James, America's Outlaw Bourbon Whiskey.  Makes me grateful to be a law abiding citizen.

With a gimmicky name and subtitle like that, I'd think disappointment was predictable, lol. 

3 hours ago, Tanger11 said:

Bourbon Barrel Batch 006. I've tried it numerous times over the past 4 months and it is awful.

Taste like vitamins?

10 hours ago, musekatcher said:

With a gimmicky name and subtitle like that, I'd think disappointment was predictable, lol. 

Yep.  It was a gift from my father, he liked the name.   I did drink it all, I'm not the "pour down the sink" type (too cheap) but when I saw light at the end of the bottle I accelerated to make room in the cabinet for something more compatible to my palate.  :lol:

Old Charter 8. Poured it down the drain. Just awful, awful stuff. Conversely, Old Charter Classic 90 (dusty) is one of the best bourbons I ever had.

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Taste like vitamins?

I don't recall, i need to revisit again this weekend and report back.

22 hours ago, marshbound said:

Yep.  It was a gift from my father, he liked the name.   I did drink it all, I'm not the "pour down the sink" type (too cheap) but when I saw light at the end of the bottle I accelerated to make room in the cabinet for something more compatible to my palate.  :lol:

I figured.  And I was just having fun.  Really, I can enjoy most bourbons, but the price sets the expectations.  Paying $30 for an 80 proof that resembles $9.99 McAfee's leads to disappointment.  On the other hand, enjoying a 4 yr KSB from BT for $9.99 can lead to delight. 

On 1/9/2017 at 6:56 PM, garbanzobean said:

Don't feel bad.  I don't like Buffalo Trace much these days either, though I do enjoy EW Black and WT101.

As a relative beginner, I've got a lot to learn.  I let the BT sit about a month in a decanter and recently gave it another try - much better this time.  I know my tastes changes depending on what I just ate or what I drank previously, so maybe the BT improved with some air or maybe I just had the right food for dinner that altered my taste buds.  Whatever  the reason, I'm learning to not give up on a bourbon until I've given it some time. I even wonder how consistent brands are bottle to bottle. Could be I'll love one that I previously disliked if it comes out of the right barrel.  

This is one education that sure is a lot of fun. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

Jim Beam white label

If you think that's bad, give Old Crow a spin. :lol:

39 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

If you think that's bad, give Old Crow a spin. :lol:

I haven't tried Old Crow, but I read U.S. presidents used to drink it in the White House. Now it sounds like it went from the White House to the outhouse.

Edited by OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel

Old Crow was a premium brand years ago.  Beam bought the label and turned it into their bottom shelf.  The Old Crow from pre-Beam era was: different recipe, distilled at a different location, aged longer, and everything else.

It's definitely not a premium brand now. I tried it once and have no interest in ever trying it again. Would gladly drink JBW over Old Crow.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a 50ml bottle of something called "Batch 12" Bourbon from Heritage Distilling Company in Washington State. I didn't expect much and still got disappointed. It was like nosing a can of creamed corn. Tasted like liquified creamed corn as well. The first bourbon I couldn't even get through 50mls of. Two sips and straight down the sink. 

Edited by BDanner

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

I picked up a 50ml bottle of something called "Batch 12" Bourbon from Heritage Distilling Company in Washington State. I didn't expect much and still got disappointed. It was like nosing a can of creamed corn. Tasted like liquified creamed corn as well. The first bourbon I couldn't even get through 50mls of. Two sips and straight down the sink. 

You should check in with us Washingtonians before making such decisions. I could have save you from that purchase.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.