The absolute WORST bourbon I ever tasted was......

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I will say that eagle rare 10yr is by far the most unique bourbon I've ever tasted.

It seems very fruity..almost cognac like.

It is a strange taste that I'm glad is available if I happen to want it.

18 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You must have got a bad bottle Fitz. All the ER's I've had for a while now have been pretty decent, if not great.

Cheers! Joe

I hope that it is simply a bad bottle. I couldn't even hide the crawlspace taste when I mixed it. 

I have many friends (including the one that I gave the last 1/3 of my crawlspace bottle to) who absolutely love Eagle Rare. I also know it is a popular bourbon on here. I have another bottle, which I am reticent to open. I will eventually open it, and if it doesn't taste at all like a poorly ventilated crawlspace; then I will be pleased. 

I think my opinion of ER is somewhere in between the extremes.  I don't hate it enough to give it away or dump it.  On the other hand, I detect enough of a wet basement or farm well water taste creeping in to ruin my total enjoyment.  Last bottle was a gift.  I wouldn't spend my own money on it.  Funny thing is - standard Buffalo Trace is supposed to be the same thing but younger.  BT tastes like a much better product to me. 

Lem Motlow....yes I have a bottle and it's just going to be a keep sake...[emoji19]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's always interesting how much people's palates vary. Eagle Rare is basically my benchmark bourbon. By that I mean nearly everything I drink is compared to it. "Yeah that's good, but is it $50 better than Eagle Rare good? Nah." is the common sentiment.

To me, Eagle Rare fits in the same flavor profile of Buffalo Trace, CEHT, Stagg Jr, and basically all the BT mashbill #1 bourbons. The biggest difference between it and it's similarly easy to find brothers is it has a bit more age on it, more oak specifically which is something I tend to enjoy. It's far from an oak forward bourbon to me though, which would be something like Barterhouse which I get very distinct notes of wood shop and leather, and I mean that in the best possible sense. ER is sort of like standard BT that is leaning a little towards the Barterhouse flavor profile in my opinion.

Worst bourbon I've ever tasted? Coin toss between a dozen 2 year old craft bourbons. I'll say Few Bourbon because it's one other people may have tried as well.

Edited by EarthQuake

• 2 months later...

Having just cracked a Noah's Mill, I'm gonna go ahead and say Noah's Mill. 

Cask strength peanut anyone? Reminds me of whatever Wathens Single Barrel is sourced from only worse. 

• I like it 2

The Jesse James and Lexington are both undrinkable neat.  I'm slowly working them down by solera blending and mixing into fizzy lifting drinks.  I try to block out the stinkers, so a list would be difficult.  Rather, I generally cringe when I see them on the shelf after finishing a stinker.   

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Cask strength peanut anyone? Reminds me of whatever Wathens Single Barrel is sourced from only worse. 

I thought the same thing when I opened my last bottle of Noah’s Mill but it really morphed into something great halfway through the bottle—a lot of delicious cherry notes started creeping in that attenuated the peanut bomb a bit. Hopefully yours will turn out the same way.

As for the worst bourbon I’ve had, I’d agree with the above comment that FEW is pretty terrible.

Edited by NYCBourbon
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, beasled said:

Iv'e had worse, but a long time ago I sampled Noah's Mill at a store that had a tasting bar. The sample tasted pretty good, so I bought a bottle. The bottle I bought didn't taste anything at all like the one I sampled from. I'm not sure about the peanut taste, but I do remember it being very bitter/tannic, and the finish was really dry. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

This one is a rye, not a bourbon, but undrinkable. Its a sulfur bomb. The distiller says he makes his bourbon & rye in an Irish whiskey fashion, which I suppose means more barley malt; the bourbon is a 2-grain but I havent tried it. Actually Im scared to death to try it.

20171213_195249.jpg

1 hour ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

This one is a rye, not a bourbon, but undrinkable. Its a sulfur bomb. The distiller says he makes his bourbon & rye in an Irish whiskey fashion, which I suppose means more barley malt; the bourbon is a 2-grain but I havent tried it. Actually Im scared to death to try it.

20171213_195249.jpg

Perhaps he means triple-distilled?

7 minutes ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Perhaps he means triple-distilled?

Perhaps, but I would expect a cleaner, lighter whiskey if 3x distilled. 

19 hours ago, beasled said:

Foil top or Wax?

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, beasled said:

Foil top, batch 16-25. 

Yeah at this point I don't buy KBD stuff unless it is Wax top.

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

No choice this side! :D

12 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Yep. I don't take the chance anymore either.

They will eventually get the quality back up as they transition to their own distillate and have control over their supply. As it stands now though, they are limited by the out of control costs of sourced whiskey.

Probably Jim Beam 7 year. Very chemically/plastic-y smell; something akin to the red wax used to package Babybel cheese. In addition, it tasted of fake cherries and, overall, very thin and astringent. Took the bottle into work (completely normal) and tasted everyone. Most were in agreement. Found someone less sensitive to the offensiveness and I gladly surrendered the bottle to his care.

Otherwise, I'd say Old Charter 101 or Ancient Age 90. I'd say both "very forgettable," except I'm remembering how miserably bland and boring both were. Both a great disappointment (and I wasn't expecting much to begin with).

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, Whiskeythink.com said:

20171213_195249.jpg

You buy something with a label that looks like that can't you expect it to pretty much be a stinker??? :wacko:

And I am relieved to see by the website that this is not THE Joe Morgan!

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You buy something with a label that looks like that can't you expect it to pretty much be a stinker??? :wacko:

LOL!  I was thinking the same thing.  Even the horse has an expression that suggests he is appalled!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I live about 20 minutes from Morgantown.  I didn't even know they had a distillery.

On 12/15/2017 at 4:33 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

I kinda like the label, & would just keep it if I didnt need room in the whiskey cabinet. Maybe it would get better after oxidizing for couple years (!).  The bourbon has the same label except says BOURBON. At least it was cheap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.