The absolute WORST bourbon I ever tasted was......

starhopper
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 8/31/2017 at 0:24 PM, kevinbrink said:

I know people like this they are all fans of Craft Bourbon, the weirdos who happily plunk down the scratch for Hudson or whatever bullshit says Grain to Glass as if that means anything.

These must be people who started with craft bourbon, acquired a taste for it, and now think that this is how bourbon is supposed to taste.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

These must be people who started with craft bourbon, acquired a taste for it, and now think that this is how bourbon is supposed to taste.

Yeah, the Hudson Four-Grain is one of my pet peeves in the craft category. Poor taste and harsh. I don't understand how they've been so successful.

I knew someone who didn't like the old Phighting Phallus 103 as he used to call it. I actually like the Fighting Cock 103. And I didn't even mind the artwork on the bottle. :-)

Edited by BourbonDude

6 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

I knew someone who didn't like the old Phighting Phallus 103 as he used to call it. I actually like the Fighting Cock 103. And I didn't even mind the artwork on the bottle. :-)

'Twas not me.  One 750 of FC just came home with me.  On purpose.  About once a year, I just crave that harsh, burning, unbalanced, but unforgettable mishmash of flavors.  It happens about the time baseball season winds down and football season starts up.  Maybe it's a weather-related thing.

Have to change my much-earlier post on this thread from, I think it was, Old Bardstown Estate Bottled to Old Crow.  FINALLY finished the OCrow I bought just to see what it tasted like.  It, too, is "unforgettable" or at least I sure hope I don't forget and buy another one.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

The worst I ever had was probably some rot gut that we bought to take to a football game back when I was in college.  Of course that was so long ago that I can't remember what it was.  Since I started my true bourbon journey earlier this year the worst I've had is still good.  I've only bought a couple of what would be called bottom shelf bottles which probably explains why I can find something good about almost all of my bottles.  Maybe the most disappointing was the Bernheim Wheat.  I like my wheated bourbons and figured that I would really like it.  It's not bad it's just too sweet for me.

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

'Twas not me.  One 750 of FC just came home with me.  On purpose.  About once a year, I just crave that harsh, burning, unbalanced, but unforgettable mishmash of flavors.  It happens about the time baseball season winds down and football season starts up.  Maybe it's a weather-related thing.

Have to change my much-earlier post on this thread from, I think it was, Old Bardstown Estate Bottled to Old Crow.  FINALLY finished the OCrow I bought just to see what it tasted like.  It, too, is "unforgettable" or at least I sure hope I don't forget and buy another one.

I'm with you. I used the FC103 in one of the first bourbon tastings I did 30 years ago as an example of a decent, modest-priced bourbon at a very respectable proof level for the money. Sure, it's a bit harsh but then I don't expect a 10+ yr. age at that price and it has a lot of flavor, actually lots of flavors as it's more complex than most as you pointed out. So yeah, I'm definitely okay with a bottle of FC103 compared to a lot more "respectable" and favored bourbons that cost a lot more.

Edited by BourbonDude
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, BourbonDude said:

. . . I'm definitely okay with a bottle of FC103 compared to a lot more "respectable" and favored bourbons that cost a lot more.

That reminds me of a Walter Brennan line from the "Real McCoys", an ancient TV series.  Grand-daughter-in-law Kate McCoy (Kathleen Nolan) married to grandson Luke (Richard (never-out-of-work) Crenna) McCoy serves coq au vin for supper.  Amos (Walter) McCoy makes a skeptical face and asks, "What's this here we're eatin'?"  Kate answers, "It's chicken cooked in wine, Gran'pa."  Amos/Walter says, "Well, I ain't eatin' no chicken that has to get liquored up to get served to me."

I have no idea WHY BD's comment reminded me of that, but it did.:unsure:  Maybe, it was the Fighting Cock reference.

Ha-ha! Luv the old Real McCoy quote as I was a big fan of Brennan as a character actor and the series (I'm sure you know he's the only actor to win the Academy Award three times in the supporting role category). I'm sure we're dating ourselves, but it's a perfect example of what we're talking about. :-)

Edited by BourbonDude

I can't count the times I watched the Real McCoy's on TV. Wish I had a few bottles of bourbon from that time.  Ha!

Bird Dog is the one that I remember *very* clearly. It was the only option at a cheap college party I was somehow dragged into a few years ago, except for the glorious Rittenhouse I brought. I had a taste of Bird Dog just for the experience, and felt miserable for the rest of the night. Funny thing is, only I drank from the Rittenhouse that night, all the kids were saying it was rotgut.

1 hour ago, Patrick_OKC said:

I can't count the times I watched the Real McCoy's on TV. Wish I had a few bottles of bourbon from that time.  Ha!

:-)

That makes two of us. :-)

19 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Almost forgot about the Woodford Reserve Master's Collection 4 Grain...

Ah, gee.  I had totally blacked out the Straight Malt/Classic Malt WRMC.  Now, like hearing "It's a Small World After All", it'll be weeks before I can expunge it from inside my head.:angry:

On 9/2/2017 at 1:00 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

FC is definitely a football related thing. I always try to have some on hand for South Carolina games.

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Ah, gee.  I had totally blacked out the Straight Malt/Classic Malt WRMC.  Now, like hearing "It's a Small World After All", it'll be weeks before I can expunge it from inside my head.:angry:

HA! I got it wrong, it WAS the Classic Malt that was the one I had. Damn, I'd almost forgotten it too. I gave it away and got (funny) complaints from the recipient who couldn't even successfully drown it in mixers!

• 2 weeks later...

My worst was undoubtedly Abner Doubleday Baseball Bourbon from Cooperstown Distillery.  I bought this online because I really liked the bottle/decanter it came in.  When ordering, I found out that I could buy the empty bottle for $40, or the full one for $50.  Should have taken the hint...

This carries an age statement of 3 months (found out upon receiving).  I tried it every way I could think of, even shared with a less-discriminating buddy, and neither of us could finish a glass no matter what we did.  That is the only whiskey I've ever put down the sink...

Still have the decanter and display box.  Those are cool.  

http://cooperstowndistillery.com/product/abner-doubledays-baseball-bourbon/

3 minutes ago, Gorzo said:

Anything with a Winchester label. Going to use it on my weeds when I run out of Roundup.  

LOL, son, LOL.  Good news is, I wasn't sipping at the time.  Had I been, . . .

On 1/26/2016 at 7:17 PM, ebo said:

As usual, I will go against the grain and say Four Roses Yellow Label. I know I'm in the extreme minority, but I find it to be just bland and totally meh..............

Hey man I'm with you on this one Bud.

It is the 2nd worst I've tasted.

It's not like it made me hurl or anything...but I find a manure taste in that juice that I just can't get over.

I've tried it from 3 different bottles (only bought 1)

About a 1/2 second after I swallow...tastes like a cow pie smells.

Lots of dairy farms around here.

I smell enough S#!t...don't need to drink it too.

Edited by JPK

the worst I've tried?.....

New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon.

Stuff tastes like it's 25% gin

Horrible! just plain sickening!

I called..left a message. no return

Wrote multiple emails...no reply

All I wanted to know is if they had a bad batch.

If so I might try again....I love beer too.

No reply= they don't give a damn=I don't give em $$$

Town Branch is pretty disgusting...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeah, it is distilled here in Lexington and I agree it is pretty disgusting.

The worst bourbon I have ever drank is Eagle Rare. My bottle tasted like a moldy crawlspace with no ventilation and a dusting of asbestos.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

The worst bourbon I have ever drank is Eagle Rare. My bottle tasted like a moldy crawlspace with no ventilation and a dusting of asbestos.

You must have got a bad bottle Fitz. All the ER's I've had for a while now have been pretty decent, if not great.

Cheers! Joe

1 hour ago, OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel said:

My bottle tasted like a moldy crawlspace with no ventilation and a dusting of asbestos.

Ick. Would that be wet asbestos? :P

Wow, this is one of the best descriptors I've seen recently. I can vividly imagine this...

Sorry your ER had this flavor. It's not one of my favorites, but I'm pretty sure it's supposed to taste better than that

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.