What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, flahute said:

Which batch ya got there sir? These can really vary (as has been my experience).

I'm still on the Stagg Jr./OC8 blend train. Trying to kill some bottles and the OC8 is almost empty.

Steve, It looks to be batch QBC-N (15-27), whatever that means...

Really enjoying a blend of Henry McKenna BIB and Pikesville Rye.  Great way to start a few days off.  

Warm still eve in MN. Enoyining som EWB with ice and water while watching hoops with my wife. 

Tonight has an OESV kinda feel to it. Love the warm slow finish at 114 proof, neat. 

Tonight is an ECBP night. Don't know the batch, but all of them are very good. 

14 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Rowan's Creek is my basketball pour of the evening.

Knob Creek for me.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Another Stagg Jr./OC8 blend tonight. Finally killed the OC8. From here on out, I'll blend with regular BT if needed. 

Following with a freshly cracked WTRB. First few pours were kind of meh, but I know what this should taste like so I'm being patient and it's coming around as I get deeper into the pour.

Thoroughly enjoying a pour from the most recent Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof batch (132.40 proof) - what a damn fine bourbon whiskey!:)

7 hours ago, starhopper said:

Thoroughly enjoying a pour from the most recent Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof batch (132.40 proof) - what a damn fine bourbon whiskey!:)

It most certainly is!  I've gone through one of these and continue to be greatly tempted to open the one I have in the bunker.

On 5/23/2016 at 10:10 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

OGD BIB tonight. Last night went with mckenna 10 yr. Bib.....wasn't overly impressed. I'll have to try again in a few days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

What Steve said.  Plus, like you I've not been pleased with some bottles I bought.  Now, I buy one, open it as soon as I get home.  If I like it, I go back and get several, making sure it is the same batch.  If I don't like it, I make a mental note not to buy some for awhile.

I'm having a pour or two of  Weller SR to celebrate the end of the week, and also to celebrate the start of the Memorial Day weekend. :D

Cheers! Joe

Now that my outdoor-work-supplemented-with-session-beer-because-it's-hot-out-there is done,  I finished off the tailings (about a half ounce) of a 1 liter WT101 which I kept around so I wouldn't have to lie to Paul when chatting about what I was drinking.  OGD bonded is at hand while I prepare for Friday night baseball (STL v. Nats).

A couple of afternoon tries from a Knob Creek 2001.  It is a solid whiskey, that really shines on the nose.  Very well integrated throughout, and drinks under both it's proof and assumed age.  Nice cherry note up front, which is always a favorite in a whiskey for me.  

Edited by smokinjoe
Fat fingers, poor eyesight, or both...

A couple of afternoon tries from a Knob Creek 2091.  It is a solid whiskey, that really shines on the nose.  Very well integrated throughout, and drinks under both it's proof and assumed age.  Nice cherry note up front, which is always a favorite in a whiskey for me.  

Do what??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going with four roses sb, better than I remembered from last time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Just finished off a bottle of Evan Williams SB 2004. It was not a good barrel, but I finished it off anyway.  That stuff is inconsistent.  Have an open bottle of 2002 that is excellent.

I'll probably have some WT Kentucky Spirit 2007 later tonight.

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Just finished off a bottle of Evan Williams SB 2004. It was not a good barrel, but I finished it off anyway.  That stuff is inconsistent.  Have an open bottle of 2002 that is excellent.

Oh, the vagaries of single barrels....And so, somebody(s) somewhere(s), loves that barrel... ;)

WTRR SB followed by a 2 ounce pour from a near empty '84 ER 101. 

As I drink this beautiful whiskey-candy, I lament the loss of the 'old' 101, as well as a few others that my recollection regards as similarly produced from this era of my youth.  Golden copper, with bits of barrel char floating about the glass...  Clinging, long and thick legs...  Butterscotch and cotton candy on the nose... thick and oily mouthfeel, followed by a perfect balance of sweet candied fruit, spice, leather and oak.  Little to no burn, but a very lengthy and satisfyingly warm finish.  I know the age statement says 10 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't older, given the era in which it was produced. 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

WTRR SB followed by a 2 ounce pour from a near empty '84 ER 101. 

As I drink this beautiful whiskey-candy, I lament the loss of the 'old' 101, as well as a few others that my recollection regards as similarly produced from this era of my youth.  Golden copper, with bits of barrel char floating about the glass...  Clinging, long and thick legs...  Butterscotch and cotton candy on the nose... thick and oily mouthfeel, followed by a perfect balance of sweet candied fruit, spice, leather and oak.  Little to no burn, but a very lengthy and satisfyingly warm finish.  I know the age statement says 10 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't older, given the era in which it was produced. 

Pitter patter goes my heart. Oh how I loved the old ER 101. Sighhhh......If only I knew then.

Started the night with Booker's 2016-01. Now onto some WTRB. Will likely go Stagg Jr. to finish the night.

Started with a "dusty" of Canadian Club Sherry Cask - which is awful, sickly sweet, sherry mess.

Decided to give it some balls by adding a liberal splash of SAOS Wood Guy #1.

I think I might be getting good at this - now we've got a Frankenwhiskey that knows how to steal the girl. Perhaps not the local beauty queen, but the quiet one who all the boys know about...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.