What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Started with a "dusty" of Canadian Club Sherry Cask - which is awful, sickly sweet, sherry mess.

Decided to give it some balls by adding a liberal splash of SAOS Wood Guy #1.

I think I might be getting good at this - now we've got a Frankenwhiskey that knows how to steal the girl. Perhaps not the local beauty queen, but the quiet one who all the boys know about...

TBT! Good to see you posting. Are you stateside now? I know you're not on a boat since you can drink.

1 hour ago, flahute said:

TBT! Good to see you posting. Are you stateside now? I know you're not on a boat since you can drink.

Astute observation, as expected, Flahute.

Yup, in Houston atm. I've had a wonderful month, and am glad to be returning to the internet. Haven't had a lot to contribute to sb.com since I've been spending the month drinking down my dusty hunting mistakes mostly. Many months to go in that department! - But I have enjoyed catching up on everything.

Whiskey Nervosa has given way to Whiskey Zen. I've been loving CRNH, which I'm about to embark on a $328 12-case of. I'm loving walking past the $50+ offerings with an unfettered conscience! More soon and all the best!

^^^^^^good for you, Paul!^^^^^^

welcome;) to the sunny side of the street!!

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Whiskey Nervosa has given way to Whiskey Zen. I've been loving CRNH, which I'm about to embark on a $328 12-case of. I'm loving walking past the $50+ offerings with an unfettered conscience! More soon and all the best!

I've been transitioning into a similar place myself. Drinking down the mistake purchases (I don't have that many left now), stocking up on staples and 4R PS barrels when I see them. I've also been walking away from the $50+ bottles for the most part. I'm not chasing anything anymore outside of BTAC and that's only for about 1 week once a year. I'm definitely a lot closer to Zen than I used to be. 

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Whatever Joe did - he fixed it before I saw it.  ON THREAD - OGD bonded.  I bought a Larceny but didn't pop it.

Joe was drinking some 2091 Knob Creek.

On topic, a little standard KC, followed by some Stagg Jr. (without any OC8). A few drops of water had Jr. tasting just fine tonight.

Yesterday afternoon my daughter and I went on a golf cart ride and stopped to visit a neighbor. We didn't expec to stay long, but we finally got back home about midnight. Mainly because he was fixing to bbq and since I showed up he wanted me to cook.

Here is the point to this story.... Over the years I've always helped him cook for big party's or neighborhood party's at his house, and I bring bourbon with me. After some of the party's I'll leave a bottle of bourbon at his house for nights like last night (so when I dont bring bourbon I'll have some there). He said, you have plenty of bourbon here so you can't leave. I had kind of forgotten what all I had left there over the years. 

So last night I had a little of everything.  It was all good.... even the food. 

image.jpeg

Hosting a bourbon tasting this afternoon.  Just finished putting the palate cleansers together, should be all set  The theme is different distilleries.  On tap: WT Masters Keep, ER17, JB Distillers Masterpiece, JJ Bowman SB, OF 1897, 4R OESV and ECBP Batch 11.

Put a brisket in the smoker this morning.  While tending to it, I had some coffee with a wee bit of 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey.  Now that it's after noon and the brisket is wrapped and hopefully coming up to temp, I switched first to a pour of CEHTBP and now some SAOS9SB CS.

Two oz. of 1792 Sweet Wheat neat earlier and now sipping on OGDBIB while watching "Robots".

While finishing up the brisket, I had a pour of JDSBBP.  Never thought I'd like a JD product, but this stuff is delicious!  With dinner, I went to a standards SAOS7, followed by a pour of my buddy's RRSB Rye.  It had a bit of an unpleasant nose, but wasn't bad otherwise.  After that though, I went back to the SAOS9SB BP to finish it off.  Sad to see it go, but fortunately, I have more.

After a bunch of yard work, I dug out the ETL from the back row of the bourbon shelf. It was delivering nicely this afternoon. Grilled some t-bones and enjoyed a feast and figured the holiday weekend was just cause to pull from the limited shelf. Some ORVW10yr hit the spot followed by some '14 GTS

A nice pour of WLW 125.3 this morning.  The bad news:  It's back to work tomorrow.

Went to a memorial day party yesterday. I brought with me ER10 which is always a go to favorite. The host who is not into whiskey said he'd gotten a bottle of Bourbon (he thinks) after an acquaintance had past away. My friend and I who are very much into Bourbon appreciated the opportunity to drink something we may likely not come across again. It's not a valuable Bourbon to my knowledge but it is old. And very good too. I believe it is from the 70's? Really enjoyed this all afternoon. 

2016-05-30%2009.32.57.jpg

11 hours ago, Flyhighx said:

Went to a memorial day party yesterday. I brought with me ER10 which is always a go to favorite. The host who is not into whiskey said he'd gotten a bottle of Bourbon (he thinks) after an acquaintance had past away. My friend and I who are very much into Bourbon appreciated the opportunity to drink something we may likely not come across again. It's not a valuable Bourbon to my knowledge but it is old. And very good too. I believe it is from the 70's? Really enjoyed this all afternoon. 

That is really cool.  I know a lot of folks will tell you 1970s Four Roses is nothing special and it is a blend.  But, still, I would have loved to have tried it.  It sounds like you really liked it which makes it that much better!

Enjoyed the final pour of a bottle of Larceny while BBQing country style ribs for the family tonight.  A special thank you to all those who served and sacrificed (and the families of those who sacrificed) so that my family and I could enjoy this day and evening.  I served but my commitment was during peace time (post-Vietnam) with little threat of war.  I think back to my father's generation, my older sibling's and today's generation and I have the utmost respect for what they did and continue to do.

I am now enjoying a pour of one of the first generation of EC post-age statement.  This one is from 2015.  I bought a bottle of EC NAS today thinking that it was about time I give it a try.  Then, when I went to put the new bottle (2016) away, I saw that I already had a bottle.  I figured it was time to open it.  While I always enjoyed EC12, I found it at the edge of woodiness for enjoyment.  I have had 15 year old whiskies that I have enjoyed but I find most older than that too woody.  This EC seems slightly less woody.  However, that could be more psychological than factual since it is from right after the age statement was removed.  Either way, I like it.  While I don't like to see age statements disappear, I was looking forward to EC at a slightly younger age.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Enjoyed the final pour of a bottle of Larceny while BBQing country style ribs for the family tonight.  A special thank you to all those who served and sacrificed (and the families of those who sacrificed) so that my family and I could enjoy this day and evening.  I served but my commitment was during peace time (post-Vietnam) with little threat of war.  I think back to my father's generation, my older sibling's and today's generation and I have the utmost respect for what they did and continue to do.

I am now enjoying a pour of one of the first generation of EC post-age statement.  This one is from 2015.  I bought a bottle of EC NAS today thinking that it was about time I give it a try.  Then, when I went to put the new bottle (2016) away, I saw that I already had a bottle.  I figured it was time to open it.  While I always enjoyed EC12, I found it at the edge of woodiness for enjoyment.  I have had 15 year old whiskies that I have enjoyed but I find most older than that too woody.  This EC seems slightly less woody.  However, that could be more psychological than factual since it is from right after the age statement was removed.  Either way, I like it.  While I don't like to see age statements disappear, I was looking forward to EC at a slightly younger age.

Thanks for your service, and all those who have served. Closing out the day with the last pour from my OWA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last night I cracked open the bottle of Tin Cup that I purchased over the weekend.  While I can't say anything bad about it, I can't say anything overly positive.  I find it fairly simple with the normal bourbon flavors of brown sugar, baking spices and grain.  The finish disappeared within seconds of consuming.  I will give it another taste later tonight hoping it will have improved from being opened. I think I will enjoy it well enough to not toss out, but once it's gone it won't be replaced. 

Keepin' my Beam Love Train goin' tonight with a Booker's Bluegrass.  

Booker's "Dot's Batch" (2015-2) with ice in a double Old Fashioned glass.  Quick smoked (i.e., indirect heat for 1/2 hour w/lid closed @ air temp 275-300 at the cook surface) a King salmon chunk.  Dinner's over.  THIS is dessert.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
typos - I'm drinking bourbon so . . .

Finished a W12 last night. By far the tastiest of the W12s that have passed through my hands, I will miss it but have some OWA that I got to pair with that 12 ( they were far better separate). That will be the next one emptied, also stellar and will be thoroughly enjoyed on its way to empty.

Just finished a post-work EWSB 2006 vintage. Getting to the bottom third of the bottle. What a great value for a quality bourbon. Although I've chided the shortening aging time on EWSB Vintage from time to time, I really noticed tonight that this 2006 vintage had plenty of woody character. In fact, I dare say that I noticed a little more oak than I prefer as I sipped tonight. I don't like the fact that there need to be changes in the bourbon world based on supply and demand, but, as a sit here tonight, I have to tip my hat to Heaven Hill for keeping the quality level of the EWSB line high, keeping it widely available, and keeping it reasonably priced.

Had a decent day at work for a change. :huh: I'm having a couple of pours of SAOS 7 yr in honor of the occasion. :P

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.