What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To kick of the spring I chose WLW 134.8.  First neat then following a few drops of water.  This one needs to be cut down just a bit.

I guess it was technically still winter last night but I opened up a Balcones bourbon.  I had a taste of it a year or so ago and thought it was a bit young and harsh (along with the typical Texas corn taste I don't like much).  But I added a bit of water last night and I really liked it.  Very intense nose that I'm still not sure I like - I can't quite place my finger on it - very smokey, maybe almost scotch-like?  But my palate was pleasantly surprised.

Edited by dcbt
typo

Enjoyed a few fingers of a Binny's OWA PS. I noticed a bit of soot on the finish that I hadn't noticed before.  But, still, it is a great bottle and it is a remarkably easy sipper at 107 proof.

Finished off a great bottles of Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms, Four Roses SB and Buffalo Trace during band practice on Sunday....my bandmates don't believe in "last pours" bottles.

Tonight it's a 2008 Beam Distiller's Choice. 

Closed my eyes and reached into the cabinet and pulled out this Frankfort Bulleit.  I've been rationing out my pours on this one.  And, though it's been open for several years, it has held up very well, and is still the entirely mediocre bourbon it has always been...  ;)

image.jpg

Carrying water for the cult tonight as I have a couple bottles with low fill lines I'm working on consistently until they are empty: OESO and OBSO in that order. Capping the evening with a tiny pour of ECBP.

Wow Joe, that's an old Bulleit bottle.  I had heard of it, but never saw one until it had the current old fashioned looking label.  Before we had it in IN, I bought one in TN.  It was sort of a big deal to me at the time.  We had no 4R products available.

I had the luck to aquire some 1974 JW Dant BIB.  I had no idea what it would taste like, but DAMN was it good.  I've started to turn away form the hot new releases and go with 2005 and older bottles.  Was able to pick up a few 2005 Ole Fitz's recently can't wait to try them. 

dant 3.jpg

dant1.jpg

dant 2.jpg

Edited by HOF44

It's Blanton's out back by the pond, tonight.  Blanton's just has every base covered for me.  Foremost, it's a wonderful whiskey to drink.  A perfectly elegant combination of everything I look for in a bourbon.  But, beyond that, Blanton's leaves none of my senses, from Sight to Sound, to Taste, to Smell, and Touch, unaddressed. Even grasping the horse and twisting off the cork is a unique and happiness inducing experience.  And, all done with the utmost quality and class.  Pretty special stuff, this Blanton's...

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It's Blanton's out back by the pond, tonight.  Blanton's just has every base covered for me.  Foremost, it's a wonderful whiskey to drink.  A perfectly elegant combination of everything I look for in a bourbon.  But, beyond that, Blanton's leaves none of my senses, from Sight to Sound, to Taste, to Smell, and Touch, unaddressed. Even grasping the horse and twisting off the cork is a unique and happiness inducing experience.  And, all done with the utmost quality and class.  Pretty special stuff, this Blanton's...

If I had to live on only one bourbon, and current market conditions are considered, Blanton's may very well be my choice.

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

But, beyond that, Blanton's leaves none of my senses, from Sight to Sound, to Taste, to Smell, and Touch.

Is the bourbon talking to you again Joe?  I think you may have reached an incurable level of  whiskirexia nervosa.  I'm going have a pour of RHF and see if the bourbon is talking.  Cheers -Ryan

I've been in a 4R rut, but I'm OK with that. OESO and OBSO once again tonight.

I'm having a couple of pours of 07 WLW after work today. I'm lamenting the loss yet again, of my beloved 05 Pontiac Aztek, aka "the bourbonmobile". I sold my Aztek to a buddy of mine at work for his sons girlfriend. She was visiting her mother yesterday evening, and had parked out in front of her mothers house. Long story short, a guy speeding crashed into it. Barring a miracle, she's now gone for good. :(

The pic below is from a few years ago. Getting ready to head out on a fishing trip to Canada.

Joe

azek.jpg

After 3 weeks or so of WR Sonoma Im VERY glad to open a bottle of of EC12. Feels like Im back home with a nice classic bourbon in my glass.

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm having a couple of pours of 07 WLW after work today. I'm lamenting the loss yet again, of my beloved 05 Pontiac Aztek, aka "the bourbonmobile". I sold my Aztek to a buddy of mine at work for his sons girlfriend. She was visiting her mother yesterday evening, and had parked out in front of her mothers house. Long story short, a guy speeding crashed into it. Barring a miracle, she's now gone for good. :(

The pic below is from a few years ago. Getting ready to head out on a fishing trip to Canada.

Joe

azek.jpg

Ohhhh.........that hurts. 

Where in Canada will you be fishing? I went on a crazy trip to Milbanke Sound last year that was amazing (brought home 80 lbs. of fish, we're still eating it).

On topic, a little ETL, a little OESO, finishing with a little OBSQ (in honor of Paddy).

Crazy March Friday - temperature is 77F in the mid-Atlantic.  First charcoal grilling of the season is tonight, and it is fish & veggies.  Oh, well, at least the moss from the winter will burn off the kettle, and I have a reason to insulate myself with bourbon.  Started early with a short pour of Abe Bowman Touriga/Merlot wine finished (short because this is the only bottle i could snag & it's only a 375ml) then OGD BIB.  Fire starts in 2 hours.  I hope I remember how to start it.  Been so long.

In the spirit of opening LE's instead of looking at them, I just polished off a THH and opened a PVW15 and ER17. 

I'm having a very good glass of OWA 107. This is a 2016 bottle, (I haven't bought a 107 in a few years) it's still a very good pour. I have an old 7y open I'll have to pour a glass of later to test it agents the newer bottle. 

image.thumb.jpeg.887847dad5551712769f212

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.