What beer are you drinking? Spring 2016.

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

I e-mailed Dark Horse and they said one year.  I drank on last night.  It was very good after it stood (warmed up) for a while.  Like most good/great beer it shouldn't be drank too cold.  

I'll age the others for a bit and I might age one for 1-2 years.  With the exception of IPA/DIPA (very hoppy beers) strong beers age very well usually better after aging than when fresh.

I picked up some of that this week as well. I think it's drinking very nice fresh; the smokiness of the base beer interacts well with the barrel aging. Good stuff.

I'll probably put a couple back for aging and see how it changes.

On April 24, 2016 at 5:55 PM, DPPSmoker said:

Fixin' to have me a Great Lakes Chill Wave DIPA with my tri-tip dinner tonight.

Had 2 today. Great DIPA!!!

On 4/24/2016 at 6:55 PM, DPPSmoker said:

Fixin' to have me a Great Lakes Chill Wave DIPA with my tri-tip dinner tonight.

Chillwave (previously Alchemy Ale) is a great brew.

Having a very good stout before supper tonight an Avery Brewing Co "Tweak". It has a crazy amount of alcohol for a beer 17.5%. I really like this one. 

image.jpeg

This 3 Taverns "A Night in Brussels" Belgian Style American IPA is particularly nice as we head toward dusk on this warm night here, Down South.  

Maine Beer Co. MO Pale Ale, incredibly good.

Against the Grain Sho Nuff, boring.

Reading through this thread, it seems like a who's who of great beer.  

Spread out since this weekend:

I had the first of my bottles of '16 Founders KBS, always a delight

A bottle of '15 Sierra Nevada Hoptimum that I think I let sit too long (still good though)

Dark Horse BA Scotty Karate for the first time...it was good but I think I prefer Founders Backwoods Bastard or Central Waters BA Scotch Ale.  Maybe that thought will change after I cellar my 2nd bottle for a while.

New Glarus Scream IIPA...I try to get some New Glarus stuff when I travel to WI and it might be time for another trip because I only have a couple bottles of the Milk Stout left and nothing else

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree for the first time...interesting beer, doesn't really taste like a double/imperial IPA but pretty good.  I'm not sure I'd pay $18 for a 4-pack though.

"On deck"

New Holland Dragon's Milk Reserve:  Coffee and Chocolate

'15 Dogfish Head 120 Minute (will probably need to share this due to high ABV)

'15 Sierra Nevada Narwhal

Jason

Out back listening to the Braves on the radio and trying to force down a Wicked Weed "Tropicmost" Passionfruit Gose beer.  I like many Wicked Weed beers.  Top notch offerings from this quality brewer,  but this has nearly no redeeming qualities.  I'm sure it's well done for this style, but pardon me for saying, this style sux.  While Googling Gose, I came upon the following article which resonated well with me:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/craft-beer-is-dead-gose-ruined-craft-beer

Had a couple Sam Adams Boston Ale.  It is easily my favorite offering from Sam Adams, I only wish it was more widely available like the rest of their lineup.

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Out back listening to the Braves on the radio and trying to force down a Wicked Weed "Tropicmost" Passionfruit Gose beer.  I like many Wicked Weed beers.  Top notch offerings from this quality brewer,  but this has nearly no redeeming qualities.  I'm sure it's well done for this style, but pardon me for saying, this style sux.  While Googling Gose, I came upon the following article which resonated well with me:

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/craft-beer-is-dead-gose-ruined-craft-beer

This is too good. Has bourbon reached its Icelandic tone poem moment yet or is there still time to go?

On May 4, 2016 at 0:29 PM, jp_stargazer said:

Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree for the first time...interesting beer, doesn't really taste like a double/imperial IPA but pretty good.  I'm not sure I'd pay $18 for a 4-pack though.

Double Crooked Tree was bottled in January, so it's probably lost a lot of its hop character and moved into American barleywine territory by now. See if you can try it when it's fresh next year.

19 hours ago, amg said:

Double Crooked Tree was bottled in January, so it's probably lost a lot of its hop character and moved into American barleywine territory by now. See if you can try it when it's fresh next year.

That makes sense, I didn't check the bottling date.  I've noticed some hoppy beers seem to age better than others.  I have had year old Bell's Hopslam that was really good still but it definitely loses some hoppiness and becomes more balanced with the honey sweetness.  Last night I had a Founder's Devil Dancer that was still delicious, despite being released last summer.  Perhaps the higher ABV helps.

I was visiting my parents for Mother's Day this weekend and went to Pig Minds Brewing in Machesney Park, IL (outside of Rockford) for the first time.  I worked my way through a flight of the 10 beers they had on draft and enjoyed them all with a couple being standouts (Joe Daddy coffee stout and Monks and Plums belgian ale with plums)

Jason

Grilling Italian Sausage and enjoying a Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga' Substitute Ale. A little malty, a little hoppy, a little sweet and a little bitter, all at the same time. Really nice!

Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin with pizza tonight. I think I might be getting tired of IPA's......

Very Tasty!

Sofie | Goose Island Beer Co.

Cheers!

Had a Logboat Jupiter's Moon, an Imperial Red while watching my Blues play.  Simply fantastic beer.

Bourbon Barrel Aged Wheatwine Ale 2016 Reserve | Full Sail Brewery & Tasting Room & Pub

Cheers!

Yesterday I tried Hopsoulution DIPA from Bell's.  Quite good.

I had friends and family over on Saturday.  I shared bottles of Dark Horse BBA Plead the Fifth and Odd Side Ales Hazel's Nuts.  Both were a rousing success.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.