What Is In Your Wheelhouse, lately?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Earlier this evening, I had a Ga-Ga moment over a pour of Baker's.  Which, led me to thinking that I've had a LOT of Ga-Ga moments with Baker's over the last couple of months.  Beam whiskies in general, and BAKER's specifically, have just been in my Wheelhouse.  Right now, they just hit everything I'm looking for in a bourbon.  Of course, it was something else before, and it will be something different down the road.  But, right now...Baker's is rockin' my world. 

So, I ask this board...What bottle has you recently coming back to it?  What do you keep finding yourself pouring?  What is in YOUR WHEELHOUSE, of late? 

2014 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. I found it very underwhelming the first year and a half it was open but the last month or so it's outstanding every time I open it.

Anything from BT mash bill #2 seems real good right now.

rock hill

ETL

Bowman bros

blantons

in that order

It has been a struggle (well, sort of) to stay away from the higher proof offerings - that is, anything above bonded.  Downside is that I seem to be fixated on bondeds plus WT101.  The current "bonded" rotation includes VOB, OGD, 4RSB, JB, KC, and the WT101.  Not all on the same day, let alone not all at once, of course.  On days when it's been over 70 degrees, I have traded in some Larceny or Bernheim, and I also finished off a couple of Abe Bowman releases @ 100 proof over the last six weeks (they didn't have much in them, so . . .). Edit - oh, SAOS 7yr @99 proof.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
forgot the SAOS

I'm kinda new too sipping bourbon so I'm still trying to find what my likes are. ER 10 and McKenna 10yr are tasty right now.

A single barrel store select OWA from Binnys has been hitting on all cylinders for me lately.  Before the OWA, RHF was my go too.  Lastly, I have a go to vatting of KC and JBB 8yr at 60/40 that I really enjoy.  The JBB mellows out the KC a bit and it is dangerously drinkable.

I had a serious Beam fixation going recently just like you Joe. Baker's was firmly at the heart of it, but KC and KCSB were firmly in the mix. I went through 1 and a half Bakers in short order and could have kept going. The only reason I didn't was that I sometimes worry my amateur OCD will lead me to overdo it and burn myself out on a product. So I forced myself to switch it up.

My current wheelhouse fixation is 4R Single Barrel. Standard issue as well as OESK, OESQ, and OBSF. I'm into them every single night with no sign of slowing down. They are working for me as well they ever have. I've been consistently introducing variation with HMcK BIB so you could say that's in the wheelhouse too, but it's playing a supporting role to a strong 4R themed main show that shows no sign of coming off main street Broadway. 

No drinking allowed, but I do walk up to the wheelhouse of this ship a few times a day.

So I guess I'm in my wheelhouse these days.

Still have the internet though, to indulge the feverish Whiskey Nervosa.

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

No drinking allowed, but I do walk up to the wheelhouse of this ship a few times a day.

So I guess I'm in my wheelhouse these days.

Still have the internet though, to indulge the feverish Whiskey Nervosa.

Ah, poor Mr. Tot!    I feel for ya' brother.    Keep thinking good thoughts and surfing the forums.     You'll be back in saddle before you know it.    I'll have a pour of something for you this afternoon or evening.   Any suggestions?

Bottled in Bond is in my wheelhouse.  I love a whiskey that has standards.  Right now, they do not cost an arm and a leg. That will change but that just means business is good.

Nearly everything I've poured from Beam in the last 6 months is killing it. OGD BIB and 114, then a Binny's KCSB, now a Booker's 2014-06. Even a Basil's I had at my sister's last month was decent enough. 

15 hours ago, Golzee said:

A single barrel store select OWA from Binnys has been hitting on all cylinders for me lately.  Before the OWA, RHF was my go too.  Lastly, I have a go to vatting of KC and JBB 8yr at 60/40 that I really enjoy.  The JBB mellows out the KC a bit and it is dangerously drinkable.

I can still find KC near me for $22 plus tax (although I usually pass because I have bunches in the basement or my wife is with me when I see it), and I have an open handle of JBB 8YR I haven't decanted yet.  Thanks for the vatting idea; I just happen to have some clean 400ml Container Store bottles ready.

Watching my pennies a bit lately. Buying bonded or high proof standard bottles. Two older stores in town have Fighting Cock 6 year old and orange cap OGDBIB for good prices. Next paycheck will find me visiting those stores.  Current sips have been WT101 and EWBIB. As my old man would say, "If you can't get it done with those, you shouldn't be doin' it."

BT is my favorite distillery, and I really like their products. I enjoy BT, ER, ETL, and all the Weller's. (especially the Weller's:P) Aside from that, my other favorites are BIB's. FWIW, I can't remember the last time that I didn't have a BIB or something from BT sitting open on the shelf of my cabinet.

Cheers! Joe

I really dig the Dickel barrel select lately.  I usually start out with something else but have made a habit of finishing with a small pour of GD.  The flavor contrast is delightful.  

I've owned a bottle of ER10 more than any other bourbon on my shelf but I don't find myself in a ER mood. I've been enjoying EC12 lately. As of right now I'm planning on opening up something younger but still good, any suggestions? I'm looking at 4-6yr ages (give or take a few months).

3 minutes ago, SebastianLloyd said:

I've owned a bottle of ER10 more than any other bourbon on my shelf but I don't find myself in a ER mood. I've been enjoying EC12 lately. As of right now I'm planning on opening up something younger but still good, any suggestions? I'm looking at 4-6yr ages (give or take a few months).

Buffalo Trace seems the logical move for a fan of ER10 in that age range (same mashbill).

Edited by Paddy

4R Private Selections... Can't get enough. I like some recipes more than others but I like them all.

Great topic, Joe!  Lately I find myself reaching for something from HHs wheated lineup pretty regularly. I  have all of them open, except OF Prime, and they're all batting in home runs for me!

A couple months ago MM46 was hitting the spot. Then I went through a standard BT phase. And the past few days it has been FRSB store select. It is funny how tastes change so often. And that is why I am unable to answer people when they ask me what my favorite bourbon is...much to their dismay.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.