What Is In Your Wheelhouse, lately?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Tony Santana said:

or a bottom shelfer like JTS Brown.

Nothing wrong with that!

I bet I have around 100 open bottles right now.  Anything goes.

Sounds awesome!  I'll be over shortly ;)

Just bought a bottle of Rock Town, Arkansas' own distillery.  It is really good stuff.

Interesting question so I checked.  Yes, there's some Old Grand Dad on board.

• 1 month later...

Maker' 46 seems to be on my docket regularly, lately.  Can't say it ever left, as I always enjoy it, but it's really been good of late, and I finish them quickly, and replace regularly...like today.  

Four Roses Single Barrel, Larceny, Bernheim, Pikesville Rye 6yr, and Evan Williams SB.  

Nice to see this thread revived.

Standard Knob Creek has been in my wheelhouse lately based on how fast my current bottle has gone from new to almost empty. Second in line would be WTRB.

Channeling Squire, OGD bonded has been my basic go-to.  I have worked some WTRB (batches 2 and 3) in there along with some JB bonded, but the OGD is first among equals.

EC NAS, MCK10, Ritt BIB is in my wheelhouse right now.  Once I work through a few of these I will focus on KC, KCSB, Bakers, etc.  My wheelhouse is quite big. :D

• 2 months later...

Recently went through a WT101 phase, followed by a HMcK SiB BIB phase. Currently going through a phase that puts JB Double Oak in my wheelhouse. 

I've been all about the BT stuff lately, reg BT, ER, Blanton's, HPR, CEHT SmB have all been great for me.  4R seems to be missing the mark for me lately, not sure why.

Hot weather has had Old Fitz BIB, ER10 and anything Weller in my wheelhouse of late. 

I suspect, with cooler weather moving in, the rye thread will start heating up...:D

20 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Hot weather has had Old Fitz BIB, ER10 and anything Weller in my wheelhouse of late. 

I suspect, with cooler weather moving in, the rye thread will start heating up...:D

Until Monday it's been hot here still, so I've actually been trying to clear off some rum.  But on the rye front - am I the only one who associates rye with summer?  On my palate rye = fruit, which I associate with summer.  I don't pick up the 'spice' of rye that I hear all the time, just fruit.  I realize I'm an outlier, though, just curious if anyone else is as well.

^^^^For me, it really never used to matter that much, but my palate has definitely gravitated away from rye during hot weather (over the past few years).  

As far as associations go, I do think that the majority of drinkers find the fuller flavors (spices) of the rye profile to be best appreciated with cooler weather.

As we always say, there is no right or wrong way (or in this case, time).;)

Lately, I've been trying to kill a bottle of 1792 Port Finish (definitely not in my wheelhouse, but decent enough) and a store pick RR Single Barrel that is amazing.

• 2 months later...

I had to fill my standard size Buffalo Trace from the family size last night, and I was surprised that I'll be needing another family size this week.  I swear I just bought this one !! :lol:  The sweet earthiness of BT is complementing the chilly weather and Holiday season really well lately.  It's definitely in my wheelhouse.

I'm currently on a Suntory Whisky Toki kick. Definitely not bourbon, but it is good stuff, both neat or in a highball.

Lately I've been liking me some Heaven Hill in general. HMc barrel 2270. Wish I could nab another. ECBP 139.4- yeah baby!

Beam has not been there for me much lately. I've gone back and forth with KC 100 and 120, Bakers, Bookers. The old 8yr Black has been good tho. Don't think I'll stock up any Bookers, price increase or no.

Found a BT Stagg Jr that's doing pretty well. The 132.5 hits it.

Liking the OF1920 quite a bit. Not as complex as some, but just mighty tasty that screams Bourbon!

I like making me some vat 750's. I like a base of JBB8, OGD114, with some top notes about 10% each of Stagg Jr 129 and Barterhouse. Gives nice age depth and candy flavors to some solid bourbon. yum. Actual cost about 28$ for a bottle of mighty fine pour at around 102-104 proof or so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.