What Is In Your Wheelhouse, lately?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Right now it's CEHT SmB for me. The flavor is exactly what I'm looking for and I can still find it at most stores and its still in the low $40 range.  

Willet Pot Still Reserve. batch 17C8

I know I'm becoming a black sheep by saying this but playing around with the water and rest time, this onion really has some layers. Overall it's easy to get that toffee and burnt caramel lots of corn (I really hate corn more and more) but if I can dial in the water it blooms something nice. The one time I didn't measure by weight my pour, I got: passion fruit, green apple, wine vine/grape skin/brandy, menthol, then the toffee, vanilla, old and new wood. It remains very hard to find pin down a fixed measure as it changes very quickly with the ever increasing air exposure/oxidation creating more notes of peanuts and butter. Leading me to the bottle....looks 7/10, pouring and handling/storing 1/10. decanter 10/10. I might saw off the top a little and make it purty.

I makes me think that this is all the wood doing the work. But now I'm talking straight out of the outhouse.

Edited by ModestGlutton

1 hour ago, ModestGlutton said:

Willet Pot Still Reserve. batch 17C8

I know I'm becoming a black sheep by saying this but playing around with the water and rest time, this onion really has some layers. Overall it's easy to get that toffee and burnt caramel lots of corn (I really hate corn more and more) but if I can dial in the water it blooms something nice. The one time I didn't measure by weight my pour, I got: passion fruit, green apple, wine vine/grape skin/brandy, menthol, then the toffee, vanilla, old and new wood. It remains very hard to find pin down a fixed measure as it changes very quickly with the ever increasing air exposure/oxidation creating more notes of peanuts and butter. Leading me to the bottle....looks 7/10, pouring and handling/storing 1/10. decanter 10/10. I might saw off the top a little and make it purty.

I makes me think that this is all the wood doing the work. But now I'm talking straight out of the outhouse.

After visiting Willett last week, I have a lot more respect for their produced bourbon, I am not sure if this is still 100% sourced, or a blend of their distillate and sourced whiskey.  But it was a pleasant tasting bourbon during the tour!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I forgot to mention that it doesn't do well with lots of water, just a touch. And it reminds me of scotch. To much water brings out the corn way to much.

3 minutes ago, ModestGlutton said:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I forgot to mention that it doesn't do well with lots of water, just a touch. And it reminds me of scotch. To much water brings out the corn way to much.

I think the tour guide said it was in the 5-6 year age range, so I totally get what you're saying about the corn note if adding water.  

• 5 months later...

I've loved this Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof from my first sip a couple years ago, and my most recent bottle has continued with the dark cherry note that sung from the beginning.  Head and shoulders above anything open on my bar right now.  Gorgeous whiskey that is smack dab in my wheelhouse.

16 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I've loved this Jack Daniel's Barrel Proof from my first sip a couple years ago, and my most recent bottle has continued with the dark cherry note that sung from the beginning.  Head and shoulders above anything open on my bar right now.  Gorgeous whiskey that is smack dab in my wheelhouse.

Gotta tell ya Joe, every time I see you posting wonderful things about JD I think that either Troyce or Big Rich has hacked into your account...... :unsure:

Gotta tell ya Joe, every time I see you posting wonderful things about JD I think that either Troyce or Big Rich has hacked into your account...... :unsure:

We keep trying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This just confirms our prior suspicions. There's some common DNA for sure.

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I've got one on the way right now. I blame it all on you guys - and all the love that's been showered on this one over the last several weeks. Another reason I'm glad I stop in here a dozen or so times per day. Cheers.

11 hours ago, LongGone said:

I've got one on the way right now. I blame it all on you guys - and all the love that's been showered on this one over the last several weeks. Another reason I'm glad I stop in here a dozen or so times per day. Cheers.

You're welcome! :)

Edited by flahute

Ive been convinced, Im going to buy a JD bp this week. As far as my wheelhouse, if i wasnt forcing myself to jump around I'd be drinking RHF every day right now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.