What Is In Your Wheelhouse, lately?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The Turkey has been in my wheelhouse lately. Everything from Russell's bourbon and rye down to Rare Breed and 101. All hitting the spot strongly.

I didn't really think anything until I just checked the bar and noticed this:

IMG_20161221_165932.jpg

Edited by dcbt

Colonel EH Taylor Single Barrel and Eagle Rare 10 have both been hitting the spot lately.  Having a glass of CEHT SiB right now as a matter of fact!

4 hours ago, dcbt said:

I didn't really think anything until I just checked the bar and noticed this:

IMG_20161221_165932.jpg

"Hello Darkness, my old friend..."

:)

IMAG1709_1[1].jpg

• 3 months later...

Wild Turkey 101 has just been killin' it with me of late.  I had really soured on it a number of years back, but the turnaround began about 2 years ago.  I'm totally adoring it now.  That mouthfeel and great char/oak over the palate is totally into wheelhouse right now, and I find myself reaching past many other bottles to grab this one.

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Wild Turkey 101 has just been killin' it with me of late.  I had really soured on it a number of years back, but the turnaround began about 2 years ago.  I'm totally adoring it now.  That mouthfeel and great char/oak over the palate is totally into wheelhouse right now, and I find myself reaching past many other bottles to grab this one.

Good to know it's just not me and I'm happy to hear a veteran is tasting the same thing I am. 

Turkey in general has just been killing it for me since last fall. I've got 4-5 different barrel picks of RR that are all great, Rare Breed has been unstoppable, and even the RR10yr has been outstanding to my palate. I'm loving the ryes also. I know that some feel like Turkey's best days are behind them but they seem just fine to me. 

As much as I like my wheats my wheelhouse lately has been the KC Single Barrels.  Tons of flavor and nice warm finish with very little burn for a 120 proof pour.

My latest handle of 101 is tasting fantastic. BT and ETL have also been great.

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

Good to know it's just not me and I'm happy to hear a veteran is tasting the same thing I am. 

Turkey in general has just been killing it for me since last fall. I've got 4-5 different barrel picks of RR that are all great, Rare Breed has been unstoppable, and even the RR10yr has been outstanding to my palate. I'm loving the ryes also. I know that some feel like Turkey's best days are behind them but they seem just fine to me. 

Funny you should mention this.  Even before I tasted the WTMK Decades I bought a couple of weeks ago, I had been tapping the WTRBs (Batches 2 and 3) and the RR10yr on most nights and skipping my OGD BIB.  Tonight's JB BIB is a place-holder as I finished off my last WT101 last month and promised myself I'd work down my pile of open, nonrotation bottles before doing some shopping (other than the road trip in Maryland last Saturday, of course).

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Funny you should mention this.  Even before I tasted the WTMK Decades I bought a couple of weeks ago, I had been tapping the WTRBs (Batches 2 and 3) and the RR10yr on most nights and skipping my OGD BIB.  Tonight's JB BIB is a place-holder as I finished off my last WT101 last month and promised myself I'd work down my pile of open, nonrotation bottles before doing some shopping (other than the road trip in Maryland last Saturday, of course).

Your notes about Decades prompted me to go out and buy one. I love it. Thanks for the tip.

11 hours ago, flahute said:

Your notes about Decades prompted me to go out and buy one. I love it. Thanks for the tip.

Agreed.  I've had one pour from my new Decades bottle, and even at the high tariff, it is a no regrets purchase.  It is enough off the beaten path in taste to make it intellectually interesting along with good taste [custard, spice, and just right oak influence].

Edited by Madhatter
edit: grammar

I think it is unavoidable that Decades is going to be my first purchase that breaks my self imposed $85 spend limit, reviews have been to good matched with how good it will look next to my WTMK 17yr (A very much appreciated gift).

• 3 weeks later...

I've been enjoying some really good Knob Creek single barrel store select stuff lately.  12yr 10 month 120 proof goodness!

I've been enjoying some really good Knob Creek single barrel store select stuff lately.  12yr 10 month 120 proof goodness!

I just don't think you can go wrong with most store select KCSB selections. They are always much older than the 9 years on the label and usually priced better than the standard bottling. IMHO it is one of the best bourbon values available today...one of the few things Beam Suntory is doing right these days...at least for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's no traditional, but I'm really into my bottle of Johnny Drum Private Stock. It has a musty citrus note that, to my surprise, is really hitting the spot for me lately.

Been enjoying a BT store pick, EWSB (2001), ECBP (139.4), & WLW (135.4). Kind of all over the place. All have been very good to great though!

Cheers,

Jeff

I'm in dud-killing mode.  I have a lot of bottles that are open and that I won't buy again and I'm trying to clear them out.  OF Signature was the last one I polished off and CEHT SMB before that.  Early Times 354 is currently in my sights and after that I may move on to some of the more meh ryes like JB and Rittenhouse. 

On 3/29/2017 at 6:49 PM, smokinjoe said:

What Joe said.  When I am tempted to grab the 4RYL or OE101 I consider that for less than a buck more I can have WT101.  It is even easier to pass on bourbons that cost more but just don't seem worth the extra. Which is not to say that I don't still enjoy a pour of Stagg Jr. or Booker's.  On a regular basis, as on the yard swing today, I am enjoying the WT again. (After that unfortunate hiatus it took.)  

Not really a fan of OF Sig, but this OF 1897 is super.  Even my OGD BIB and some 4R PS's (which I'm trying to finish so I can replace them with fuller bottles) have gone begging.  If the OF 1920 is anything close, I'll need to sell my car and by a van - more storage space.

It's funny how things ebb and flow. I've never been the biggest Weller fan but I opened a bottle on Friday night night that was just about perfect at that moment. Delicious in every way. These was from probably the last shipment to Georgia before the bottle/label changed to the new style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RR 10yr and EC 12

Sounds like I need to get a bottle of WT101. I'd be interested to know where to find WTMK Decades, I haven't seen it around here.

Edited by CaliER

I've been on a big Wild Turkey kick over the last year, and have gone a bit overboard on the store selections.  Right now I've got several WTKS open, and RRSib open.  But sometimes WT101 is fantastic on it's own, the combo of barrel char, big spice and vanilla.  WTMK Decades is really tasting good too (down to the last 1/3 of the bottle), the last several limited edition Wild Turkey's were ok, but not great.  I actually ended up vatting the last of my Diamond Anniversary with Rare Breed, and it turned out pretty good.

Between Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill (either McKenna BIB, or WT101) make up a large majority of what I drink on a regular basis, and can usually count on it tasting right regardless of my mood, food consumed, etc.

19 hours ago, BigRich said:

It's funny how things ebb and flow. I've never been the biggest Weller fan but I opened a bottle on Friday night night that was just about perfect at that moment. Delicious in every way. These was from probably the last shipment to Georgia before the bottle/label changed to the new style.

Which Weller, Rich?  OWA used to be one of my Big Three regular pours but I haven't seen any in a couple years. 

Which Weller, Rich?  OWA used to be one of my Big Three regular pours but I haven't seen any in a couple years. 

It's OWA. I realize I left that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.