What Is In Your Wheelhouse, lately?

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/6/2016 at 7:33 PM, Richnimrod said:

Ah, poor Mr. Tot!    I feel for ya' brother.    Keep thinking good thoughts and surfing the forums.     You'll be back in saddle before you know it.    I'll have a pour of something for you this afternoon or evening.   Any suggestions?

Things just turned on a dime last night, Rich. Looks like they'll be bouncing us off the boat into a hotel on standby for a week. Complete surprise. I'll have to see what I can rustle up for the What Are You Drinking thread tonight! And so ends an 8wk dry spell!

But you can never go wrong raising an old-faithful OWA in my direction, regardless!

For some reason I've been on a Heaven Hill kick lately.  I killed an EC12 the there night and have been enjoying an EWSB that i've been meaning to open for a while.  Both enjoyable pours 

On 4/6/2016 at 9:08 AM, kaiserhog said:

Bottled in Bond is in my wheelhouse.  I love a whiskey that has standards.  Right now, they do not cost an arm and a leg. That will change but that just means business is good.

Amen, brother!  I always enjoy a pour of BIB, but the past few months I've been coming around to the BT profile.  A colleague bought me a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Barrel a few months ago, and I'm managing to get past the characteristic "grassy" taste and enjoy the other flavors that are there.

56 minutes ago, heydobro said:

For some reason I've been on a Heaven Hill kick lately.  I killed an EC12 the there night and have been enjoying an EWSB that i've been meaning to open for a while.  Both enjoyable pours 

HDB, your first 3 words are the ones that say it all.  For some reason...  I don't know the reason either, but the phenomena sure keeps this hobby cool and fresh, regardless of how long you've been at it!

1 hour ago, TheNovaMan said:

Amen, brother!  I always enjoy a pour of BIB, but the past few months I've been coming around to the BT profile.  A colleague bought me a bottle of Buffalo Trace Single Barrel a few months ago, and I'm managing to get past the characteristic "grassy" taste and enjoy the other flavors that are there.

I was into BT about 3 and a half years ago.  It is enjoyable.

11 hours ago, gooneygoogoo said:

A couple months ago MM46 was hitting the spot. Then I went through a standard BT phase. And the past few days it has been FRSB store select. It is funny how tastes change so often. And that is why I am unable to answer people when they ask me what my favorite bourbon is...much to their dismay.

I know what you're saying gooney. And sure go through my phases too. But OWAs and 4Rs historically empty at double to others, probably since '08 (when you could start getting 4R more consistently) and show what's always in my wheelhouse.

Good thread Joe!

Ironically, Bakers is one I don't own, but the last few times I've been out I felt fortunate to see it behind a bar somewhere, and was never sorry for ordering it over Bookers or KC (my normal "go tos" when available).  

But I gotta say lately it has been the CB Flaming Hearts.  Used to be I'd have a pour from the dark side (scotch) once a month or so and I'd be good - but that one keeps drawing me in - and never fails to deliver!

I wouldn't have much of a bunker if it wasn't for the different bonds.  (They keep the Wellers and others safe most of the time.)  It's nice having something I enjoy and can replace.  I get some flavors of apple and cherry from the HH 6 year.    

Edited by PaulO

For a while now, it has been Old Forester Sig. Stuff is just delicious to me. I can't explain it. I was bouncing around between different pours, but I've kind of been stuck on this stuff for over a year. If I run out, my alcohol consumption goes way down even though I have other bottles to pick from.

Since it isn't available anywhere except a liquor store, I've been ordering standard Knob Creek  if I'm out (which isn't too often). Even in nicer bars/restaurants with a good sized spirit list, KB always feels like the right decision, and it never disappoints. 

Edited by Xevious

I'm figuring out my palate preferences, and it's hard for me to say I "hate" a whiskey (although there are a select few that I really didn't like, for whatever reason).  The Barrel-strength whiskies are doing it for me right now, along with some of the woodier/oak/drying kind of flavors.  So for me:

Booker's, ECBP, GTSJr, and Barrell #006.  Along with EC12 and some rhetoric 21.  Although, I will always like 4Roses, only tried their SB and SmB.  I was hoping to find a barrel-proof SB, but I noticed the recipe was the usual OBSV and was really hoping to find a different one than the standard SB.

On April 8, 2016 at 10:11 PM, T Comp said:

I know what you're saying gooney. And sure go through my phases too. But OWAs and 4Rs historically empty at double to others, probably since '08 (when you could start getting 4R more consistently) and show what's always in my wheelhouse.

I can pretty much hang out in Thad's wheelhouse. 

Enjoying some Bowman Bros SB right now that is pretty good. Just tried it because it is made in Va but will buy again. 4RSB also hitting the spot.

Buffalo Trace, Weller Antique, Elijah Craig, Rock Hill Farms, Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee, E.H. Taylor Small Batch.

In other words... what's always in my wheelhouse. 

Had a great friend diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He's taking chemo now, and we've been bourbon buddies for many years.

I expect him to beat it, but I've been sharing all of my best stuff since we heard. Mama says "Our tomorrows are borrowed."

In general, I'm being drawn to high/barrel proofs.  Stagg Jr. batch 4, KCSiB, Four Roses SiB and GT Stagg.  But if I had to pick one bottle, it's my RHF.  It's the one bottle I really look forward to pouring.

I've been in a rut the past few days. It goes like this: EC12, followed by WT101, followed by 4RSB or a 4R PS pick. I have a lot of choices but keep going back to these three basically because they are working for me right now. There's no reason to switch it up. I'm recognizing this as a wheelhouse moment.

OFSIG, EEWBIB, JBBIB, OGDBIB, WT101, RITTBIB, WT101R and since I finished them all off I've been on and EC ride.

ECBP, 18, 21 & 23.  What can I say, I like oak.

I'm telling you Joe, a brand new product has been dangerously drinkable lately. And it was one that was greeted here with great snarkyism and trepidation, not by you, but you know what I'm saying. Maker's Mark Private Selection. 

I am not a MM junky, but I do think they make a fine product. Just wish it were cheaper. This distillery has brought to us a host of line extensions over the last few years, and I think they have done a good, if not great job. I am a big fan of MM46, and the MMPS, is an upgrade of that iteration. With the various staves available, you can customize the taste of your single barrel. I think it is a brilliant concept. 

I have had the opportunity to drink the TPS and Gallenstein selections. Both totally outstanding bottles. If you want to taste a fab wheater with like no other, try this single barrel offering. It runs 70 bucks, and is worth every penny...YMMV 

Just recently gravitated back to Four Roses Yellow Label when I wanted something that went down easy.  Good stuff.  Simplicity can be great.

On April 13, 2016 at 10:38 PM, DeluxeReverb said:

Buffalo Trace, Weller Antique, Elijah Craig, Rock Hill Farms, Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee, E.H. Taylor Small Batch.

In other words... what's always in my wheelhouse. 

Had a great friend diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He's taking chemo now, and we've been bourbon buddies for many years.

I expect him to beat it, but I've been sharing all of my best stuff since we heard. Mama says "Our tomorrows are borrowed."

Nice of you to share with your friend.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 8:16 PM, smokinjoe said:

Earlier this evening, I had a Ga-Ga moment over a pour of Baker's.  Which, led me to thinking that I've had a LOT of Ga-Ga moments with Baker's over the last couple of months.  Beam whiskies in general, and BAKER's specifically, have just been in my Wheelhouse.  Right now, they just hit everything I'm looking for in a bourbon.  Of course, it was something else before, and it will be something different down the road.  But, right now...Baker's is rockin' my world. 

So, I ask this board...What bottle has you recently coming back to it?  What do you keep finding yourself pouring?  What is in YOUR WHEELHOUSE, of late? 

I'm with you--at the moment. But my tastes are fickle. Sometimes I can't get enough of the BTs, then it's the WTs. Lately, it's been the Beamers--JB SB, KC & KC SB, Baker's and Booker's. I could throw in OGD BIB & OGD 114 but, though made by Beam, I don't think of them as real Beamers.

• 2 weeks later...

Not bourbon, but Pikesville is really doing it for me right now. For bourbon, it has been WT.

You know what's been in my wheelhouse lately?  Whiskey!  I've pretty much stopped drinking during the week, so when Friday hits I don't necessarily confine myself to one thing.  There's too much I want to try and my bunker is big enough I can pretty much sample whatever tickles my fancy - might be a barrel proofer, or a LE of some sort, or a bottom shelter like JTS Brown.  Rye, Scotch, Irish.   Standard offerings like BT or something more exotic, like a finished barrel.  Not all in one night, of course, but I've veered far off my "I gotta finish some bottles before I open any more" mantra.  I bet I have around 100 open bottles right now.  Anything goes.

SAOS Single Barrels are hitting all the right notes for me lately, as well as 4R OESV.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.