What beer are you drinking? (Fall 2016)

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Very Nice, Surprised Me.

Zumbi | White Pony Microbrewery

Cheers!
Allan Holdsworth I.O.U. (Black Cover) 1982 I.O.U. EX
IMG_0178_zpscbxjjjov.jpg

Schlafly Imperial Oktoberfest while cooking. Haven't seen Avery's Kaiser yet this year but this is giving it a run.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I picked up a Leinenkugel's Autumn Explorer Pack this morning for tailgating.  I've always admired the balanced flavors of their seasonal offerings and have really been enjoying this years Oktoberfest, so I figured this would good way to experience several without going 'all in' on one.  In addition to the Oktoberfest, the sampler contained 3 each of the Harvest Patch Shandy, IPL, and Maple Dunkel.

After drinking one of each, I'm gonna give these guys a positive shout out.  Not being a big IPA or flavored drink guy, this was a pleasant and easy drinking experience, with subtle flavor enhancements, as opposed to some beers that just rub me the wrong way by trying to do too much (and go get all overwhelming and unbalanced<_<).        

Cerveza Sin Frontera from Trois Dames, in collaboration with Jester King and Crooked Stave breweries. This is some type of funky, sour, farmhousey ale aged in Spanish sherry casks. Definitely get some of the sherry influence, and it has some good fruity notes along with the tartness. Decent stuff, but honestly, the best part of this beer was watching the Blue Angels fly directly over my roof as I drank it. Woohoo Fleet Week 2016!

It's gonna take a lot to put the flames out on this miserable week, but this Deschutes Black Butte Porter will at least get the pump primed.

image.jpg

I attended Bell's 4th annual Roll Out the Barrel party last Sunday.  Even better, I was able to score reservations for their Barrel Aging tour that day.  This was the first time they ever offered a tour with a focus on barrel aging.

A lot of the beers they had on tap that day were aged in Traverse City (TC) Whiskey barrels.  When my wife and I arrived, we shared a TC Whiskey 355 East Street Stout with Vanilla Beans and a TC Whiskey Third Coast Old Ale with Cherries.  Both were excellent.  We finished those around the same time we started our tour.  It wasn't so much of a tour as it was a presentation.  They showed a cool five minute video on barrel aging.  They have since posted the video to their Bell's Brewery facebook page if you're interested to check it out.  The presenters showed off three big foeders used to age their sour beers that they procured from Sonoma County.  They also are aging beers in just about every kind of barrel you can think of.  Best of all, they shared samples of Raspberry Wild One (I don't care for sours, so meh) and TC Whiskey Expedition Stout.  Now that was an excellent beer.  Best of all, my wife didn't want her sample so she gave it to me.

Had a Logboat Jupiter Moon this afternoon. Nice malty double red ale.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I didn't see a cider thread so I'll throw my cider notes in here for now. I'm drinking Clos Normand, a French cider I found at a local shop. This is labeled brut and it is pretty dry, with just a tiny bit of sweetness. It's not a particularly interesting cider but it does have a bit of that barnyard funk that many of the traditional Norman ciders have, and which I really enjoy. This is pretty decent stuff - it was nice with the pork loin we cooked for dinner and I'll probably pick it up again if I want something to drink with a nice piece of pork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working in VA and have discovered The Veil Brewing out of Richmond.  Man alive!  Fantastic IPA's that would rival any NE IPA.  Currently drinking a Master Master Shredder Shredder, a double hopped IPA.

I'm enjoying a 2015 Avery Pumpkyn. Figured it was time for my first pumpkin beer of the fall, although at 15%abv this may have been overkill for a Tuesday.

Had a Stone Ruination 2.0 earlier today.

IMG_0219_zpsvei7jofn.jpg

Edited by MTNBourbon

From one of the locals, Madtree. Rubus Cacao, a raspberry chocolate stout, amazing rich and delicious. 

Started the night with Perennial Artisan Ales mint chocolate stout. It showed promise, pouring very dark and thick with an initial taste was of grasshopper Girl Scout cookies. Unfortunately the mint turned toothpaste-y and medicinal quickly. This tastes to me like a boilermaker with Fernet and a chocolate imperial stout.

After that we moved onto the Avery Old Perseverance bourbon barrel aged old ale with maple syrup and muscovado sugar. This was a tad sweet but otherwise good and in the high-intensity Avery style.

8 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Started the night with Perennial Artisan Ales mint chocolate stout. It showed promise, pouring very dark and thick with an initial taste was of grasshopper Girl Scout cookies. Unfortunately the mint turned toothpaste-y and medicinal quickly. This tastes to me like a boilermaker with Fernet and a chocolate imperial stout.

After that we moved onto the Avery Old Perseverance bourbon barrel aged old ale with maple syrup and muscovado sugar. This was a tad sweet but otherwise good and in the high-intensity Avery style.

Avery Old Perseverance, very tasty brew.

Cheers!

Brought home a growler of Harvest Ale from Upland last night. Hit last night a couple times and will continue that until it's gone today.

Avery Old Perseverance, very tasty brew.

Cheers!

It was indeed! Luckily I have a couple more bottles, but I may let them age a bit and see how they turn out. Seems like it will age well.

Tonight I started with a Firestone Agrestic, which I remember being bland but it was very tasty this time around. Now I'm drinking a Green Flash Flanders Drive "sour red ale aged in bourbon barrels". This is very tart, fruity, and vinegary - a very enjoyable Flanders red ale.

11 hours ago, Kpiz said:

It was indeed! Luckily I have a couple more bottles, but I may let them age a bit and see how they turn out. Seems like it will age well.

Tonight I started with a Firestone Agrestic, which I remember being bland but it was very tasty this time around. Now I'm drinking a Green Flash Flanders Drive "sour red ale aged in bourbon barrels". This is very tart, fruity, and vinegary - a very enjoyable Flanders red ale.

OP is definitely a good candidate for aging. I've had the Agrestic #002, very nice brew. GF makes some pretty awesome brews as well.

Cheers!

I tried some Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest at a party (bottles).  I was really wowed.  If you like malty beers full of flavor...

4 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Jolly Russian | Odell Brewing Company

IMG_0261_zpsnpiynpwg.jpg

Cheers!

That looks like an incredible brew.

I'm enjoying a 2013 Goose Island Gillian. I really like the use of white pepper in this

image.jpeg

I had a Deschutes Sagefight Imperial IPA tonight. It starts and ends like a good IPA but has a good dose of fresh sage in the middle. I don't think I'd want more than one of these per session, but it's pretty good and pretty interesting.

I'm drinking a bottle of The Bruery Bois, their 2013 anniversary ale. This is pretty viscous and is a murky caramel color. It starts off in a vague sweet note, but then I get a lot of berry flavor. Tartness follows and builds throughout the sip and it ends on a somewhat tart note. I remember this being sweeter, more caramelly, and boozier, but I guess that was a few years ago (when it came out), so this may have changed in the bottle.  The tartness was particularly unexpected - perhaps it became a little infected. I actually enjoy what this has transformed into, though, so infected or not, it's ok by me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.