What beer are you drinking? (Fall 2016)

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mine is Squire123 because when I joined the database already had a squire so I added some numbers.  Same avatar from a photo taken 15 years ago though I swear I haven't aged a day.

20 minutes ago, squire said:

Mine is Squire123 because when I joined the database already had a squire so I added some numbers.  Same avatar from a photo taken 15 years ago though I swear I haven't aged a day.

Very Cool! See ya there.

Cheers!

Back on the Cascade with a Bourbonic Plague sour bourbon-barrel-aged imperial porter. This one is more tart than sour, but has some bourbon-y notes without being boozy at all (despite 12% abv). Really interesting flavors, great beer.

7 hours ago, Kpiz said:

Back on the Cascade with a Bourbonic Plague sour bourbon-barrel-aged imperial porter. This one is more tart than sour, but has some bourbon-y notes without being boozy at all (despite 12% abv). Really interesting flavors, great beer.

Interesting brew.

Cheers!

One of the better Oktoberfests out there . . .

Image result for sierra nevada oktoberfest

Score 4.08
appearance: 3.75 | aroma: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance is light golden and far from the amber tones usually associated with Oktoberfest type beers. If that's ground breaking so be it. Very good white cap and lacing.

Aroma is malt cake wrapped in spicy hop icing.

Flavor is a complex mixture of malt/hop in about equal proportions. Not a single malt flavor (punny, I know) rather a sum of the parts malt flavor that has depth. Exciting hop spiciness I haven't tasted before. Hope Sierra uses these hops again in something, a Helles perhaps, or whatever they want to call it I'll buy it. Dimensions of flavor develop more fully mid palate and actually open up at the finish which leaves a lingering aftertaste ending with a clean hop cutoff.

Texture is pleasantly medium that feels fuller due to the richness of the beer.

Overall it's a winner and proof the grain bill doesn't have to include darker malt (for color) to produce a richly flavored true to style beer. Well, not exactly to style, as the guidelines do mention darker color and a slightly lighter hop touch, but you know what I mean. Brewer says it's a one off and maybe that's a good thing because it gives me something to look forward to next year.

^^^ Sierra Nevadas Oktoberfest changes every year.  This year was good, but, the 2015 was much better IMO. 

1 hour ago, squire said:

Score 4.08

Appearance is light golden and far from the amber tones usually associated with Oktoberfest type beers. If that's ground breaking so be it. Very good white cap and lacing.

Flavor is a complex mixture of malt/hop in about equal proportions. Not a single malt flavor (punny, I know) rather a sum of the parts malt flavor that has depth. Exciting hop spiciness I haven't tasted before. Hope Sierra uses these hops again in something, a Helles perhaps, or whatever they want to call it I'll buy it. Dimensions of flavor develop more fully mid palate and actually open up at the finish which leaves a lingering aftertaste ending with a clean hop cutoff.

Overall it's a winner and proof the grain bill doesn't have to include darker malt (for color) to produce a richly flavored true to style beer. Well, not exactly to style, as the guidelines do mention darker color and a slightly lighter hop touch, but you know what I mean. Brewer says it's a one off and maybe that's a good thing because it gives me something to look forward to next year.

You are cracking me up Squire! Sporting a big bushy beard and trucker hat now too. 

12 hours ago, squire said:

Score 4.08

Good choice, very tasty brew.

Cheers!

Trying to stay with Texas beers as much as possible. St. Arnold's (Houston) White Noise, and Real Ale (Blanco) Devil's Backbone currently..

12 hours ago, T Comp said:

You are cracking me up Squire! Sporting a big bushy beard and trucker hat now too. 

Got a pickup truck?

4 hours ago, weller_tex said:

Trying to stay with Texas beers as much as possible. St. Arnold's (Houston) White Noise, and Real Ale (Blanco) Devil's Backbone currently..

Thank god texas does beer better than it does bourbon...

Enjoyed this series early on:

Saint Arnold Divine Reserve | Saint Arnold Brewing Company

Cheers!

Okey Dokey, I am  officially done with shopping and ain't leaving the house until Monday.  Settling in with a 2015 Backwoods Bastard.  Aaahhhhhh!  Next up, my comfy Flannel PJs and bunny slippers ...heck, I may even throw in a forever lazy and a teddy bear...:lol:

image.jpg

Edited by smokinjoe

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Okey Dokey, I am  officially done with shopping and ain't leaving the house until Monday.  Settling in with a 2015 Backwoods Bastard.  Aaahhhhhh!  Next up, my comfy Flannel PJs and bunny slippers ...heck, I may even throw in a forever lazy and a teddy bear...:lol:

image.jpg

Flannel BJ's in Georgia?  I thought those were reserved for the cold north.  Year old Backwood Bastard is great.  I always cellar as much as I can.  I may join you later this evening.

2 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

Flannel BJ's in Georgia?  I thought those were reserved for the cold north.  Year old Backwood Bastard is great.  I always cellar as much as I can.  I may join you later this evening.

Heehee.  It is 68 degrees out now, but flannel just seems right...

The BB was stellar.  Enjoy yours!

I always request my BJs in flannel...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

image.jpg

Very tasty brew!

Cheers!

Had a Hardywood Gingerbread Stout earlier with family. It's quite good. I prefer the barrel aged version but this one was from 2014 and held up really well. A nice Christmas Eve treat.

Working on a Sam Adams winter pack this weekend. Winter Lager is always solid and the Chocolate Bock is good. The Ginger Ale is a pass. Highlight as always is Old Fezziwig ale. Just a great beer for the holidays - good flavor, decent complexity and with really nice balance without crazy ABV. Gotta save my big Imperial Stouts and BP bourbons for after we're done with guests. Host needs to be sober-ish, especially with the in-laws in.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Ravensfire said:

Working on a Sam Adams winter pack this weekend. Winter Lager is always solid and the Chocolate Bock is good. The Ginger Ale is a pass. Highlight as always is Old Fezziwig ale. Just a great beer for the holidays - good flavor, decent complexity and with really nice balance without crazy ABV. Gotta save my big Imperial Stouts and BP bourbons for after we're done with guests. Host needs to be sober-ish, especially with the in-laws in.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Had a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and a Port City Tidings. Enjoyed both of them.   

Edit - not sure why I quoted rather than replying to the thread. 

Edited by JoeTerp

Last night I had a Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel aged Scotty Karate.  It's now aged about 6 months and wonderful.  The bourbon flavor is first sense you get as you are about to have your first taste.

2 hours ago, Special Reserve said:

Last night I had a Dark Horse Bourbon Barrel aged Scotty Karate.  It's now aged about 6 months and wonderful.  The bourbon flavor is first sense you get as you are about to have your first taste.

That's a nice one.

Cheers!

Managed to have time to dig one bottle out of the dusty "archives" for Christmas. Not sure how long I have had it but it has been a while.

A Hof ten Dormaal Barrel aged project that is a dark Belgian style at 12% that had been finished for some period of months in a Madeira cask.

Hot ten Dormaal Madeira.JPG

Seems to have held up pretty well. Rich but not too syrupy. Couldn't tell you that it was in a specific type of barrel just by drinking it but then I rarely can.

18 hours ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

bc03192795f13f9b0d57fbeb8d057f96.jpg
A little KBS this dreary afternoon.

Awesome Brew!

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.