What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Which Murray McDavid are u looking for?

I was telling the poster upthread to look for MMcD Ledaig Sherry cask bottlings as well as the Signatory ones he mentioned. I've had some terrific ones. I'm not looking for anything in particular. But thanks for asking. 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 7:03 AM, Old Dusty said:

You need to find a sherried Ledaig. Will likely need to be an Independent. Sherry players really well with that spirit especially younger 

This spring I found a Signatory Bunnahabhain 2001 cask selected by Stoller Wines & Spirits (cask 1771, 112 proof) aged in a first fill sherry butt that was very good. Maybe not quite as peated as some, but sherry plays well with Islay whiskies

Edited by Vosgar

Enjoyed some short pours earlier of Eleuthera and Clynelish 2012 Distiller's Edition (for science, which barely counts).  Both quite solid, although I think something about fall leaves and drunken oatmeal raisin/craisin cookies gets me itching for bourbon.

On 07/10/2016 at 1:03 PM, Old Dusty said:

You need to find a sherried Ledaig. Will likely need to be an Independent. Sherry players really well with that spirit especially younger 

As it happens The Whisky Exchange have a sherry butt aged Ledaig exclusive that I picked up this week.

Currently sipping on a Balvenie Single Barrel 12 which I'm enjoying very much!

Cheers all.

On 10/9/2016 at 5:05 PM, beasled said:

As it happens The Whisky Exchange have a sherry butt aged Ledaig exclusive that I picked up this week.

Currently sipping on a Balvenie Single Barrel 12 which I'm enjoying very much!

Cheers all.

I must have gotten a bad barrel on the Balvenie Single barrel I had. I didn't like it at all. Even gave the bottle plenty of time to improve 

13 hours ago, BigPapa said:

I must have gotten a bad barrel on the Balvenie Single barrel I had. I didn't like it at all. Even gave the bottle plenty of time to improve 

That's a shame. If I'm being honest it was a fine summery dram that hit the spot at the time but it wasn't particularly memorable.

Last evening, I was pouring Longrow Red 11 Port.  Such a nice whiskey.  Springbank funk, plus Longrow peat, plus port maturing for 11 years, equals a fascinating dram IMHO.  Great stuff, and glad I have a couple of backups.

And on that topic of Balvenie SB, I must say that I am not terribly impressed either.  I was expecting more, and it will not be a repeat purchase for me.

I have not had the Balvenie 12 year SB but the 15 year SB is one of my favorites.  These are quite different whiskies however.  The 12 is bourbon barrel matured and the 15 is Sherry.

20 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

I have not had the Balvenie 12 year SB but the 15 year SB is one of my favorites.  These are quite different whiskies however.  The 12 is bourbon barrel matured and the 15 is Sherry.

Used to be a 15yo single barrel from ex-bourbon (without sherry) but I think the single barrel sherry cask version replaced it. A bi of a shame as that was a pretty decent whisky. I think I probably still have a bottle. Somewhere...

31 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Used to be a 15yo single barrel from ex-bourbon (without sherry) but I think the single barrel sherry cask version replaced it. A bi of a shame as that was a pretty decent whisky. I think I probably still have a bottle. Somewhere...

Yes, the sherry replaced the ex-bourbon recently for the 15 year SB.

59 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

Yes, the sherry replaced the ex-bourbon recently for the 15 year SB.

I wasn't real impressed with the 15 sherry, but I enjoyed the ex bourbon 15.  Price was a lot better on them as well.  Got my last two on clearance for about $60.

For some reason, I'm really enjoying this 12-year single-malt from Trader Joe's tonight.  It's hitting the spot.  Neat, of course.

I intended to have some bourbon but as I opened the cabinet to put away a new EC12 bottle, I had to move a bottle of Ardbeg Ten and decided on a dram of that instead.

Enjoying a nice pour of Kilchoman 100% Islay. Must say it was definitely a highlight of my trip there last summer and they make a fantastic young vibrant smoky scotch. Can't wait to see what a few more years will do for them.

Started with a pour from a Glendronach 21 mini I picked up in the motherland.  Damn tasty stuff!  

Started with a pour from a Glendronach 21 mini I picked up in the motherland.  Damn tasty stuff!  

Those minis sure do travel well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/19/2016 at 5:27 PM, GaryT said:

Sad day for me when my 750ml bottle disappears. About three drama left 

Celebrating a friend's birthday last night. Started with some Peat Monster CS, then Bowmore Darkest, Green Spot CLB, and finished with a health pour of The Circus. Cigars with all. Very nice evening.

Had nice pour of Flaming Heart 2015 edition last night. Really enjoyed this version. Glad I have one stashed back for a rainy day.

A wee dram of Laphroaig 18 after dinner last night. A birthday gift from my wife on the occasion of my 65th.

On 25/10/2016 at 1:37 PM, Big Rick said:

A wee dram of Laphroaig 18 after dinner last night. A birthday gift from my wife on the occasion of my 65th.

Happy 65th for yesterday!

I cracked open a Three Ships since I've had it for a while and a friend from SA wanted to know what I think of it...

And it's a nice little pour. It's got that honeyed, waxy profile like Clynelish but with a delicately peated finish to it. Very agreeable. A bit more proof (this is 86) and it'll be a stonker.

Cheers all!

Screenshot_20161026-213434.png

eb4b789e91e207716a704ce337054051.jpg

Enjoying some of this Laphroiag 16 while watching the Cubs kick some ass this fine evening.

10 hours ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

eb4b789e91e207716a704ce337054051.jpg

Enjoying some of this Laphroiag 16 while watching the Cubs kick some ass this fine evening.

Would be awesome if a bit of that made its way North in a couple of weeks..........:).   Such a great pour. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.