What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The smell of the fire made me want to switch it up to some Ardbeg Galileo

c358d6a5983ff7e76e418ff7eb4b49df.jpg

Nice. I was going to crack open a Galileo or Ardbog last evening, and ended up going with the Ardbog. Excellent stuff.

I am having a pour of Royal Lochnagar 10yo that was bottled under K&L's Faultline label a few years ago. This bottle is always a bit peatier and brasher than I expect, and does well with a bit of water. Excellent though straightforward young whiskey. 

Had a pour of Glenmorangie 18 at a friend's house over the weekend.  A little too sweet for my liking.  A lot of ex-bourbon influence with a hint of refill sherry influence.

Had the Macallan Edition No. 2 last night - not too impressed with this one.  Nose is typical Mac sherry bomb, reminds me of the CS.  Taste is decent and in line with a higher proof Mac, again reminds of CS, but the finish is really, really bitter and is a big turn off for me. Edition No. 1 was way better.  Oh well, it was a gift.

Think I'll open a dusty Knockando 1972 11 yr old.

Of course the cork broke on the '72 Knockando, it's only been sitting around for 33 years. It wasn't seated properly in the bottle when I took the foil off, but surprisingly very little evaporation.  Quickly decanted into an Old Potrero bottle with synthetic cork.  No harm no foul.  It's not very good, but I wasn't expecting it to be - at least the Cubs are winning.  I got this one in a lot of 4-5 bottles from an estate sale guy for $100, but I really just wanted the 1980's Talisker 12

Another night by the fire with some Ardbeg Galileo, a Griffin robusto and a lovely Georgia fall evening. Cheers fellas.

667cadb84ac1e5d287369c92e0daa61d.jpg

A few weeks ago my wife and I went out for dinner with my brother-in-law and sister and I ordered a Laphroaig 10. My BIL, who's been a JD drinker for decades, tried some of my pour and then ordered one for himself. He'd mentioned a few times since how much he liked it so last night when he was over I gave him some Lag 16 and he was in heaven. I do believe we have a convert.

Who'd a thunk it, going from bananas to peat, iodine and bandaids! :D

19 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Who'd a thunk it, going from bananas to peat, iodine and bandaids! :D

Haha.  Yeah, quite a change of pace.

Finally opened my Aboulour A'Bunadh batch 45. Holy smokes this is delicious. Hardly any burn considering the proof, layers of smell and taste, changes as the glass progresses.

I picked this up in Texas 3 years ago for $69. Hard to believe it's $109 in Michigan now.

1 hour ago, n811 said:

Finally opened my Aboulour A'Bunadh batch 45. Holy smokes this is delicious. Hardly any burn considering the proof, layers of smell and taste, changes as the glass progresses.

I picked this up in Texas 3 years ago for $69. Hard to believe it's $109 in Michigan now.

The A'bunadh is a big beast of flavor!  One of my favorites.  It is $65 at TW&M and $100 at BevMo one mile away...  It was briefly $59 this summer and I picked up a few extra.  ;)

The pricing from state to state still gives me a headache.  California often has better prices than AZ, its just weird!

Thanks for the reminder, I will have a nice pour during the game.

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

The whole Aboulour line has gone up in price recently in my area.

Yep, here as well.  A'bunadh was always about $79.99 standard around here, but now it seems that recent shipments are $120.  Must have been a big increase somewhere in the chain.  I think I'll pick up a couple more bottles at the remaining $79.99 price.

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

I think I'll pick up a couple more bottles at the remaining $79.99 price.

Good move if you're a fan.  I actually prefer Glenfarclas 105 which luckily is still under $80, at least for the time being.

1 hour ago, meadeweber said:

Good move if you're a fan.  I actually prefer Glenfarclas 105 which luckily is still under $80, at least for the time being.

Many of the Glenfarclas 105 bottles in Maryland still have the age statement on the back, as well.  Or at least they did the last time I checked.  

I have to say, I enjoy vatting them 50/50.

I did in fact pick up two more Batch 52 A'Bunadh tonight at $79.99 each. It's a great batch, at a decent price, so can't go wrong regardless of any price increase.

And agreed on the Glenfarclas 105. I have a few of the 10 year 105 in the bunker, and that's another one that who knows how long that will be available with an age statement and at that price. Love the 105 as well.

1 hour ago, whiskeyagonzo said:

Enjoyed a Springbank 17 fresh Sherry and Laph 25 from 2009 last evening.

Love that Springbank Sherry.......my sample went dry BTW. Just saying. :)

On 11/8/2016 at 10:54 AM, meadeweber said:

The Glenfarclas 105 is another tasty beast, but it's just over $100 in Phoenix.  At that price I will leave at the store and take home another Glendronach 15!  ;)

Love that Springbank Sherry.......my sample went dry BTW. Just saying. [emoji4]

I can maybe get you another taste in a couple of weeks [emoji2]

I'm enjoying the last couple ounces from a bottle of Dailuaine 16yo bottled by Signatory for K&L. I wasn't crazy about this bottle when I opened it a couple years ago, but as often happens, it grew on me tremendously. This has candied lemon peel galore with just a kiss of smoke. Good stuff - I'll miss this bottle.

Broke my alcohol fast with an Exclusive Malts Bowmore 12 CS, followed up with a Compass Box Spice Tree (regular).  My near month off from drinking has really taught me to appreciate having 1-2 drinks and then calling it a night.  

This Bowmore is really nice.  I highly recommend this to any sherry/peat lovers who are interested in trying a slightly more savory than sweet dram.

Not going to lie, Spice Tree mostly tastes like spice infused Clynelish at this point in the bottle (about 2/3 remaining).  Maybe a smattering of other distilleries' character every now and then.  It's a very good whisky, but it highlights an issue I have with Compass Box: A lot of their unpeated/less peated whiskies taste like Clynelish with some top spin to me.  Nothing wrong with the quality, but I feel as though they are kind of a one trick pony in that aspect.  That, coupled with price increases of late are rapidly moving them into automatic "try before buy" territory.

It's nippy down here is GA tonight but ribeyes were on sale and I needed some red meat so out by the grill I go. Ardbeg Auriverdes and an Alec Bradley Prensado robusto helping to keep me warm.

Started with some Spice Tree extravaganza, before "finishing" a bottle of GlenDronach Parliament (ok - it was the last half of a mini, but still very satisfying!)

IMG_20161119_173130.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.