What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Fall/Winter 2016-2017

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have a couple of go-to favorite Irish, but this one is pushing hard for top-o-the-heap.  Writer's Tears Red Head is gorgeously delicious and dangerously drinkable.  Thick liquid candy. 

image.jpg

I'm having a glass of Kilkerran 12.  This has really opened up well, taking on characteristics similar to the WIP7 bourbon, along with an interesting melon character in the nose.  Happy to see it coming along.

On 1/14/2017 at 9:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

I have a couple of go-to favorite Irish, but this one is pushing hard for top-o-the-heap.  Writer's Tears Red Head is gorgeously delicious and dangerously drinkable.  Thick liquid candy. 

image.jpg

Seems to be only 1 store in the UK that sells this, gonna have to seek it out. Sounds good. And great pic!

Had some JW Red left after making some new aged egg nog with it, so decided to finish it off neat.  Probably been years since I've tried this neat, and while it wouldn't be mistaken for many of the other bottles I enjoy - I was pleasantly surprised at how much I did enjoy it.

On 1/14/2017 at 4:12 PM, smokinjoe said:

image.jpg

Haven't seen that in this area but it sounds delicious. Will keep an eye out for it.

11 minutes ago, emr454 said:

Haven't seen that in this area but it sounds delicious. Will keep an eye out for it.

It is wonderful.  I don't think it has made it yet over here, but I understand that there are others in the Writer's Tears line that are.  So, perhaps it is on the way.  We ordered this from England.  

24 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It is wonderful.  I don't think it has made it yet over here, but I understand that there are others in the Writer's Tears line that are.  So, perhaps it is on the way.  We ordered this from England.  

I'll keep my eye out and hope it makes it's way to the US. Those shipping costs, ouch!

I'll keep my eye out and hope it makes it's way to the US. Those shipping costs, ouch!

The dollar is so strong versus the pound right now that it almost makes up for the shipping costs. At least that's what I told myself when I ordered a bunch of stuff from MoM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I've had this bottle for a couple of years now, only a couple of pours left, don't know why I've been ignoring it. It's a cracker.

I applaud your efforts.

Another one down! This turned out to be an excellent bottle. I have one bunkered for my future self in case he's craving a young sherry bomb.
ebd37031685ad7ae64f7317d55823438.jpg

On 18/01/2017 at 4:37 AM, Kpiz said:

I applaud your efforts.

Another one down! This turned out to be an excellent bottle. I have one bunkered for my future self in case he's craving a young sherry bomb.
ebd37031685ad7ae64f7317d55823438.jpg

Thanks!

Pouring a cask strength Caol Ila 2004/2016 bottled by Gordon & MacPhail. Wonderful stuff. Refill sherry butt. 

Last night I had a couple glasses of my open bottle of First Editions Linkwood 24.  As the bottle has opened up, it has developed a mineral stoniness I normally associate with Springbank and Kilkerran.  It even tastes a tiny bit peated, which is odd.  I double checked Charles McClean's Whiskypedia, and he states that Linkwood has been entirely unpeated since they shut down their floor maltings in the 60s, so that's a bit of a head scratcher.  Could be that note I'm tasting is one I've mistakenly associated with peat all these years.

At any rate, this bottle does not really inspire me to buy anything else from First Editions.  It is really great drinking whisky, but I believe I paid upwards of $160 at the class six for this.  I can get comparable quality for about a third the price elsewhere.  Not getting the depth of flavor and nuance I would expect from a bottle costing that much.

I'm having my second pour from a Hepburn's Choice Dailuaine 9yo selected by K&L. This smells fruity, nutty, and malty. The palate follows the nose, and the moderate peat is in nice balance with the other flavors. Easily drinkable at cask strength of 118 proof. This is a really nice everyday whisky. K&L just got a 14yo Dailuaine that they're touting as a better version of this... I may have to go for it.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 0:31 AM, Kpiz said:

I'm having my second pour from a Hepburn's Choice Dailuaine 9yo selected by K&L. This smells fruity, nutty, and malty. The palate follows the nose, and the moderate peat is in nice balance with the other flavors. Easily drinkable at cask strength of 118 proof. This is a really nice everyday whisky. K&L just got a 14yo Dailuaine that they're touting as a better version of this... I may have to go for it.

Yeah, I saw that 14yo and it caught my curiosity as I don't have any Dailuaine currently. But somebody convince me to go with some rather unusual French Marc's instead! B)

39 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yeah, I saw that 14yo and it caught my curiosity as I don't have any Dailuaine currently. But somebody convince me to go with some rather unusual French Marc's instead! B)

Dailuaine is kind of mainstream for you Bruce, don't ya think? :D

Indeed it is! Just another of Diageo's workhorse Speyside malts that mostly ends up as part of various Johnnie Walker blends. So most of us have had some at one or another.

Of course that means that a relatively small amount of it dribbles out for bottling as a single malt. Hmm...

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Indeed it is! Just another of Diageo's workhorse Speyside malts that mostly ends up as part of various Johnnie Walker blends. So most of us have had some at one or another.

Of course that means that a relatively small amount of it dribbles out for bottling as a single malt. Hmm...

True, independent casks of Dailuaine don't seem to be very common. This is the second one from K&L I've had, the first being a Signatory from a bourbon cask which I think I wrote brief notes in this thread for. It was much different than this sherry-aged 9yo I have open now, but both are/were solid malts. Which of course makes that 14yo even more appealing...

Glenmorangie for the first time.  Wow, what a nose of fruit on this one.  Unlike any other single malts I've tried. 

Bruichladdich 10 yr is first up.  One of the profiles I enjoy in some malts is that air dried linen nose.  This one has it, and it's so nice.

image.jpg

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Bruichladdich 10 yr is first up.  One of the profiles I enjoy in some malts is that air dried linen nose.  This one has it, and it's so nice.

I would love to find the Laddie 10 again.  It's a tasty dram.

8 hours ago, Darwin said:

I would love to find the Laddie 10 again.  It's a tasty dram.

Bruichladdich has been nothing but a disappointment to me since they discontinued the Laddie 10.  I am excited to give them another chance if/when the new 50% Laddie 10 and PC10 show up in Maryland.

I don't care if they use magic unicorn wood treated micro provenance barley from the moons of Jupiter on their LE releases.  Just give me a solid, traditionally matured and age stated core range and I'll be happy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.