What bottle did you open today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, since I finished the only barrel proofer I had open, (07 WLW) I figured I should open something high proof. Stagg Jr Batch #3 fits the bill nicely. :)

Cheers! Joe 

I just opened a Russell Reserve Single Barrel Store Pick I bought a few weeks ago on my work travels. Fantastic pour, it really exceeded my expectations; I wish I grabbed a second bottle. I'm beginning to realize the Store Pick Barrels put the bourbons on another level. My every day sippers are slowly becoming store picks instead of their boring originals. Haha

On 10/13/2016 at 4:07 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Well, since I finished the only barrel proofer I had open, (07 WLW) I figured I should open something high proof. Stagg Jr Batch #3 fits the bill nicely. :)

Cheers! Joe 

Decided Joe had a good idea and opened up a bottle of Stagg Jr. Batch 3.  See if I like it as much as I liked Batch 1, which was not exactly beloved by the bourbon drinking community.

I have plenty of open bottles, but have polished off a couple recently, so cracked open the OF 1920 I bought today.  Very enjoyable.  Great nose, tastes "dark", if that makes any sense.  Nice finish.

Opened a Gifted Horse just now out of curiosity.  Was looking for something new to open and having had a conversation about this earlier today with another SBer I decided to go with this one.  I didn't really know what to expect, but it wasn't much, so color me pleasantly surprised.  The older bourbon has more of an influence than the younger corn whiskey, which is a good thing in my book.  The mix works well actually.

Opened a Four Roses Black Label Japanese release and an A Smith Bowman Wheat Bourbon release in the last couple of days

Moved a couple of bottles from the bunker to open list in the cabinet the past few days. A Barrel Bourbon No.5 and Blantons Gold are now being consumed. The Blantons Gold is really good and was made possible by a fellow SBer. Both bottles are good, but the Gold is just a cut above.

Just cracked open a RR Single Bbl store select I've had in the bunker for almost a year. I've been looking forward to opening this one.

IMG_1043.JPG

Edited by Kepler
Uploaded the photo

Yesterday cracked a Blanton's and a Weller 12 with the company of my brother. We enjoyed both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I opened an ER10. It's been a while and I was reminded what a fantastic whiskey this is at $35-40 commonly at retail, or at $22.50 in the neighboring county's ABC stores when it is on sale. I pick up a couple bottles every time it goes on sale or I get below 4 on hand.

Finally decided to give this one another shot. My first bottle was 2-3 yrs ago and was decidedly "off". This one is much better, but for a 10 year Single Barrel @ $30, I believe I prefer the H McKenna 10yr SiB BIB, and it's readily available here (for now). 

IMG_2420.JPG

14 minutes ago, GreggJ said:

Cracked a bottle of Belle Meade 9yo Single Barrel Cask Strength.  Gifted from a friend I have to say I am really impressed.  Excellent Bourbon.  For those interested check it out.  

http://www.greenbrierdistillery.com/products/

I found a couple of barrel picks of this and after drinking a bottle of each went back and bought cases - it's that good and for $54.99 less the case discount it was hard to pass on

opened an Abraham Bowman Gingerbread Cocoa.  Interesting nose.  not sure how I feel about how this tastes.  youngish for sure to me.  the cocoa finish is cool. 

IMG_3899.JPG

4Rsmb because it's Friday!!!  And it's HOT and I wanted something lighter and I wanted to satisfy my curiosity often a sub par 4Rsmb experience from my last bottle. This one is back to profile and a delicious though subtle blend of the 4 components. Really hit the spot this afternoon and confirmed that I will be able to enjoy this bottle rather than rushing to empty as I did it's predecessor thankfully a treat this time vs a trick, Happy Halloween weekend!!

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

This year's Old Forester Birthday Bourbon.    Fabulous nose!!!!

How do you like it . I was hoping to get this but Here in va I had to go through the lottery system to sign up to hopefully get chosen to buy a bottle ????.. I have yet to get an email so I guess it will not happen. ...not a fan of this lottery purchasing idea.

44 minutes ago, BobbieJoe said:

How do you like it . I was hoping to get this but Here in va I had to go through the lottery system to sign up to hopefully get chosen to buy a bottle ????.. I have yet to get an email so I guess it will not happen. ...not a fan of this lottery purchasing idea.

My take on this year's OFBB is that I can't decide yet whether it's a bottle I'd have bought, had I tasted it before hand.    Because, although the nose is exemplary, and worth the cheddar, the palate (at least the initial pour) is very citrus rind forward.    That, of course may even out after some air in the bottle for a few days/weex.... Or, I may just have had a really odd day inside my own mouth; but I doubt that, since the nose was so stellar, and very like other OFBB's I've had.     I'll wait a few days, and visit this one again.    Next time, I'll let the bottle stand open for an hour or so, then let the glencairn stand open after pouring for at least ten minutes, and see if it seems different.    More to come......

Just opened a bottle of Woodford I picked up on sale at the Class VI about two months ago. Goes down nice while watching the World Series after a long week at work.

40 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Opened my first bottle of ETL and am drinking a pour right now.  Very nice!

Still hoping to find one on the shelves in my area, at a reasonable price!

Opened up the first bottle (and tasted the first taste) I've had of the latest Whiskey Row offering from BF: Old Forester 1920.

It's waaaaaaaaaay better than The Original Batch (which to my palate was awful), and considerably better the Bond.... Which is faint praise for sure.

It is a decent pour; but at 50-bux a 750, still a rip-off.... Just less of one than either of the first two.    It may improve with some air; but as is, a drinkable, and even enjoyable dram, if one can forget about the aching wallet.

I'd still take OF Sig over it for half the cheese.... assuming the comments about the slide in quality are overstated, or the palates are different enough from mine. 

I've always found OF Sig a very nice pour, and well worth the ask.... But, I haven't tasted any bought within the last year and a half or so.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.