What bottle did you open today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, Richdel said:

Still hoping to find one on the shelves in my area, at a reasonable price!

We seem to have received a big shipment here in Oregon, and it's going for $35.95.  Good luck with your search!  My taste buds aren't discerning enough for me to say that the ETL is greatly better than other bourbons I have tasted, but it's definitely worth what I paid for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Opened a Rowans Creek a couple nights ago and must say I was not impressed. Very ehhhh to me...not sure on the make up but to me tasted very rye heavy which I was not expected. Lacked some of the complexity I was hoping for with the higher proof. Now I get to drudge through this bottle and hope maybe the Noah's Mill in the bunker is a bit better when it's time comes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Now I get to drudge through this bottle and hope maybe the Noah's Mill in the bunker is a bit better when it's time comes.

Just a thought but instead of drudging through the bottle now you might want to let it sit for awhile and hope air helps it.  Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, but I guess you've got nothing to lose.  FWIW, I enjoyed my only bottle of Rowan's Creek a couple of years ago but these sourced Willett products have a reputation of being inconsistent.  Good luck.

Just a thought but instead of drudging through the bottle now you might want to let it sit for awhile and hope air helps it.  Sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't, but I guess you've got nothing to lose.  FWIW, I enjoyed my only bottle of Rowan's Creek a couple of years ago but these sourced Willett products have a reputation of being inconsistent.  Good luck.

Great point....I'll give it some time. Gives me a chance to open another bottle as well!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I was trying to organize my bunker.  I decided to open a paper label Weller SR 7 year.  The nose on this is like fresh cut apples (more than any other bourbon I remember).  I taste apple too.  It's not very complicated, but decent.      

Finally got around to opening my bottle of OF1920.  The nose on this very prominent (almost fruity).  The first taste does not equal the nose.  Yhe alcohol is very upfront on this.  Good, but I hope it changes as it gets a bit of air.

Opened up WTRB 112.8. My first of this proof. Seems typical of Rare Breed, but I think the last batch is bit better. But this is a new bottle, so I will withhold judgement for now

Finally got around to opening my bottle of OF1920.  The nose on this very prominent (almost fruity).  The first taste does not equal the nose.  Yhe alcohol is very upfront on this.  Good, but I hope it changes as it gets a bit of air.

Funny, I opened up my OF1920 last evening as well, and I had the exact same assessment. Really nice nose, taste a bit harsh and restrained on the flavors, and not quite what I was expecting. Definitely OF profile, though. Based upon the positive reports on the 1920, I suspect this just needs some airtime. I'll revisit the 1920 again soon.

I have been really enjoying getting to know this place and the pleasures of a glass of straight bourbon or two.  Enjoyed the  OGD114 SBOTM thread (hope I got that abbreviatin' right) -- so went hunting for some and opened it tonight.  Have to say I am really impressed by it and may go back for a few more bottles to stash away.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprised how smoothly it goes down, and how it basically suffuses your chest and brain stem with pleasant heat the minute it lands...then warms for a full minute afterward.  The nose has hint of Tollhouse Chocolate Chip Cookie in it for me.  But there may be a bit of over-excited imagination at work there...

Liked both of these but preferred the OGD 114.  As noted in previous post I was really pleasantly surprised how good that was.  I found that the OGD 114 was better without water, but the McKenna really opened up and was very much smoother with a little water added.   Curious if that's something others have experienced with these two...

mckenna and ogd114.jpg

^^^Nice description of your experience, Steve.  I agree with your assessment that a bit of water added to the HM BIB can often smooth a rough edge or two out.  Depending on the particular barrel, I find that some of these can have a bit of a bitter, dry, nut and/or wood note.  

Thankfully, they all have a sweet spot.  Our job is simply, to find it!  :D 

Based on reviews from this site, HWMWND A4 S3.  Thanksgiving is the start of the holiday season for me, and this is my holiday bottle. Letting the pour have some air before enjoying.  Turkey in the oven, 45 minutes to football.  Happy Thanksgiving.

A nice 30 - 40 year old bottle of Old Charter Eight...when 8 meant 8 years, and after filtering it through a coffee filter to skim out the chunks, it was delish.  

On 11/23/2016 at 0:22 PM, Paddy said:

^^^Nice description of your experience, Steve.  I agree with your assessment that a bit of water added to the HM BIB can often smooth a rough edge or two out.  Depending on the particular barrel, I find that some of these can have a bit of a bitter, dry, nut and/or wood note.  

Thankfully, they all have a sweet spot.  Our job is simply, to find it!  :D 

THIS!!  I almost always add a little water to OGD 114 but not until after I taste it to see what my palate is tasting, and then I adjust the water accordingly.  With HMcK BIB, OTOH, I only add water to those I find have a "bitter, dry, nut and/or wood note."  Those will be isolated bottles, as I buy them one at a time and taste them neat.  If a particular bottle is exceptional, I immediately buy a few more.  If it isn't, I note the barrel number and then try small pours with varied amounts of water.  If I hit a sweet spot, I literally make a pencil note on the label.  HMcK BIB is an occasional (not a rare) selection, so I don't have to try to remember what I added every time I find the bottle.  

Whoo!  Just read over that.  Talk about obsessive behavior . . .  But, it works.

Opening up a bottle of KS 2002 to celebrate Thanksgiving. My 1st of this vintage. 

Happy Thanksgiving All.  Cheers!

IMG_0549.JPG

I opened my first bottle of Buffalo Trace.  I'm enjoying it neat right now, though I bought it with the intention of using it as a relatively inexpensive mixer.  Having it do double-duty is fine with me. :)

Opened a bottle of FRPS OBSK tonight. It is the youngest one I have ever grabbed and it tasted like it. It wasn't bad, just not nearly as good as the previous versions of OBSK I have had before.

Opened my first bottle ever of Blanton's over the Holiday Weekend. WOW. One of the best noses ever and a flavor profile that lived up to it. I may normally have a problem with the $60 price tag, but since I'll probably only find it once a year I can live with that. 

I opened a Weller 12 when I got home after work today. See my post in the "What Bourbon Did You Pass Up Today?"  thread for details. 

Opened a new EC 12 year from my bunkered stash. I was going to do a comparison with the NAS but the fiancée knocked over the NAS bottle while cleaning house, and so no more NAS.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to drink the 12 year tonight. Poor me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.