What bottle did you open today? Fall 2016

elmossle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Opened a new EC 12 year from my bunkered stash. I was going to do a comparison with the NAS but the fiancée knocked over the NAS bottle while cleaning house, and so no more NAS.

Oh well, guess I'll just have to drink the 12 year tonight. Poor me.

At least it was the NAS, much easier to replace. 

16 minutes ago, RocAFella1 said:

At least it was the NAS, much easier to replace. 

Very true, it could have been worse.

Cracked open my first OGD 114, and I am quite pleased! It's an amazing sipper for the 26 bucks I paid. I think I need to grab one each time I bourbon until it's gone. 

Dang. 

11 hours ago, gtg1 said:

Cracked open my first OGD 114, and I am quite pleased! It's an amazing sipper for the 26 bucks I paid. I think I need to grab one each time I bourbon until it's gone. 

Dang. 

I've been tucking these away too.  Have been researching and I've heard that older bottles of this are much beloved.  Have my fingers crossed that I'll trip across some -- some fine day...

Grabbed a bottle of Michter's over the weekend. Sweet and no burn. Anybody else had this before? Thoughts?

49 minutes ago, Knocksville10 said:

Grabbed a bottle of Michter's over the weekend. Sweet and no burn. Anybody else had this before? Thoughts?

There are a lot of different Michter's releases, both bourbon and rye.  Which release are you referring to?  I presume the Small Batch Bourbon?  Can't say I've had that one.

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

There are a lot of different Michter's releases, both bourbon and rye.  Which release are you referring to?  I presume the Small Batch Bourbon?  Can't say I've had that one.

Yeah sorry. It's just the small batch bourbon. Which have you tried? How was it? I enjoyed the small batch, so naturally I'd be more than open to trying the rest.

On 12/4/2016 at 6:32 PM, JTaylor said:

Cracked the seal on an ECBP 136. Wow! Wishing I hadn't waited so long! 

Yes!

I think ECBP is just one of the best darn bourbon's available.

It tastes like liquid gold to me.

I think it's right up there with some of the best LE's.

I opened a bottle of SAOS10 SiB 118.6 proof  Brl 3309.  I like it, just not sure how much yet.  Comparing it to a bottle of EC(NAS), the nose isn't overwhelming, but for 118 proof, it is very smooth.  

I will need to spend a few more nights with it to before making final thoughts on the barrel.  I have a second bottle of SAOS10 from this barrel in the bunker.

Opened a bottle of 1792 High Rye this evening. I will need to revisit it this weekend but opening impressions are it is good. It was smooth with the right amount of kick given the higher rye content. To me, it seemed like to taste of higher proof even though it was not. Finish was good and strong with a nice butterscotch taste. Reminded me of THH a lot which is why I need to revisit it. I really like THH and if I can find a substitute that is 1) available and 2) significantly cheaper, I will be looking to stock up on this one.

On 12/6/2016 at 9:06 PM, 0895 said:

Yes!

I think ECBP is just one of the best darn bourbon's available.

It tastes like liquid gold to me.

I think it's right up there with some of the best LE's.

Definitely full of flavor, but full of heat too... I didn't add much water because I really wanted to taste it and I found it delicious. I'll give it a couple days and have another go.  The flavor really shined through the heat so I'm betting a touch more water will temper the heat and really let the flavor pop!

3 hours ago, JTaylor said:

Definitely full of flavor, but full of heat too... I didn't add much water because I really wanted to taste it and I found it delicious. I'll give it a couple days and have another go.  The flavor really shined through the heat so I'm betting a touch more water will temper the heat and really let the flavor pop!

I don't get what I would call heat from my bottle. I certainly get a tingle on the tongue from the high proof until it either numbs or I add water. I usually associate "heat" with the alcohol vapor after burn on the back of throats after swallowing. ECBP hits me differently. In a good way, but it usually needs just a wee bit of water. 

1 hour ago, Charlutz said:

I don't get what I would call heat from my bottle. I certainly get a tingle on the tongue from the high proof until it either numbs or I add water. I usually associate "heat" with the alcohol vapor after burn on the back of throats after swallowing. ECBP hits me differently. In a good way, but it usually needs just a wee bit of water. 

Oh, yeah, no real "heat" in the throat... When I say "heat" I mean that burn on the sides of the tongue that feels like a hot pepper. I had about a 2 oz pour with EXACTLY 2 drops of water :D I like to try them all neat first because some are just better without the water. Then, since I'm afraid of over-diluting I'll add water sparingly and usually just a few drops does the trick. Well, with the ECBP I added the two drops and headed for my recliner for some quiet contemplation. The taste was coming through so I just didn't bother getting up for more water, and in truth I was kind of enjoying the burn... kind of like how you enjoy the burn with some GOOD Buffalo wings where the burn actually enhances the taste rather than obscuring it. I really enjoyed this bourbon burn and all, but I'm thinking with just a touch more water It'll be exquisite! 

Broke out something new from the bunker.

WTAS

The is not one wild bird. Sublime from first pour.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, BFerguson said:

Broke out something new from the bunker.

WTAS

The is not one wild bird. Sublime from first pour.

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice B. Very nice. Enjoy. :D

Cheers! Joe

I just cracked open a much anticipated 1792 High Rye. Solid first impression. Pretty smooth with a little spice at the end.

I'm celebrating my 34th birthday today , i'm planning to open a bottle or two. Now in belgium, it's 11:30 am, so it's a little early for bourbon, i'll be waiting until 20:00 pm to start. I'll send the photos later. 

Cheers !

I opened a Coopers' Craft last night, not real impressed. I have had better at 29.99 but thought I would give it a try.

I pulled a couple of bottles from my bunker this morning. They may not be opened today, but rest assured they'll be open soon for the holiday's.

Cheers! Joe

xmas.jpeg

Opened a Blanton's, ER10, and BT at a tasting I've done for 3 years now for a friend at his jewelry store in town.  Lot's of interest in both the jewelry and the bourbon, always a good time to share with those new to the brown water and those more experienced.  I tried not to lead the jury but the Blanton's was the favorite followed by the ER10 but many were surprised by the BT as well.  Definitely more had seen the Blanton's and were at least familiar with the bottle design which led them to want to try that one.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.