Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Alright, so in summary:

Batch #1 - 134.4 proof

Batch #2 - 128.X proof

Batch #3 - 132.1 proof

I have a bottle each of batches #1 and #2 in the bunker and a bottle of batch #1 opened. It is interesting hearing so many in this thread saying they like #1 over #2, since several formal reviewers have said #2 was an improvement over #1. I guess I'll just have to draw from the bunker and taste for myself. :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware a batch #3 was released, I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Several local stores still have batch #2 on the shelves.

Jason

I'm not sure why folks got so wrapped around the axle about batch #1. I thought it was a great brute of a bourbon, and for the $45 I paid a great value. I am sure I would like the two subsequent batches just as well. I have a hard time finding differences in recent batches anyway, since I haven't really found a way to taste them in a way that the one bourbon I taste doesn't affect the next, but that's probably why I'm not a professional whiskey writer.

There is a lot of markup on it around here, but it can still be found fairly easily for about $48. I don't know that I would pay as much for Stagg Jr. as for ECBP (my last bottle of that was about $60 before taxes), but ECBP has an age statement and is clearly a more popular product, so it's a lot harder for me to find.

To me batch 2 is dryer less sweet and more oaked. If you are a Parker's fan or EC fan I suspect you might like this one better. It all goes back to you like what you like and reviews can throw you off track sometimes.

I don't recall batch 1 making it to the shelves in Indy. I found a bottle and enjoyed it. I typically mix it 50/50 with BT. I did see a bottle of batch 2 on the shelf but passed since I still had quite a bit left in my first bottle. Both bottles were $49.99. I will probably buy another bottle when this one is empty.

I continue to be a fan. I add a little BT to bring down the proof and soften the hardest edges. I've only had batch 1 and still have some of that in the bunker. I won't pay above retail for it, but will gladly seek it out and add to the collection.

I continue to be a fan. I add a little BT to bring down the proof and soften the hardest edges. I've only had batch 1 and still have some of that in the bunker. I won't pay above retail for it, but will gladly seek it out and add to the collection.

I started with Jr on the second batch. It's interesting to read how much variation there seems to be with it. I have 3 left of batch 2, I'm going to have to get some batch 3 after all.

It sat a long time on shelves in Texas so I don't think it's going to be a tough hunt.

Yeah, I know we discussed early on that it would have been better to call it BT barrel proof. Expectations were raised with the name Stagg attached to it. Personally, I think it is a great bourbon for the price. I typically add a little water or mix with BT but either way, I enjoy it.

Im sipping on Stagg Jr. right now. I absolutely love it and I finally realized why. I have recently acquired the taste for dark chocolate and my palate detects a significant dark chocolate note in Stagg Jr. It's the reason I can understand its not some peoples cup but at the same time respectfully disagree.

Beg your forgiveness if this has been said somewhere, but does anyone know, is it confirmed that Stagg Jr is being discontinued?

Beg your forgiveness if this has been said somewhere, but does anyone know, is it confirmed that Stagg Jr is being discontinued?
Sku stated on Facebook that this rumor is 100% untrue and that Stagg Jr. is selling quite well. I'm not worried, personally. I really enjoy this one and hope it's around a good long while.

A bunch of Stagg Jr seems to have landed in Atlanta in the last week or so. It is 128.? proof. Anybody know if this is the second dump or is it a third?

Yeahhh... I didn't read the comments on the previous page. Guessing this is third release now. Wasn't the second 128.something as well?

Edited by maybeling

I believe that's one of the Dalmores you're thinking of.

Ahh Joe, I may not drink bourbon much anymore, ok hardly ever, but I still try to bunker some of the good/cheap/uncut stuff in preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Ahh Joe, I may not drink bourbon much anymore, ok hardly ever, but I still try to bunker some of the good/cheap/uncut stuff in preparation for the Zombie Apocalypse.

Thanks for stoppin' by! :slappin:

A bunch of Stagg Jr seems to have landed in Atlanta in the last week or so. It is 128.? proof. Anybody know if this is the second dump or is it a third?

Yeahhh... I didn't read the comments on the previous page. Guessing this is third release now. Wasn't the second 128.something as well?

I think the second was 128.7. What's the third, 128 even?

I think the second was 128.7. What's the third, 128 even?

I didn't bring one home so I'm not sure. It definitely wasn't 128 even, maybe 128.4 or 128.7 again.

My notes indicate:

1-134.4

2-128.7

3-132.1

Thought my memory was failing me for a second, so I just called one of the shops where I saw it. Confirmed that it is 128.7, so maybe the second release just made it to shelves in Atlanta? :confused:

Thought my memory was failing me for a second, so I just called one of the shops where I saw it. Confirmed that it is 128.7, so maybe the second release just made it to shelves in Atlanta? :confused:

Nope. The bottle I picked upa week or so ago is 132.1. Perhaps your store was sitting on one for a while

Just picked up a 132.1 today. Now I have at least one of each batch. I am a big fan of Stagg Jr. when vatted with Buffalo Trace store bottlings.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.