Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Regardless of anything, this is an absolutely brilliant move by BT. Building off a mega-hot brand. Pappy Jr., next? Other things have to be handled correctly, but I think the concept is solid from a business standpoint. BTW, I can't think of any place other than SB.Com for the "idea" of using "Jr."

It will be higher than 100 proof if it is entered into the barrel at 125 proof. Since the specific proof will vary by run the 100 was entered just for label approval.

I also like the move by BT. Fills a hole in their lineup. I hope they will allow some SB bottlings be done with this label.

This is basically the return of ER 10/101

BT figured stagg is hot right now so it's a great way to fill this hole and sell a crap load of bourbon

That was a good question viz. the barrel proof vs. 100 proof statements. The 100 could be a placeholder I guess, and perhaps using different whiskeys they will get a Stagg that is 25% weaker, say, than the usual one, using bourbons from another warehouse or in the same one but whose final proof is lower than what Stagg used. If they will reduce with water to get to 100, this does not seem consistent with barrel proof unless some kind of re-barreling will be done perhaps? Interesting.

Gary

That was a good question viz. the barrel proof vs. 100 proof statements. The 100 could be a placeholder I guess, and perhaps using different whiskeys they will get a Stagg that is 25% weaker, say, than the usual one, using bourbons from another warehouse or in the same one but whose final proof is lower than what Stagg used. If they will reduce with water to get to 100, this does not seem consistent with barrel proof unless some kind of re-barreling will be done perhaps? Interesting.

Gary

Fairly sure it is a placeholder; every label approval I've seen for a barrel proofer has something filled in for the proof. Being younger is what makes it "Jr." but being barrel proof is what makes it Stagg.

Fairly sure it is a placeholder; every label approval I've seen for a barrel proofer has something filled in for the proof. Being younger is what makes it "Jr." but being barrel proof is what makes it Stagg.

Or Col EH Taylor.

Or Col EH Taylor.

Good point.... Let's hope this one has a more attractive price then?

Regular Stagg never had an age statement IIRC, so the idea that junior means younger doesn't make sense to me although perhaps it will be a question of both, younger and lower proof than Stagg Senior, with customers drawing the inferences from the lower pricing.

Gary

Regular Stagg never had an age statement IIRC, so the idea that junior means younger doesn't make sense to me although perhaps it will be a question of both, younger and lower proof than Stagg Senior, with customers drawing the inferences from the lower pricing.

Gary

Stagg has never had an age statement on the bottle, but it's age has been published every year and I can't seem to recall it ever being anything under 15 years old. I don't doubt that it will be slightly lower proof as well given that BT barrels tend to gain proof with age. If it's around the same age as EHT barrel proof then I anticipate a similar proof in the 130's.

Since it is BT, I am going to hold off any excitement. The pricing of the EH Taylor bourbons has me concerned about pricing, and I also have concerns about availability. We'll see. I am through getting on anybody's list, or doing any sort of pleading..

I'm thinking around 130 proof as well. Even if the barrels were selected from the cooler parts of the warehouses which may loose a little in proof it should still come in around 120. Looks like BT is developing a younger version of Stagg with a lower price point and perhaps wider availability.

I think the lowest Stagg Senior was around 130, so that seems too high for Junior. 120 would work better if that is the angle they will work on.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.