Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

132.2 is the best so far IMO. I really enjoyed the 132.1 but a sbs proved the 132.2 to be better.

Interesting given the negligible difference in proof. I have batch 2 open and 3/4 in the bunker so I might have to open both at the same time eventually and try to compare if I can remember.

Interesting given the negligible difference in proof. I have batch 2 open and 3/4 in the bunker so I might have to open both at the same time eventually and try to compare if I can remember.

DO IT!

I have both but am out of town for a few weeks.

As luck would have it, I was informed yesterday that I have another bottle from Batch #3 headed my way. :woohoo: I have one open, but have been sipping from it rather sparingly, and will continue to do so. The one I have on the way will probably go into my "secondary" bunker. My "secondary" bunker consists of bottles that I consider special, or are one of's, and/or are the last of their kind that I have, that I've put away for enjoyment further on down the road. I'll probably get another bottle or two from Batch #4. Can't help it. It's all good.:rolleyes:

FWIW, I'm sipping on a Batch #4 as I post this. :cool:

Cheers! Joe

As luck would have it, I was informed yesterday that I have another bottle from Batch #3 headed my way. :woohoo: I have one open, but have been sipping from it rather sparingly, and will continue to do so. The one I have on the way will probably go into my "secondary" bunker. My "secondary" bunker consists of bottles that I consider special, or are one of's, and/or are the last of their kind that I have, that I've put away for enjoyment further on down the road. I'll probably get another bottle or two from Batch #4. Can't help it. It's all good.:rolleyes:

Cool! I have 2 bottles of Batch #3 (1 drinking, 1 cellared). Have not seen Batch #4 around here, but there is plenty of #3 around.

FWIW, I'm sipping on a Batch #4 as I post this. :cool:

Cheers! Joe

Batch #5 is out, 129.7 proof. Anyone tried it yet as compared with previous batches?

• 2 weeks later...

I walked into my local liquor store (1 mile down the road) and found FOUR bottles of Batch 4 - bought all of them! It is a wonderful batch!

Batch #5 is out, 129.7 proof. Anyone tried it yet as compared with previous batches?

Was wondering the same thing myself. If anyone has tried it, please share the details.

So it doesn't come north to Canada often and of course there's that premium they want on top of taxes. Is it worth the hype?

I'm looking for a bottle to set aside for a special occasion I know is coming up in the new year with others but don't want to get sucked into chasing a bottle that doesn't live up to price.

Can anyone put a comparison on this bourbon?

So it doesn't come north to Canada often and of course there's that premium they want on top of taxes. Is it worth the hype?

I'm looking for a bottle to set aside for a special occasion I know is coming up in the new year with others but don't want to get sucked into chasing a bottle that doesn't live up to price.

Can anyone put a comparison on this bourbon?

Here is 72 pages worth (and this is just one thread). General consensus, the batches get better with #1 being the least desirable.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?19172-Stagg-Jr&highlight=stagg+jr

Everyone's palette is different. I drink mostly lower proof Wheated bourbons such as Weller Special Reserve which is 90 proof. I know George T. Stagg is considered legendary but I can never find a bottle so when I saw Stagg Jr. I had to try it. Mind you that this was batch #1 the highest proof to date my first impression was I could start my car with this stuff. I am learning to enjoy the higher proof bottles and have recently opened a Stagg Jr. 132.2 proof and I got to tell you that it's pretty darn good. So, if you can find a bottle I'd go ahead and grab it.

I admittedly don't have a wide breadth of experience with bourbon, given that my liquor budget battles my beer budget for most of the year (and I've only been into whiskey for the last couple years), but for what it's worth, I really like the more recent batch of Stagg Jr. I had (132.2, which I believe is the 4th batch). I had Stagg Jr. a year or two back and wasn't really impressed, but the newer stuff is really tasty.

Huge fan boy of Stagg Jr Batch 3 here. One of my Top 5 Bourbons!

Not sure it's in my top 5, but definitely in my top 10. Only had batch 3, and glad I bought a couple. Full flavor and finishes like a toasted marshmallow.

Not sure it's in my top 5, but definitely in my top 10. Only had batch 3, and glad I bought a couple. Full flavor and finishes like a toasted marshmallow.

Batch 3 and 4 were very good versions of Stagg Jr., and a good example of barrel proof bourbons overall.

It costs $50 here. How much in Canada? I'm not sorry I tried it. For $50, I would get something else.

$85 in Ontario

I found a bottle of the 129.7 (batch 5) yesterday, but I didn't get a chance to open it, yet. I've been enjoying the 132.2 (batch 4) a lot.

Not too bad considering I was paying $69.99 per bottle before I found a cheaper source.

$69.99? I'm guessing that was one of the chains?

Hidden
$69.99? I'm guessing that was one of the chains?

Yes, Payless. They seem to be a bit higher on some of their bourbons. One thing I will say the 146th Street location has an amazing variety of bourbons that I don't find at other stores.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.