Stagg Jr.

doubleblank
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have to say, I quite liked Batch 1, myself.

Just opened a batch 4. With a little water it has a caramel candy nose, a little bit of wood and tasted pretty darn good

Stalag jr finally hit east Texas, but it's $70. What do you fellas think, is that too much?

That's definitely pushing it, if I had never had it and really wanted to try it I might pay that but not on a regular basis. It is good and I have a few but when it get over 55 I start to back off.

Did get a chance to pick up some of this a month ago or so here in GJ: Stagg Jr. 9 Yr. Old (Batch 3) (132.1 Proof).

Did get a chance to pick up some of this a month ago or so here in GJ: Stagg Jr. 9 Yr. Old (Batch 3) (132.1 Proof).

Where exactly are you getting the 9yr age statement from? I've never seen a bottle with one.

Where exactly are you getting the 9yr age statement from? I've never seen a bottle with one.

From the Whiskey Lately website.

Hah. I asked the same thing a few months ago as well when he or someone else mentioned an age statement with it, but I can't find that thread anymore. It's damn near impossible to find anything more than a day old.

If you go to that website, he mentions 8-9 yrs, Batch 1 and 2. So,..............

That very well may be, but, it's only hearsay without an official age statement on the label or in official literature from the distillery. When we mention what we buy or drink here it's basically assumed that we're reporting what is known and what is fact so including a definitive 9 year age with a mention of Stagg Jr. is going to raise eyebrows.

Hah. I asked the same thing a few months ago as well when he or someone else mentioned an age statement with it, but I can't find that thread anymore. It's damn near impossible to find anything more than a day old.

I don't even use the search function anymore. I go straight to google and search for the topic along with the words "straightbourbon.com". Works very well.

That very well may be, but, it's only hearsay without an official age statement on the label or in official literature from the distillery. When we mention what we buy or drink here it's basically assumed that we're reporting what is known and what is fact so including a definitive 9 year age with a mention of Stagg Jr. is going to raise eyebrows.

I understand. I just would like somekind of reference point and that is all I could find. So, what are we saying for this Batch 3, year wise?

I understand. I just would like somekind of reference point and that is all I could find. So, what are we saying for this Batch 3, year wise?

I like reference points too, and the 8-9 year range is generally reported for Jr. We just can't state that as known fact. They're going for a profile, just like with Sr., so age is going to vary from batch to batch. I haven't seen any age estimations for batch 3 (not saying they're not out there, I just haven't seen them). What's more pertinent for me is that batches 3 and 4 have been the best so far.

I like reference points too, and the 8-9 year range is generally reported for Jr. We just can't state that as known fact. They're going for a profile, just like with Sr., so age is going to vary from batch to batch. I haven't seen any age estimations for batch 3 (not saying they're not out there, I just haven't seen them). What's more pertinent for me is that batches 3 and 4 have been the best so far.

This is my first taste of Stagg Jr., (Batch 3). I like it, bought another bottle also, :cool: Have not seen any other Batch(s), so far in GJ.

no hearsay, it's direct from buffalo trace

http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/pdf/Buffalo%20Trace%20Distillery%20Announces%20the%20Release%20of%20Stagg%20Jr.%20Bourbon.pdf

whiskey lately is a credible blog and does his research

no hearsay, it's direct from buffalo trace

http://www.buffalotracemediakit.com/pdf/Buffalo%20Trace%20Distillery%20Announces%20the%20Release%20of%20Stagg%20Jr.%20Bourbon.pdf

whiskey lately is a credible blog and does his research

I'm aware of this statement from BT and the 8 to 9 age range so perhaps "hearsay" is the wrong word choice. Two points though: this statement is for batch 1 from two years ago. We don't know what is is now. Secondly, it's still not proper to apply an age statement to it when reporting it here. It comes off as an actual age statement like you see on a bottle which it is not. When I drink WT101, I don't say aged 7 years because WT reports there are barrels that old in the batch (along with younger).

I'm aware of this statement from BT and the 8 to 9 age range so perhaps "hearsay" is the wrong word choice. Two points though: this statement is for batch 1 from two years ago. We don't know what is is now. Secondly, it's still not proper to apply an age statement to it when reporting it here. It comes off as an actual age statement like you see on a bottle which it is not. When I drink WT101, I don't say aged 7 years because WT reports there are barrels that old in the batch (along with younger).

Personelly I keep all my bourbon's/whiskey's on a list, and I put a few stat's about the stuff. Sometimes I forget to erase info on the cut and paste.:cool:

i agree it's not an official age statement and by no means should anyone use it as such.

just fyi though, the buffalo trace website still states "nearly a decade"

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/stagg-jr

when i write reviews i make a distinction between bottle age statements and press releases/website info. i still think it's valuable info, i just leave it up to the reader to decide how valuable that info is.

i agree it's not an official age statement and by no means should anyone use it as such.

just fyi though, the buffalo trace website still states "nearly a decade"

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/stagg-jr

when i write reviews i make a distinction between bottle age statements and press releases/website info. i still think it's valuable info, i just leave it up to the reader to decide how valuable that info is.

Totally agree it's valuable info and I'm aware it's still reported to be in that range. It's info I like to have. It's not age stated on the label for a reason though because it gives them flexibility. The reason I keep bringing this up is because when it's stated as it was by MTN up thread, it's interpreted as an actual age statement by newer members and incorrect information like that has a way of taking on a life all its own and getting repeated as if it's fact.

Totally agree it's valuable info and I'm aware it's still reported to be in that range. It's info I like to have. It's not age stated on the label for a reason though because it gives them flexibility. The reason I keep bringing this up is because when it's stated as it was by MTN up thread, it's interpreted as an actual age statement by newer members and incorrect information like that has a way of taking on a life all its own and getting repeated as if it's fact.

You continue to be exactly right here, and are correct in pointing out the importance of keeping the record straight, Steve. Though I am sure that he did not intend to be deceptive, MTN's statement certainly implied an age statement, and pointing out the fact that it is not is entirely appropriate. All this other discussion of press releases, websites, etc is immaterial background static.

It's all about flexibility as Steve pointed out. One barrel may hit the profile 'sweet spot' at 8.5 years, while another may not hit until 9.5.

Either way you look at it, they still get to dump it quicker than Stagg Sr. or Eagle Rare! :lol:

Batch #3 was really tasting good last night. I have a few bottles set aside, as well as batch #4. I am hearing they are relatively similar?

I've tried some of the recent batches and there is a definite improvement (to my taste) over the original release.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.