Which one will fall next?

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Which brands even have an age statement now?  I can think of:

HH 6YO BIB

ER 10YO

HM 10YO BIB

EC 12YO BP

Weller 12

Bakers 7YO

Wathens 12YO

Van Winkle Collection 

Bookers

EWSB

plus assorted LE

Which others am I missing?

I didn't buy a Limtied Edition this year that didn't have an age statement.

Don't forget that the whole BTAC is age stated.

Hmmm. We paying for those age statements ain't we. ;)

25 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

HH 6YO BIB

ER 10YO

HM 10YO BIB

EC 12YO BP

Weller 12

Bakers 7YO

Wathens 12YO

Van Winkle Collection 

Bookers

EWSB

plus assorted LE

Old Ezra 7

Ezra 12

Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Willett Family Estate

Four Roses private selections

Medley

Elijah 18/23

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Old Ezra 7

Ezra 12

Smooth Ambler Old Scout

Willett Family Estate

Four Roses private selections

Medley

Elijah 18/23

Russell's Reserve 10yr bourbon and 6yr rye.

Rebel Yell 10yr single barrel.

4 hours ago, Louisiana said:

Hmmm. We paying for those age statements ain't we. ;)

Another way to look at it is, we weren't paying for them for decades...;)

HH 6YO BIB
ER 10YO
HM 10YO BIB
EC 12YO BP
Weller 12
Bakers 7YO
Wathens 12YO
Van Winkle Collection 
Bookers
EWSB
plus assorted LE

I feel like calling them out like that at this point is like offering a list to the age statement gallows.

Paranoia I'm sure...wait did y'all here something.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be some disconnect between the distillers and we the consumers. I dont want to speak for everyone, but I know as a consumer, I enjoy the special nuances that I discover from batch to batch or different age variations and am not necessarily looking for a "more consistent flavor profile" as they like to put it. Seems with the growing craft beer and spirits market, distillers would be looking to maintain or incorporate any aspects to create that "x-factor" for their product and age statements is a way to maintain that x-factor in my opinion. Just my thoughts, but I'm sure there is more to it than meets the consumers eyes.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Seems to be some disconnect between the distillers and we the consumers. I dont want to speak for everyone, but I know as a consumer, I enjoy the special nuances that I discover from batch to batch or different age variations and am not necessarily looking for a "more consistent flavor profile" as they like to put it. Seems with the growing craft beer and spirits market, distillers would be looking to maintain or incorporate any aspects to create that "x-factor" for their product and age statements is a way to maintain that x-factor in my opinion. Just my thoughts, but I'm sure there is more to it than meets the consumers eyes.....

For the most part, you are simply talking about supply and demand. Take EWSB for example. Up until 2004 or 2005 (I forget when the transition occurred), EWSB was generally bottled at 10 years old. HH probably had a master plan, had a certain amount of barrels allocated to EWSB, knew to pull them at around 10 years old, had a certain profile, and things were generally in order.

Then starting with 2005 or 2006, they suddenly ran out of EWSB barrels to bottle in that year, so they pulled bottles from next year's batch and started bottling at say 9 years old or less. Fast forward a couple of years later, and there are now EWSB 2008 bottles in stores in 2016, at 8 years old or less.

In this case, we still have an age statement, but the age has gotten quite a bit younger. So it is not technically losing an age statement. But this is HH choosing to bottle younger bourbon to meet demand. Sort of the same concept as removing the age statement from EC12. Being able to bottle younger bourbon to meet demand. They may say they want to have the ability to pick younger barrels to give more flexibility of "meeting the profile". But I do not think they made that decision in a vacuum after seeing fit to sell EC12 at 12 years old for so long. They want to sell bourbon, and in order to get more bourbon on the market, they had to go younger. And this is just HH. Booker's has gotten generally younger. Knob Creek is NAS. Etc.

Like others on the thread have mentioned, Eagle Rare 10, and Henry McKenna BIB 10, seem like they are readily available, and well priced for their age.  So I could see the age statement going away.  It would be sad, as potentially the profile would change.  I recommend both of these bourbons to friends and also to people newer to bourbon that want to step up from Jim Beam White, and the like.  Store Selections of Eagle Rare 10 can be exceptional!

On December 21, 2016 at 3:07 PM, starhopper said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see sub-$30 Bottled-In-Bond bourbons being discontinued over the next few years.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the most part, you are simply talking about supply and demand. Take EWSB for example. Up until 2004 or 2005 (I forget when the transition occurred), EWSB was generally bottled at 10 years old. HH probably had a master plan, had a certain amount of barrels allocated to EWSB, knew to pull them at around 10 years old, had a certain profile, and things were generally in order.

Then starting with 2005 or 2006, they suddenly ran out of EWSB barrels to bottle in that year, so they pulled bottles from next year's batch and started bottling at say 9 years old or less. Fast forward a couple of years later, and there are now EWSB 2008 bottles in stores in 2016, at 8 years old or less.

In this case, we still have an age statement, but the age has gotten quite a bit younger. So it is not technically losing an age statement. But this is HH choosing to bottle younger bourbon to meet demand. Sort of the same concept as removing the age statement from EC12. Being able to bottle younger bourbon to meet demand. They may say they want to have the ability to pick younger barrels to give more flexibility of "meeting the profile". But I do not think they made that decision in a vacuum after seeing fit to sell EC12 at 12 years old for so long. They want to sell bourbon, and in order to get more bourbon on the market, they had to go younger. And this is just HH. Booker's has gotten generally younger. Knob Creek is NAS. Etc.

I agree, it 100% comes down to supply and demand for the juice. For sake of discussion though, why couldn't they keep EC12, HMcK10 BIB, ER10 and just start marketing and selling a younger version of product at a lower cost? This essentially gets back to us paying for the age statements mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seems an option like this would keep all parties happy, possibly? Thoughts?

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Their message was not that they would match the same profile, but rather the change would help them provide  better quality and maintain a more consistent profile.  

Directly from their website:

With the second-largest inventory of Bourbon in the world and knowing that each barrel, no matter the age, matures at different rates depending on its location, Heaven Hill is confident that through our stringent barrel selection process, we will be able to maintain the desired taste profile and quality that has made Elijah Craig Small Batch one of the most critically acclaimed Bourbons in the world. More importantly, we are dedicated to being transparent in this change and providing consumers with as much information as reasonably possible.

2 hours ago, dSculptor said:

Directly from their website:

With the second-largest inventory of Bourbon in the world and knowing that each barrel, no matter the age, matures at different rates depending on its location, Heaven Hill is confident that through our stringent barrel selection process, we will be able to maintain the desired taste profile and quality that has made Elijah Craig Small Batch one of the most critically acclaimed Bourbons in the world. More importantly, we are dedicated to being transparent in this change and providing consumers with as much information as reasonably possible.

Well, "close,  but no cigar.".  That is different than saying "same".  

On 12/23/2016 at 5:40 PM, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

HH 6YO BIB

ER 10YO

HM 10YO BIB

EC 12YO BP

Weller 12

Bakers 7YO

Wathens 12YO

Van Winkle Collection 

Bookers

EWSB

plus assorted LE

J.W. Dant

J.T.S. Brown

9 hours ago, Jazz Nut said:

Like others on the thread have mentioned, Eagle Rare 10, and Henry McKenna BIB 10, seem like they are readily available, and well priced for their age.  So I could see the age statement going away.  It would be sad, as potentially the profile would change.  I recommend both of these bourbons to friends and also to people newer to bourbon that want to step up from Jim Beam White, and the like.  Store Selections of Eagle Rare 10 can be exceptional!

I agree that the ten years on the back of ER is probably on the chopping block. As for it being readily available, it's become almost a unicorn in the St. Louis area with many stores including it in their allocated lotteries. Pricing is all over the map when you do find it. I've seen it $28 up to around $45. Found one store pick of ER but didn't pick it up since it was $49.99.

I agree that the ten years on the back of ER is probably on the chopping block. As for it being readily available, it's become almost a unicorn in the St. Louis area with many stores including it in their allocated lotteries. Pricing is all over the map when you do find it. I've seen it $28 up to around $45. Found one store pick of ER but didn't pick it up since it was $49.99.

Same can be said in the Charlotte, NC area. Hard to come by in either NC or SC, and pricing varies as well. One of my favorite bottles and would definitely hate to see the 10 year age statement go by the wayside, or the quality to diminish for that matter. Glad to have a reserve in the bunker.

Not sure how to get the pic from there to here on my phone but Heaven Hill posted a pic on their Facebook that showed ECBP in the new bottle and I'm afraid I see no age statement anywhere on it.

1 hour ago, BMartin42 said:

Not sure how to get the pic from there to here on my phone but Heaven Hill posted a pic on their Facebook that showed ECBP in the new bottle and I'm afraid I see no she statement anywhere on it.

The COLA shows the side label for the new ECBP bottle. 

ECB side.png

Edited by Tucker

Not sure how to get the pic from there to here on my phone but Heaven Hill posted a pic on their Facebook that showed ECBP in the new bottle and I'm afraid I see no age statement anywhere on it.

Gotta see the back of the bottle to know for sure. That is where the current age statement is.

Gotta see the back of the bottle to know for sure. That is where the current age statement is.

Phew. Good to know. Haven't seen any of the new bottles yet.

Phew. Good to know. Haven't seen any of the new bottles yet.

To be clear, I am speaking to the original bottle of ECBP. The age statement is on the back, not the front. So unless you have seen the back of the new label (which I have not), we need to reserve judgment on this question until we do.

I, for one, might kinda like to see ECBP go with variable ages like the EWSB has done. I think I'd rather enjoy a cask strength 8 year old EC. I haven't seen an ECBP around here, and haven't been bothered by it either, as 12 years I thought was too much age for HH bourbon, as I never really liked EC12.

Just leave my HH6BIB out of it! That's the best value in bourbon today.

10 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

I, for one, might kinda like to see ECBP go with variable ages like the EWSB has done. I think I'd rather enjoy a cask strength 8 year old EC. I haven't seen an ECBP around here, and haven't been bothered by it either, as 12 years I thought was too much age for HH bourbon, as I never really liked EC12.

Just leave my HH6BIB out of it! That's the best value in bourbon today.

My question would be at 8 years old is it really Elijah Craig?  From my prospective one of the great things about EC12 was that it was at the long end of aging in oak. I would rather see a completely new product than continue changing the original. 

I don't think the ER is a likely candidate,  They didn't move their age statement, it was always on the back and the neck and they took it of the neck for a legitimate bottling reason since the label had to be centered by hand and they moved the bottling out of the hand bottling area. The single barrel designation was a casualty of the same bottling change.

I do think we will see less ER on the shelves and more allocation of it.  All BT products are on some degree of allocation in most states.  

I also heard that ER will have the fewest number of barrels allocated to the single barrel select program among the BT brands for store picks next year.

Edited by bigmzungu
Added info

2 hours ago, bigmzungu said:

I also heard that ER will have the fewest number of barrels allocated to the single barrel select program among the BT brands for store picks next year.

Less than OWA?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.