Which one will fall next?

dSculptor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

21 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Speaking of which aren't we about due for the return of EC12 at its new higher price???

Still plenty of the 12yo - age stated on the front label - available in Ontario. Either LCBO bought tons of it before the change to NAS (possible), or they are still bottling it for export. There has been no price increase since going NAS in the USA.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/elijah-craig-12-years-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon/547729#.WHEoOfkrLb0

Edited by portwood

3 hours ago, portwood said:

Still plenty of the 12yo - age stated on the front label - available in Ontario. Either LCBO bought tons of it before the change to NAS (possible), or they are still bottling it for export. There has been no price increase since going NAS in the USA.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/elijah-craig-12-years-old-kentucky-straight-bourbon/547729#.WHEoOfkrLb0

You should get a job with the Ontario Tourist Board. Your statement probably just double the number of of visitors your province will get this year. 

14 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

You should get a job with the Ontario Tourist Board. Your statement probably just double the number of of visitors your province will get this year. 

Maybe not at $47.95 CAD.  Which is still $36 US.  I enjoyed EC12 at $24.  At $28 in the states now with NAS, It may still be a good selection, but I tend to reach for something else.  Probably more sour grapes about price escalation for younger whiskey than anything :angry:

• 5 months later...

Seems like I am always getting caught off guard with bourbons being discontinued and wish there was a "new topic" to warn the true enthusiasts.  Well......here it is.  OGD 114 was the last that I heard about but it didn't disappear because mines changed I guess.  I'm also assuming my beloved Henry McKenna BIB will probably ditch the age statement sometime soon and that's all I know or think I know folks.

1 hour ago, BOURBONPOOR said:

Seems like I am always getting caught off guard with bourbons being discontinued and wish there was a "new topic" to warn the true enthusiasts.  Well......here it is.  OGD 114 was the last that I heard about but it didn't disappear because mines changed I guess.  I'm also assuming my beloved Henry McKenna BIB will probably ditch the age statement sometime soon and that's all I know or think I know folks.

This is an assumption I am guessing, I have not heard anything about changes to HM BIB

Im sorry, but the last thing we need here is a useless thread to promote unnecessary rumor-mongering.  There's enough of that stupid shit going on in every corner of Bourbonia, as it is.  

I merged this thread with one already about the matter at hand.

For some of you new folks, we have a really great search function here. Not trying to be a jerk here, but it would make life a little easier if we didn't have to merge or move so many threads and posts. This subject is covered here.....

Joe

Mky apologies for not using the search engine and did not think to enter "discontinued".  I live in Kentucky and work in Lexington and am new to this site but not new to bourbon.  I read the posts here, and maybe im spoiled and have had it good for too long, but I am going to start a new thread titled "I remember when" so experienced old-timers in Kentucky can reminisce about what their liqour store shelves used to look like and vent about some of our best bourbons being sold to foreign countries and newbies rapping the shelves for their bunkers.   Smokinjoe, i do understand your frustration and truly apologize regarding my ignorant attempt at fear-mongering.  Im just sooooo tired of working all day in the hospital, witnessing that 50% of the population is on some sort of welfare that im paying for and none of the bourbons i used to get as daily pours are one the shelf EVER!  People drive in from all over the country and buy everything, even that rock gut hh bib where I dont even think they remove the majority of the heads and tails.   I used to trip over Weller 12 1.75s and Pappy 15,20,and 23 were on the shelves for months!

3 minutes ago, BOURBONPOOR said:

Mky apologies for not using the search engine and did not think to enter "discontinued".  I live in Kentucky and work in Lexington and am new to this site but not new to bourbon.  I read the posts here, and maybe im spoiled and have had it good for too long, but I am going to start a new thread titled "I remember when" so experienced old-timers in Kentucky can reminisce about what their liqour store shelves used to look like and vent about some of our best bourbons being sold to foreign countries and newbies rapping the shelves for their bunkers.   Smokinjoe, i do understand your frustration and truly apologize regarding my ignorant attempt at fear-mongering.  Im just sooooo tired of working all day in the hospital, witnessing that 50% of the population is on some sort of welfare that im paying for and none of the bourbons i used to get as daily pours are one the shelf EVER!  People drive in from all over the country and buy everything, even that rock gut hh bib where I dont even think they remove the majority of the heads and tails.   I used to trip over Weller 12 1.75s and Pappy 15,20,and 23 were on the shelves for months!

My advice to you is to mourn properly for those halcyon days; but then move on; for they shall never return.    ...And wallowing in the past does nobody any good.    Just my humble opinion, of course.

Man, I have a serious deficit of coping skills, it's true.  Peace Brothers

4 hours ago, BOURBONPOOR said:

I truly mean no offense but I do find it interesting that you are worried about HM BIB losing it's age statement while at the same time you think HH BIB is rot gut. 

14 hours ago, BOURBONPOOR said:

Must be good times in Kentucky if only 50% of the population is on welfare. Here in Illinois it seems like 75% and we just got a nice 33% tax increase to make sure the benefits keep rolling. 

15 hours ago, BOURBONPOOR said:

My wife and son work in the industry too, and see a side of the US, most have no idea exists, much less realize its prolific. 

Chill out, read a few threads, and enjoy a bourbon.  IMO, regardless if bourbon is better or not, or cheaper or not - I simply enjoy it more now than ever, because I can afford the good stuff! 

And here we go!  ;)

My wife and I went to the Kentucky Bourbon Festival way back in 2007. (It's a long story which I won't get into 'cause a lot of folks here have heard it numerous times. -_- ) Anyway, something piqued my curiosity, so I decided to do some digging on the internet. I found a few bourbon related websites and joined up. In a very short time, I realized that StraightBourbon was heads and above the best bourbon website. It became my favorite, and so I decided to pitch my bourbon tent here. I have to admit that at first I was a bit overwhelmed. I thought this sh** should be pretty simple, and I had a hard time believing it could be so complex and hard to get a handle on. I may be a moderator here now, but believe you me, I made my fair share of faux pas along the way. Fortunately, I was a quick learner. After some gentle nudging, (cough cough) I eventually found my place. Fast forward to the present. I've been able to meet a lot of folks from here on the site at one time or another. Even though some of them may have bitch slapped me a time or two in the past, I've thoroughly enjoyed spending some time with them and many others over the years, and above all, having a laugh and a pour or two along way. And that is what this place is all about. :)

One of the most important things that I've learned here over the years is that about the only thing constant in the bourbon world is change. Sometimes for the better, and some times (or maybe most :mellow:) not so much so. Whether we like it or not, we just gotta roll with the punches. Again, that's another part of what StraightBourbon is all about. We can agree, disagree, speculate, commiserate, vent our frustrations, etc... etc... etc... but what it all boils down to is that we all (or at least hopefully most of us <_<) share a common love for bourbon. As one of our longtime and highly esteemed members once so eloquently put it, "If you aren't having fun, you ain't doing it right."  God bless Walter Cronkite too. "And that's the way it is."n;)

Cheers! Joe

I say, regardless of what happens or doesn't with specific bottles, if you can't find something you like out there, you aren't looking!

Not to be flippant, but as Joe said, things are always changing and all we can do is let the producers know how we feel. Maybe they'll listen, maybe they won't, but if you're interested in pursuing this hobby change is something you have to accept. My age-stated, paper-label Wellers ain't coming back anytime soon and I've come to accept that. It sucks, but there are many other great bottles out there. Better to have loved and lost, and all that.

• 3 weeks later...

While we all worry about loss of age statements on premium bottles, there is another problem, the appearance of age statements on bottom shelters. Benchmark and Ancient Age have gone fron NAS (4yr) to AS 36 months. Other bottom shelfers have switched to being blended bourbon, others have lowered to minimum proof levels and still others have added "natural flavors". The decline in quality has been across the board. Where quality has yet to decline we are faced with allocations. All the while the marketing machine chugs along as if everything is great. 

There was recently an add on FB for Knob Creek touting that no shortcuts were taken in the production, conveniently leaving out the fact that they took a literal shortcut buy dropping the age statement. 

The influx of craft distillers selling non-straight bourbon in fancy bottles for ungodly sums, adds another level on confusion in regards to what constitutes a quality product. 

Its never been harder to be a drunk! ;-)

Can you mention what brand(s) admit the addition of 'natural flavors'?     I'm unaware of any, and didn't think that was being done.

Also, about your statement about the 'marketing machine chugging along'....While I don't disagree with the sentiment; I'd ask the open question: 'What else can they be expected to do?'    The distilleries must continue to do business and stay as profitable as possible to remain in business.    While we as aficionados of their products like to think they do this "just for our enjoyment", we know the actual reason is rather more economics-based.     Mundane, I know; but true.

^^^^^All points are well taken... but, with the proliferation of barrel proofer's (as well as brands), I'd opine that it's never been easier to be a drunk! :lol:

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Can you mention what brand(s) admit the addition of 'natural flavors'?     I'm unaware of any, and didn't think that was being done.

Kentucky Tavern and Ten High. 

TEN High is a blend these days, but as far as I know, KT is still an NAS bourbon

6 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

TEN High is a blend these days, but as far as I know, KT is still an NAS bourbon

And even Ten High is a blend only in some of the states where it is available. OK, probably most states. But apparently in a few places it was still sold, at least until recently, as a straight bourbon (can't recall which states that was in). 

To me it is a mixed bag. Much that is good (and maybe even more of it in the near future as ramped up production begins to start hitting shelves in greater numbers) but certainly trends that are not as encouraging like much, but probably not all, of the "craft" distillers industry. To include getting a reasonable handle on what constitutes a "craft" spirit.

Not that most consumers seem to really care or notice. After all somebody is drinking the stuff!

11 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

And even Ten High is a blend only in some of the states where it is available. OK, probably most states. But apparently in a few places it was still sold, at least until recently, as a straight bourbon (can't recall which states that was in). 

I know of a couple of places here in Illinois that had some Ten High KSBW. Operative word here, had. I haven't been to either store in quite some time, so I can't say for sure. 

Cheers! joe

18 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know of a couple of places here in Illinois that had some Ten High KSBW. Operative word here, had. I haven't been to either store in quite some time, so I can't say for sure. 

Cheers! joe

Well, there you go. I figured somebody knew what the heck I was talking about!

It usually isn't me though... :D

3 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, there you go. I figured somebody knew what the heck I was talking about!

There was one store I'd try to stop at on my way to Chicago if and when I had the time. He had some of the Ten High KSBW, and also some dusty Ten High Ten Year Old. The Ten High Ten was actually pretty good. The last time I stopped there, I actually bought some of each, but I did so for a couple other members here. Like I said, it's been a while since I've been to that store. Odd thing about that place was, I'd stop there and he'd have some, then the next time he wouldn't. Next time he'd have some again, etc... I asked the owner about this and he said he kept finding stuff as he was trying to clean up and make his way through his basement store room. :huh: Go figure.

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.