What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Things were feeling off tonight so I decided to make it a scotch night, running through a Compass Box sampler and really enjoying a pour of Hedonism, there is a coconut note to it that reminds me of a bottle of Foursquare Port Finish Rum, which is odd since they have so little in common otherwise.

After dinner pour of Old Particular Glenturret 28 yr.  Juicy golden delicious apple and ripe pear notes dominate for two thirds of the experience, making it very drinkable and downright chuggable.  But, slow down big boy, the 28 years aging and the oakiness that has resulted along with the 99.4 cask strength ABV sizzle out at the end to bring order to the juice fest.  A very enjoyable ride.  Clean, juicy, thick, and with a big pop at the end.  A nice whiskey out on the patio to finish off the day, for sure.

7 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

After dinner pour of Old Particular Glenturret 28 yr.  Juicy golden delicious apple and ripe pear notes dominate for two thirds of the experience, making it very drinkable and downright chuggable.  But, slow down big boy, the 28 years aging and the oakiness that has resulted along with the 99.4 cask strength ABV sizzle out at the end to bring order to the juice fest.  A very enjoyable ride.  Clean, juicy, thick, and with a big pop at the end.  A nice whiskey out on the patio to finish off the day, for sure.

Sounds awesome. 

Just polished off this bottle.  I think it is outstanding for a NAS Scotch under $100.  I need to go buy a few more bottles before it is replaced by the Edition #3 this fall.
IMG_5513.thumb.jpg.8c9100836ca0b4627957637f3853c253.jpg

Worth it more than two bottles of the 12 year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Worth it more than two bottles of the 12 year?

Personally, I am not a huge fan of either of the 12 year Macallans (the sherry cask or the double cask).  Its definitely worth less than 50% the price of the Mac 18 (in my opinion).

Edited by NDN98

It's Saturday so a few more than usual. A couple pours of HP12 and Clynelish 14 before a dinner of Taco Salad [emoji108]

Craigellachie 21 Old Particular from K&L

Winding down the weekend with a couple of generous pours from an older bottle of Glenfarclas 12yr.  

Today I picked up a bottle of Cambus 25yo that was selected by K&L and bottled by Old Particular. I don't have much experience with grain whisky so I was very curious about this one and decided to open it up tonight. It's bottled at 124 proof and has some serious heat on the nose. Several minutes of air time and a little water does this one good. I'm hesitant to even post notes on this because each sip seemed a little different, but I'll give it a shot:

My nose picks up notes of pineapple cake and vanilla. The taste has some light tropical fruitiness, vanilla, almond shortbread, custard, and it ends on a sweet creamy note that reminds me of a really nice glass of milk or fresh (unroasted and unsalted) sweet almonds. This last note fades slowly and still remains, albeit lightly, even after a couple minutes.

Again, I don't have much experience with grain whisky, but this one is a winner in my book. If someone slipped this into a blind tasting, I would almost certainly guess that it was a teenage, cask-strength, column-distilled Caribbean rum...or perhaps an MGP light whiskey. I'm looking forward to spending more time with

On 6/17/2017 at 7:24 PM, Journeyman said:

Aberlour A'Bunadh, Batch #50

I have yet to meet an A'Bunadh batch that I didn't like.  In fact, I like almost everything I have had from Aberlour.

I've been working through some Campbeltown samples and tonight it's Springbank 12yr green.  It definitely fits the Springbank profile which I love....not picking up anything special though.  The standard 15yr is more complex for similar price.  On the other hand, I had the burgundy 12yr over the weekend and it was exceptional!

image.thumb.jpeg.784851a09fd6f68821a04b874119fe66.jpeg

Sitting here with 2oz pour of Bunnahabhain 18yr....man this is good stuff!  Rich dark chocolate, red fruits and mild spice.  It's so dark compared to the 12yr Bunny.  I'll definitely be getting a bottle of this when the budget allows.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f1138bca340f33d82d6a75bd766f5cb.jpeg

Friends were over for dinner last night. We started on the patio with a distillery bottle of Glendronach that I bottle last year and a dusty version of Big Peat on the patio with cigars. When we retired inside we switch to a trio of grain. Hedonism 15th, Hedonism Maximus, and a K&L 24 yr Girvan. Everything was great.

Relaxing on the front porch swing after the Mother of All Grilled Bone-in Pork Chops with a Glenmorangie Bacalta.  

image.jpg

Sipping on a lovely dram of Craigellachie 13 on this hot summer day.

On 6/25/2017 at 8:57 PM, smokinjoe said:

Relaxing on the front porch swing after the Mother of All Grilled Bone-in Pork Chops with a Glenmorangie Bacalta.  

image.jpg

I generally like most Glenmorangie products, but I still haven't tried this one yet.   I might have to pick up a bottle soon.

6 hours ago, NDN98 said:

I generally like most Glenmorangie products, but I still haven't tried this one yet.   I might have to pick up a bottle soon.

I am a big fan of the Bacalta.  This is one to try IMO, and likely one to pick up a couple of bottles.  Some nice fruit, chocolate and nutty notes.

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

I am a big fan of the Bacalta.  This is one to try IMO, and likely one to pick up a couple of bottles.  Some nice fruit, chocolate and nutty notes.

You get the chocolate, too?  Very nice dark chocolate note for sure.  

One of the really nice things I like about drinking with friends who have really good palates, is that they are so good in helping me discover flavor notes.  Last Friday BigRich pointed out the dark chocolate note while we were drinking during Friday afternoon Happy  Hour" which prompted the "AHA!" moment for me.  Made me enjoy the whiskey even more.

This bottle will be a repeat purchase when I run across it again.

Had a few goodies the last couple of days while the Mrs. and I are vacationing in Scotland:

Edradour 15yr Cask Strength, outstanding! lots of apples and pears

Tomatin 18yr, Very good, light flavors but thick and chewy

Talisker Port Ruighe, some smoke/peat with the port barrel finishing rounding things out nicely

Springbank 15yr, OK but nothing special

Lagavulin 1998 Distillers Edition, surprisingly "meh". Maybe I just had an off night for this one

Favorite so far? Toss up between the Edradour, Tomatin and Talisker. Each in their own profiles were excellent! Off to Talisker tomorrow for fun and games :) 

You get the chocolate, too?  Very nice dark chocolate note for sure.  

One of the really nice things I like about drinking with friends who have really good palates, is that they are so good in helping me discover flavor notes.  Last Friday BigRich pointed out the dark chocolate note while we were drinking during Friday afternoon Happy  Hour" which prompted the "AHA!" moment for me.  Made me enjoy the whiskey even more.

This bottle will be a repeat purchase when I run across it again.

Saw this on the shelf today for $99, and passed on it, but you guys have me salivating about it now. Maybe I'll have to try a bottle.

With the heat we have been having I want lots of cold beverages so I stuck a bottle of Nectar D'Or in the refrigerator.  It's a great after dinner drink.  ;)  

A dram of GKS single cask followed by some Bowmore Darkest tonight.

Tobermory 15. Someone once told me to open this and then ignore it for a year. Well I didn't ignore it, but it's been open since October, about 2/3 gone and hot damn it is tasting so good. I normally add a splash of water to my whisky but this does not need a single drop.  It is both very mellow but packed full of complex flavours and notes I wouldn't know where to start picking it apart. Or it might just be tasting good today, who knows. 

Cheers all!

tobermory.png

My wife ordered in sushi last night, so I busted out the Hibiki 12.  For whatever reason, I usually pair Japanese whisky with Japanese food.  Fortunately, I stocked up on a few bottles each of Hibiki 12 and Yamazaki 12 before they disappeared or shot up in price.  I do genuinely like those two (along with Taketsuru 12), and don't plan to dive too deeply into the NAS Japanese whiskys.

I've also been on a heavy Compass Box kick lately, pouring Oak Cross, Hedonism, Spice Tree and Great King Street.  All nice summertime blends on the rocks.  And Ancnoc 12, another easy-going summertime malt.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.