What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying the last few pours of this Benriach.

Probably the most bourbon influenced malt I've had. If I didn't know it was a single malt I'd assume it was a light bourbon. Terrific stuff.

Screenshot_20170824-213646.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:31 AM, garbanzobean said:

Amrut rye is really really good, and fairly unique.  Unfortunately the QPR is in the toilet at $175.  Glad to have bought this and split it with another local whisky nerd.  I think this is much better than the Zuidam Millstone rye, but would be hard pressed to justify another purchase.

Hmm, as a Millstone Rye fan that is intriguing. $175 is less so...

Hmm, as a Millstone Rye fan that is intriguing. $175 is less so...

I will only buy one if I'm right behind Bruce in line when he buys one. Maybe the same for smokinjoe....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if I lived closer to you fellers I'd certainly bring the bottle to a sampler.  I've had to cut back on my shipping of sample bottles of whiskey scented perfume (do not drink!) of late as shipping prices have been climbing to unreasonable levels.

5 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Well if I lived closer to you fellers I'd certainly bring the bottle to a sampler.  I've had to cut back on my shipping of sample bottles of whiskey scented perfume (do not drink!) of late as shipping prices have been climbing to unreasonable levels.

You can cram at least five 2 oz Boston rounds in a small USPS priority mail box for about $6.50. It has jumped about a dollar in the past year or two but that is always an option if you feel a desperate need to share...  :D

Ended my work week with a couple pours of Caol Ila 12 last night.  One of my absolute favorite Islay OBs.

Last pour out of my dear Edradour 15 Fairy flag. I think I am going to replace that with one of the 10 or 14yr cask strength releases.

I don't know if it needs its own topic or not, but has anyone tried the new Ardbeg An Oa?  It's their latest addition to the "standard" lineup.  I'm a big fan of the standard Ten and Uiggedail.  From what I've read this comes in taste-wise and dollars-wise somewhere in between those two.

After thinking about Ardbeg today and looking for An Oa (unsuccessfully) I came home and poured some Uigeadail tonight. It always amazes me that something that looks so light can have so much aroma and flavor.

Caol Ila 15yr unpeated special release 2015, and of course at cask strength. It's not all that rare or sought after, but still one of my most treasured bottles.

Was tasting a sample of Laphroaig Cairdeas Quarter Cask (which I really liked), and realized I hadn't poured from my 10yr CS in a long time.  Rectified that shortly after, and blissful immersed in some peat/iodine/sea-air heaven about now :) 

Had a glass of Macallan 12 from a bottle i bought and stashed in 2013/14, and subsequently forgot about. Was nice to find. Pre Edrington bottling, deep beautiful caramel color, great aroma and palate. Compared it to more recent iterations. There has absolutely been a slide in quality.  This is a pic of the older 12 before i opened it. 

20170902_165151.jpg

I've been in a Scotch mood the last few days. I finished off a bottle of Monkey Shoulder last night that began to grow on me as the level in the bottle went down over the past year. Tonight I'm enjoying another one of my fairly frugal favorites...Glenfiddich 15, which I can usually find for $60 or less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a few pours tonight at a friends house, some MaCallan travel release with an airplane on it that was pretty OK, Lagavulin 16 that I wasn't getting along with and then this gem that they brought back from Scotland. They aren't really into the peated stuff so this has basically become my bottle at their place which honestly makes me want to visit more!

IMG_20170902_203448393.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, Insanityabounds said:

This is a pic of a newer 50ML bottling. 

20170902_165252.jpg

Hard to compare different size bottles for appreciation of the color. Better off pouring them in glencairns or other matching glassware for comparison. Although it does seem likely the older 12 is darker. Of course if they use coloring it may be hard to really say what is real. And unless the bottle makes a specific point of saying it is free of coloring it is best to presume it is there!

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Hard to compare different size bottles for appreciation of the color. Better off pouring them in glencairns or other matching glassware for comparison. Although it does seem likely the older 12 is darker. Of course if they use coloring it may be hard to really say what is real. And unless the bottle makes a specific point of saying it is free of coloring it is best to presume it is there!

The packaging says its natural. As far as I know Macallan has never added color to thier products. Not with E150 anyway. Cheers!

6 hours ago, beasled said:

Just cracked this open. Yeah... I'm gonna need some backups. The nose on this is incredible. 

Screenshot_20170907-215527.png

I love me some Ledaig have not seen/heard about this one what is the ABV?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.