What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night was a Glenrothes 1985. I've been trying Glenrothes vintages off and on for 17 years and I just can't seem to get into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some very nice Glenrothes back in the mid 80s to the mid 90s, a few years before you were trying them. I thought they were an underrated malt back then, but haven't tried them since. Maybe their quality slipped?

Dalmore 18 yr. 104 proof Exclusive Malts. A truly delightful and different Dalmore, which to me has always been a perfectly quaffable and pleasant malt but nothing to get excited about. This one is different. Menthol in the nose, then peppermint and spearmint flavors dominate the attack and the palate, followed by the other usual Dalmore flavors for complexity and balance. Very nice overall and even memorable.

Edited by BourbonDude

On 8/6/2017 at 3:43 PM, Kane said:

My bottle's almost polished off, too, and overall I am really impressed. This was my intro to Edradour, thanks to Fedex recently starting to ship liquor from the UK. I am curious to try their well-aged cask strength bottlings next, everyone seems to rave about those online.

Edradour is a bit of a well kept secret. It's truly delightful stuff but still relatively unknown. It was that way almost forty years ago when I first started trying single malts and not much has changed it seems.

1 hour ago, BourbonDude said:

Edradour is a bit of a well kept secret. It's truly delightful stuff but still relatively unknown. It was that way almost forty years ago when I first started trying single malts and not much has changed it seems.

This is a bottle that I would consider heavily sherried, not A'bunadh level, but still.. Are other expressions also like this? From the pictures it appears that the Fairy Flag is considerably darker than anything else, which I automatically associate with sherry-bombiness.

BTW. whoever designed the label and tube art should be punched in the face.

I had some very nice Glenrothes back in the mid 80s to the mid 90s, a few years before you were trying them. I thought they were an underrated malt back then, but haven't tried them since. Maybe their quality slipped?

I don't think that it is a quality issue. It just doesn't do it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Kane said:

This is a bottle that I would consider heavily sherried, not A'bunadh level, but still.. Are other expressions also like this? From the pictures it appears that the Fairy Flag is considerably darker than anything else, which I automatically associate with sherry-bombiness.

BTW. whoever designed the label and tube art should be punched in the face.

The standard Edradour 10 yr. iis medium sherried but I haven't tried Fairy Flag. It could certainly be more intense if it's that much darker.

Bruichladdich The Laddie Ten, second limited edition. Never had the ordinary Laddie Ten, but this one's a particularly interesting bottle. It first tries very hard to be a grape-y cognac or white wine. It then develops into a proper malt whisky, but cannot really decide whether it is a sweet & creamy Speyside, or a briny Islay. A curious combination of flavors.

Managed to find a bottle of my favorite Japanese Whisky locally (first time I've seen it here). Lovely as always.

20840052_10104590938429550_1110420769_o.jpg

Single malt day here.  Started off with Glenfiddich 12.  First time having this in many years.  I found it to be very good.  That pear note is excellent even if a bit one dimensional.  Followed by pours of The Balvenie Doublewood 17 and Lagavulin 16.  Enjoyable evening while relaxing with a good cigar and friends.

Stopped by a friend's place to drop off a bottle of Mary Bowman Carmel Bourbon Cream I picked up this weekend, they had just gotten back from Scotland, handed me a 200ml Ballechin 10 yr to take home and made me sit down for a pour of the Cask Strength which was fantastic, had a quick pour of Blair Athol as well which I got some nice Honey notes off of but was lost on me after the peat bomb. Came home to unpack and went down a Rabbit hole of peated enjoyment (all really small pours) some 11 year old Bowmore, Bruichladdich Islay Barley, Amrut Fusion, Laphroaig 10 CS, and now Connemara CS, kinda surprised how much I'm enjoying the Connemara at this point though admittedly if I could only have one it would be the Laphroaig. Looking forward to spending more time with that Ballechin CS when I'm at their place.

Glenfarclas 105. One of my all time faves. Surprisingly smooth despite the 105 proof in the British proof system actually meaning 120 proof in the U.S. 

Introduced several guests at a dinner last night at a friend's place who usually drink the blends to it and they loved it. They also tried The Arran 14 yr., Glenmorangie 12 yr., and Jura 10 yr., which they liked too except the Jura was a bit too peaty for them. So decided not to give them the Port Charlotte and Ardbeg. But they may never go back to the blends. :-)

Edited by BourbonDude

On 8/11/2017 at 9:31 PM, Kane said:

Bruichladdich The Laddie Ten, second limited edition. Never had the ordinary Laddie Ten, but this one's a particularly interesting bottle. It first tries very hard to be a grape-y cognac or white wine. It then develops into a proper malt whisky, but cannot really decide whether it is a sweet & creamy Speyside, or a briny Islay. A curious combination of flavors.

Nice to hear Bruichladdich is doing more interesting things. When I first tried it decades ago it was just too boring compared to it's more famous Islay relatives. Not that it was a bad whisky, it just didn't seem like a proper Islay. (Of course, the same could be said of Bunnahabvain at 3 ppm of peat vs. 40 for Port Charlotte and 55 for Ardbeg 10 yr.).

Edited by BourbonDude

Enjoying an Ardbeg Kelpie & some warm nuts at my fav bar. Either all that ECBP killed my taste buds, or they don't make them peat bombs like they used to. This is very mild.

I broke my month long fast from alcohol with a glencairn of Amrut Rye and followed it up with one of Caol Ila 12.  Amrut rye is really really good, and fairly unique.  Unfortunately the QPR is in the toilet at $175.  Glad to have bought this and split it with another local whisky nerd.  I think this is much better than the Zuidam Millstone rye, but would be hard pressed to justify another purchase.

Caol Ila 12 is, as always, excellent.

Picked up a couple today.  The Springbank is an old favorite.  The Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben is an attempt to find some substitute for when I am not fortunate enough(most of the time) to have Balvenie Portwood 21 around.

IMG_6358.thumb.jpg.9ed35596cb3dd4dd4527770580072efa.jpg

Picked up a couple today.  The Springbank is an old favorite.  The Glenmorangie Quinta Ruben is an attempt to find some substitute for when I am not fortunate enough(most of the time) to have Balvenie Portwood 21 around.
IMG_6358.thumb.jpg.9ed35596cb3dd4dd4527770580072efa.jpg

I have not had Balvenie Portwood 21, but I really do like Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It's also one of the best value Scotch pours currently available.

Had a few pours at a friends place, GlenDronach Allardice 18 (really tasty), Auchentoshan Heartwood (OK), Ballechin 10 Sauternes Cask Strength (Really, really good) and now I'm home and I cracked the Deanston 10 PX Cask Strength (Sh sh sh sh sh sh sh sh Sherry Bomb) might have to pick up another one of these suckers.

Enjoyed some "port-finished" (homemade) Talisker 10 last night.  Working on the same experiment with some Talisker Storm that I hope turns out as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.