What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some more "new to me" whiskies today. Clynelish 14, Tomatin Cu Bocan, and Caol Ila 18yr

12 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Some more "new to me" whiskies today. Clynelish 14, Tomatin Cu Bocan, and Caol Ila 18yr

Clynelish 14 is excellent!

52 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Clynelish 14 is really good.  I've never had Tomatin Cu Bocan, but the Tomatin 18 you mentioned above offers major bang for the buck.  It's like $60 for an 18-year sherried scotch with quite a bit of flavor and character.  Well done by them.

I just picked up a bottle of Edradour 10 and am thoroughly enjoying the first pour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

For whatever reason, I usually pair Japanese whisky with Japanese food.

There's a very good reason to do it. Most whisky in Japan is consumed with food, so they're apparently made for the pairing

Had a nice healthy pour of Bowmore The Devil's Cask III tonight. Aged in first fill Oloroso and Pedrox Ximenez sherry casks, non-chill filtered and bottled at 56.7% ABV (you'd never know it). An incredible number of aromas and flavors in this one, as multi dimensional as they come. There's no age statement, but it's certainly among the darkest Scotches I've seen. A wonderful dram!

Yeah, I'm enjoying Scotland

27 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Yeah, I'm enjoying Scotland

"Atta boy Luther!" :D

Cheers! Joe

A Clynelish 14 followed by a Springbank 12CS to get the weekend rolling.

Started off the evening with a pour of the Cambus 28yo from K&L, which is really nice and fruity. Now I'm having the final pour from a K&L exclusive 9yo Dailuaine. The Dailuaine is good but I'm glad I didn't pick up a backup.

I opened a bottle of Balblair 1990 Second Release, Bottled in 2015, to celebrate moving into a new house.  Wow!  It's a clear step up from the younger sherried scotches I've had. 

Mrs. Vosgar and I made it to the Isle of Islay today and had a great time at Caol Ila (at least I did). They introduced a cask strength tasting/tour this year where I got to try:

17yr unpeated special release - 55.9% abv - didn't think I'd care too much for an unpeated Caol Ila but was completely wrong. Very, very good.

2012 refill bourbon hogshead - 60.9% abv, single barrel, never bottled for release - a little grain forward due to its young age, but still a nice pour. Most in our group liked it better than I did

2006 first fill bourbon hogshead - 61.9% abv, single barrel, never bottled for release - many different flavors in this one, sea salt being the most noticeable to me. Really nice.

1996 first fill sherry cask - 55.4 abv, single barrel, never bottled for release - too much sherry influence for my taste. Water helped it a lot

1988 first fill sherry cask - 56.5% abv, single barrel, never bottled for release - Good Lord, 29 yrs in a sherry cask was out of control in a bad way. Even the distillery person thought so. With water you could consider it a dessert whisky but that was about it

2017 12yr Feis Ile - 55.8% abv - this years Festival Release, double matured in American "cask" wood, finished for 6 months in Amorosso sherry casks for 6 months, 1500 bottles available, only at the distillery (supposedly). My favorite of the day by a slim margin over the 17yr unpeated.

We were told that to get first fill bourbon hogsheads they add additional wide staves to our barrels to get the size they want since ours are considerably smaller. Hmmmm............

It was a lot of fun, especially with their experimental casks, even though those proved to be my least favorites

12 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Mrs. Vosgar and I made it to the Isle of Islay today and had a great time at Caol Ila (at least I did). They introduced a cask strength tasting/tour this year where I got to try:

17yr unpeated special release - 55.9% abv - didn't think I'd care too much for an unpeated Caol Ila but was completely wrong. Very, very good.

Sounds like fun! Our tasting at Caol Ila was a lot of fun as well and one of the favorites of the trip (OK, there were a lot of favorites!). Did they offer you any Scottish made chocolates with it? Made a great pairing. Maybe that would be something to cut the sweetness of that heavily sherry matured whisky!

As for the unpeated I have been saying it was great for awhile now but I guess some people just have to try it for themselves... :D

9 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Sounds like fun! Our tasting at Caol Ila was a lot of fun as well and one of the favorites of the trip (OK, there were a lot of favorites!). Did they offer you any Scottish made chocolates with it? Made a great pairing. Maybe that would be something to cut the sweetness of that heavily sherry matured whisky!

As for the unpeated I have been saying it was great for awhile now but I guess some people just have to try it for themselves... :D

When we were done with our tasting, they gave us each 1 pc of a dark chocolate that had some orange flavoring to it, but nothing during the tasting.

Regarding the unpeated whisky, what can I say. Being half German sometimes means you have to drag me kicking and screaming to find out my bullheadedness is causing me to miss out on things

We did the Laphroaig Water to Whisky tour yesterday and had a great time. If you ever make it to Islay, I'd certainly recommend it. The weather was beautiful, which for Islay is amazing in itself, and we got to taste a few things:

10yr Cask Strength batch 009 - 58.1% abv

Brodir, 8yrs bourbon cask, 2yrs port finish

2017 Cairdeas

Select

Then we went into a warehouse and tried these (all were aged in bourbon barrels):

2006 Cask 667 - 59.8% abv

2003 Cask 1626 - 56.7% abv

2002 Cask 3793 - 56.75% abv

After tasting we got to bottle a 200ml from our favorite cask. I went with the 2003 and the 2002 for my wife (she hates the stuff, so actually my 2nd favorite) while most everyone else seemed to prefer the 2006. Instead of re-packaging them for my carry-on luggage, I gave both to the owner of the small hotel we were staying at. He's a great guy, a hardcore Islay whisky man who's a Laphroaig fanatic and will appreciate them more than I would.

To finish the day off properly, had a nice pour of the Lagavullin 2013 Jazz Festival Release. Bottled at 51.9%, it was outstanding.

Edited by Vosgar

Lag 16 last night at the hotel, always a good pour. Our Scotland vacation is over and we're heading back to reality today :(. We have a layover at Heathrow and I'm hoping the whisk(e)y selection is better than the last time we were here.

Mrs. Vosgar, evil financial genius that she is, wrangled 1st class tickets for us on British Airways for our trip. While sitting in their first class lounge at Heathrow I passed on WR, the only bourbon available, and instead I'm enjoying a healthy pour of JW Blue. I'm guessing 3-3.5 oz worth. On our flight over here the steward gave me half a juice glass of it. They pour this whiskey like its water, not a bad thing but kind of crazy.

Poured some DBH GKS while cooking dinner (and definitely need to head over to pick up another!)  Settling in with some Glendronach Parliament now.

Poured some DBH GKS while cooking dinner (and definitely need to head over to pick up another!)  Settling in with some Glendronach Parliament now.

Bringing the big flavor last night huh Gary? Nice! I had a couple of DBH GKS last night too while watching Marco Polo. My first bottle is getting pretty low.

1bd808f37289073dcbd98f0ca5e18799.jpg

Enjoying a few pours of the lovely Arran 12 CS

On 7/8/2017 at 8:12 AM, BigRich said:

Bringing the big flavor last night huh Gary? Nice! I had a couple of DBH GKS last night too while watching Marco Polo. My first bottle is getting pretty low.

It was then, and is now!  Following the PHC 13yr Wheat tonight, and it is holding up well!  Although my bottle has a long way to go before I could call it "low" :) 

Damned if this wasn't good one! Another single cask that I brought back from TWE on my recent trip. One of 104 bottles aged for approximately 8 years (which seems a long time for Kavalan) in an unspecified "Islay" cask. Subtle nose with a minimum of peat and more fruit. Rich mouthfeel that quickly integrates a lovely smoky character (not briny or iodine-y, but lovely sweet peat smoke) and a nice long lasting finish. Bottled at 104.8 proof and presumably had only about 18 gallons left from what I presume was originally a standard 53 gallon used bourbon barrel.  One to be savored!

5967e31a83cc1_KavalanPeatyCasksinglebarrelwhiskyexchange.jpg.925ab120b44ca3b39616a41f14a64347.jpg

Early birthday gift from my bride.  Wish you all had one like her.  This one is mine

.IMG_6086.jpg.3f057dca1bd380e889ea3e0134e52e9f.jpgIMG_6087.jpg.d1dc201f5f4d8cf1b2869304b46c7b8b.jpg

4 hours ago, Tennessee Dave said:

Early birthday gift from my bride.  Wish you all had one like her.  This one is mine

.IMG_6086.jpg.3f057dca1bd380e889ea3e0134e52e9f.jpgIMG_6087.jpg.d1dc201f5f4d8cf1b2869304b46c7b8b.jpg

Damn - I'll say!  Just to be clear . . . when you say "this one" . . . are you talking the bride or the Portwood? ;)  That right there's my favorite Balvenie hands down.  You done good sir (on both counts apparently!)

11 hours ago, GaryT said:

Damn - I'll say!  Just to be clear . . . when you say "this one" . . . are you talking the bride or the Portwood? ;)  That right there's my favorite Balvenie hands down.  You done good sir (on both counts apparently!)

Both.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.