What Dram are you enjoying today? Spring/Summer 2017

savagehenry42
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

I love me some Ledaig have not seen/heard about this one what is the ABV?

This is 58.2%. Surprisingly drinkable at that strength but with a few drops of water it sprung to life. Ridiculously good nose, lots of fruit and leathery notes with that briny peat thing it normally has going on. 

Unfortunately it's a distillery only bottling of 726 bottles and I think since long gone... managed to get a couple though. 

7 hours ago, beasled said:

This is 58.2%. Surprisingly drinkable at that strength but with a few drops of water it sprung to life. Ridiculously good nose, lots of fruit and leathery notes with that briny peat thing it normally has going on. 

Unfortunately it's a distillery only bottling of 726 bottles and I think since long gone... managed to get a couple though. 

Nice enjoy!

8 hours ago, beasled said:

Sounds delicious!  I picked up a young Ledaig aged in sherry that I really enjoy (my first bottle from them), but imagining what that distillate spending time in a port pipe is like . . . yeah, I'm jealous as hell!  Hopefully they'll have more like that (or some indie bottler will at least do some port finishes).  Thanks for sharing!

Pouring this older Hedonism, and really liking it.  Felt a bit stuffy earlier in the day, so I think it will probably get even better - but it has a really nice cream/viscous mouthfeel filled with honey, tapioca, some spice (nutmeg and pepper), and a finish that is still going.  

(UPDATE)

Couldn't help myself and decided to open up the 2012 and 2015 Flaming Hearts to do a blind sbs with two newly opened bottles.

IMG_20170908_192349.thumb.jpg.4ad386563ffcbb4f0d60fad11e75c327.jpg

Wow - incredibly similar.  Both are delicious with that mingle of smoke, peat, sweet, savory, everything!  I would call both of these a "must buy", but if I had to pick one over the other, I did find the 2012 to be a hair more to my liking tonight (it might be a touch sweeter on both the nose and the palate - or it could be that it was the first one I smelled/tasted).  

Edited by GaryT
Update (rather than new post)

23 hours ago, GaryT said:

Couldn't help myself and decided to open up the 2012 and 2015 Flaming Hearts to do a blind sbs with two newly opened bottles.

Wow - incredibly similar.  Both are delicious with that mingle of smoke, peat, sweet, savory, everything!  I would call both of these a "must buy", but if I had to pick one over the other, I did find the 2012 to be a hair more to my liking tonight (it might be a touch sweeter on both the nose and the palate - or it could be that it was the first one I smelled/tasted).  

You can credit (or blame) the addition of some sherry barrels in the 2012. It has not included sherry finished whisky before or since to my knowledge. It also used some Laphroaig in 2012 rather than the more typical Caol Ila in the other versions.

On 9/8/2017 at 4:33 PM, kevinbrink said:

Nice enjoy!

I certainly did, thanks!

On 9/8/2017 at 5:48 PM, GaryT said:

Sounds delicious!  I picked up a young Ledaig aged in sherry that I really enjoy (my first bottle from them), but imagining what that distillate spending time in a port pipe is like . . . yeah, I'm jealous as hell!  Hopefully they'll have more like that (or some indie bottler will at least do some port finishes).  Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! Peat + port seems to be a winner in my book. There's some new BenRiach single cask bottlings out in the next few weeks that have a couple of 'heavily peated' port cask offerings. Sounds too good to pass. https://www.benriachdistillery.co.uk/single-cask-releases/

It was an Islay head-to-head with a couple of fresh bottles. The Cairdeas took the first round, but I need to spend more time with each individually.

an_oa_cairdeas.thumb.jpg.80a1a7d1b77102dfef0a9b965971ba85.jpg

21 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It was an Islay head-to-head with a couple of fresh bottles. The Cairdeas took the first round, but I need to spend more time with each individually.

an_oa_cairdeas.thumb.jpg.80a1a7d1b77102dfef0a9b965971ba85.jpg

Haven't seen this years Cairdeas yet, wondering how it will compare to the standard Quarter Cask since it is already fairly high ABV.  I would expect less of a difference there than between the 10 and the 10CS.

Laphroaig CS and Stranahan's SBS. Yeah, not exactly comparable malts, but ~1oz was left in each bottle so why not?

I do like how unique Stranahan's is, but tasting them SBS, the craft & quality of Laphroaig is no less discernible than a kick in the balls :)

Change of pace tonight. Had a sample a while ago and rather enjoyed it. Like a peated Monkey Shoulder, so I expect there is some Glenfiddich, Balvenie and perhaps some Caol Ila in this..

20170912_213855.jpg

Bought this mongrel for under $40 on clearance on a whim in search of something different, didn't bother looking at any reviews. Looks like it gets pretty middling reviews, I myself quite like it especially at the price paid.

IMG_20170916_212353963.jpg

Bunnahabhain 12. I've had a lot of expressions, but first time trying the 12yo. This is amazing stuff, I found another daily drinker.

Ledaig 10-yr. 92.6 proof. Been many years since I'd had it. Quite impressive. Sort of like Highland Park on steroids (and I luv Highland Park) in the more intense peat plus a good deal of fruity sweetness.  Wonderful balance between the two. Maybe not as complex as the Highland Park but more intense overall.

I liked this informative comment from WhiskyDad in his review on the Master of Malt website:

"Appearance: Pale orange in colour uninhibited by coloured glass. No indication of E150 caramel colouring being added but the label makes no point of it not being added either. Non-chill filtered and bottled at the telltale 46.3% ABV. Whisky Trivia: The esters commonlyy removed through chill-filtration are soluble (therefore not visible) in solutions with an ABV of 46% or greater. It is a good indication that the whisky has not been chill-filtered if it is bottled at or above 46% ABV."

Edited by BourbonDude

On 9/18/2017 at 9:01 PM, BourbonDude said:

Ledaig 10-yr. 92.6 proof. Been many years since I'd had it. Quite impressive. Sort of like Highland Park on steroids (and I luv Highland Park) in the more intense peat plus a good deal of fruity sweetness.  Wonderful balance between the two. Maybe not as complex as the Highland Park but more intense overall.

I liked this informative comment from WhiskyDad in his review on the Master of Malt website:

"Appearance: Pale orange in colour uninhibited by coloured glass. No indication of E150 caramel colouring being added but the label makes no point of it not being added either. Non-chill filtered and bottled at the telltale 46.3% ABV. Whisky Trivia: The esters commonlyy removed through chill-filtration are soluble (therefore not visible) in solutions with an ABV of 46% or greater. It is a good indication that the whisky has not been chill-filtered if it is bottled at or above 46% ABV."

Love Ledaig 10!

Chewing on this beast today:

2017-09-21_2249.png

I'd like to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying the first pour from my first bottle of JW Gold 18yr, but I'm unimpressed. It's not bad, but it's not fantastic either. I'd give it a slight edge over JW Green, but I was expecting more for the price. I guess the old adage that the JW offerings above JW Green are overpriced and overrated rings true. I like this old JW Gold, but I've had many 12-15 year single malts that are much better and are substantially lower in price. On the positive side, I think my brother and son will like the old JW Gold 18yr, so I'm sure I'll share it with them over the next year or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some Glenlivet 15. Store had 50ml bottles for $1.99 so was worth a shot. Can't say I'm loving it. Its got a litte more going on than the standard 12 but still tastes very grainy and hay-like. Haven't tried the Founders Reserve yet. Is it the new NAS replacement for the 12?

20170921_222142-1008x756.jpg

11 hours ago, beasled said:

Love Ledaig 10!

Chewing on this beast today:

2017-09-21_2249.png

I'm with you on the Ledaig!

Just bought my second bottle of the last several months of the 105 when it went on sale at a local LS. Truly the most intense, over the top Highland I've had and a magnificent dram.

Edited by BourbonDude

Lagavulin Distillers Edition. Very interesting and not your typical Lag. Less intense on the peat than the standard 16 yr. but the Pedro Ximenez (sweetest of all sherry types) sherry cask aging adds some very pleasant and interesting notes.

Normally I'm not a fan of wine barrel type finishing or aging of bourbon or scotch but this one seems to work. 

Edited by BourbonDude

On 8/26/2017 at 9:43 AM, garbanzobean said:

Ended my work week with a couple pours of Caol Ila 12 last night.  One of my absolute favorite Islay OBs.

Right on! For myself I prefer the 10 yr., but they're both wonderful. The 12 yr. is certainly smoother and more elegant but I just prefer the power and intensity of the 10.

After all, it IS Caol Isla--the most weirdly wonderful of all the Islays. LOL.

Edited by BourbonDude

1 hour ago, BourbonDude said:

Just bought my second bottle of the last several months of the 105 when it went on sale at a local LS. Truly the most intense, over the top Highland I've had and a magnificent dram.

The 105 is quite something. Over the top indeed!

9 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Mass opening tonight

Any winners in the bunch, Jim? Heard the Mac was pretty good. Tons of Edition #2 up by me. 

45 minutes ago, Auracom said:

Any winners in the bunch, Jim? Heard the Mac was pretty good. Tons of Edition #2 up by me. 

HP18 was the winner for me - it's hard to beat.  Mac second, Devils Cask third because it drank super hot/spicy, last was the dusty HP12 due to its bitter finish, which I dislike.  Balvenie Peat Week was more enjoyable than 2-4 and on par with HP18.  

I'll sbs edition 1 & 2 tonight.  

Edited by jvd99

5 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

Same here, I had a pour as my last of the night yesterday after reading the posts you guys made, my local supermarket has it on sale for $40 might have to bunker a couple.

Edited by kevinbrink
Ledaig that is, if only G105 was onsale for $40!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.