What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

33 minutes ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

Just realized my error when saw this in rye thread, sorry.  I was referring to the bourbon.

so, I have considered buying the rye here at 79.99 plus tax but haven't yet.

What are your thoughts on this?

Great rye, one of my favorites. I lucked out and found a bottle at $65 but I’d have no problem buying it at $80 or under. Honestly even at $90-100 I’d probably pull the trigger once a year.

• I like it 1

On November 21, 2017 at 7:54 PM, Guss West said:

Wait.  How does one get Harlan involved in hand selecting a private selection barrel?

Why, that's practically cheating!  

As a scientist, I really do enjoy his style.  Love to hear him talk about bourbon.   

It was actually a pick done by Harlan for BT. Myself, another member here and a few others were lucky enough to get a bottle.

Sláinte! Joe

• I like it 1

On November 21, 2017 at 5:27 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

If things work out, I'll be picking up a bottle or two of a ps Weller SR:) If I'm able to get any, I plan on opening one, and a ps OWA that I have. My plans are to taste those two alongside a ps BT, and a ps ER10 that I already have open. A four way BT ps taste off!  :D As of yet, my wonderful wife doesn't have any plans for us this weekend. Hopefully that will remain the case. :mellow:

Cheers! Joe

Well, I was actually able to get an early start on this. Long story, and not this morning BTW. :lol:  

Things pretty much turned out as I expected. The ER 10 was heads and above the best. A distant second was the BT. The OWA and Weller SR finished slightly behind the BT in a virtual tie for third. FWIW, they're all good regardless of how I ranked them.

Pic #1. BT ps's.

BT, 8 years 7 months old

Weller SR, 6 years 8 months old

OWA, 7 years 4 months old

ER 10,  Not sure on the age. Harlan wouldn't tell me. ;) :lol:  I'm pretty sure it's over 10 years old.

In addition......... I've done some vattings, decanted a handle, shared some samples, and finished a few low fill bottles recently. My open shelf was starting to get a little bare. You members that have been around a while know that in the past I've sometimes had themes for bottles on my open shelf. All wheaters and all BIB's were two of my more frequent ones. This time around, it's BT^_^ I plan on opening a few more BT bottlings in the near future. An SB HHSS Barrel #2 will be the only non BT bottle on my open shelf. 

Pic #2.  Other BT.

AA BIB

ETL

Stagg Jr Batch #3

In the background are already open bottles of Weller 12, 07 WLW and RHF's. I'm looking forward to a BT winter. :D

Sláinte! Joe

ps.jpeg

bt.jpeg

• I like it 3

Well I didn't have any on Thursday but finally got around to some Turkey tonight and opened up a Rare Breed and a Kentucky Spirit.  Liked them both but thought the Kentucky Spirit was better by a good margin.

12 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Well I didn't have any on Thursday but finally got around to some Turkey tonight and opened up a Rare Breed and a Kentucky Spirit.  Liked them both but thought the Kentucky Spirit was better by a good margin.

Probably one of the more underrated bottles, up there with Baker's in that both seem to get lost in the lineups of their distilleries. I myself a big WT fan boy do not currently have a bottle.

Popped the cork on my first ever 4R PS yesterday before heading out to a wedding. My 10 yr 5 month OESV was delicious! 

IMG_1424.thumb.JPG.9760d6df01cf39b0ed3998877f13bdd8.JPG

It was so good, I went out after the wedding and bought (3) more to bunker.

Cheers!

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Popped the cork on my first ever 4R PS yesterday before heading out to a wedding. My 10 yr 5 month OESV was delicious! 

It was so good, I went out after the wedding and bought (3) more to bunker.

Cheers!

The Four Roses Private Selections can be great.  The only problem is now you'll be looking for it's 9 siblings.

4 hours ago, Masset1982 said:

That's the spirit, way to go! Enjoy! 

Will.

Spirit... Pun intended? 

Cheers!

24 minutes ago, Bourbon Fanatic said:

Spirit... Pun intended? 

Cheers!

Not on purpose ;-)

Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 1

Have been in a BT mode recently. Tonight I opened an ER10 that I bought a few years ago. Have missed it.

One of my favorite daily sippers. That is until I run out of what I have stashed. Sad I cannot buy these any longer

IMG_0275.thumb.JPG.32222b80d92e8b636161fca68723175a.JPG

• I like it 1

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:38 AM, Masset1982 said:

What's your impressions on this one ? Horribly overpriced here, like all the EH Taylor line. Bought one last year at €110 (i know, it's way too much), i've really enjoyed it. Enjoy! 

I really liked it.  Only had the one drinking session with it that night, so I need to try it some more to really draw conclusions. Right now I would put it near the same level as my previous favorite mid-priced rye, the Michter's Barrel Proof version.   I pay a few bucks more for the Michter's and it's a limited release so it's harder to find.

I look forward to more research for sure!  B)

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

Opening some barrel proof bottles to get some air into them ahead of a holiday bourbon tasting we are planning. 

ECBP

Stagg Jr.

SAOS SB

WTRB 116.8

• I like it 1

WTRB WT-01-99. Travel size. 

I have been saving this one for a while. 

This is my first experience with this batch. I sure wish that I had more. Oh well, I will enjoy it while it lasts

Cheers

IMG_1997.JPG

• I like it 1

3-way FR tasting tonight. My very first picks.

OESF, 115.2 proof, 11yr 2m old

OESO, 116.4 proof, 10yr 9m old

OESQ, 113.6 proof,  9yr 6m old

I finished a couple of PS KCSB's over the weekend.  But don't feel sorry for me, 'cause I opened two more up tonight!  :o

Although I've never had a barrel any worse than good, one of these newly cracked bottles appears to be reaching toward superstar status and will require additional research!  :D

• I like it 1

38 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I haven't visited this one in quite a while.

20171205_202505-1209x1612.jpg

Just opened one of those on thanksgiving.  So freaking good.

• I like it 1

Blanton's Gold - another WOOF!  Smooth beyond its 103pf, delicious and more ummph than regular Blanton's.  Delicious caramel and chocolate notes with a warmth that goes on and on and on . . . . .  Me Likee Big Time!   :D

Blanton's Gold opening.jpg

and yes, that's a cut crystal Blanton's Glencairn!  Call me a Philistine, I don't care . . . .  :P

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.