What Bottle Did You Open Today? (Summer 2017)

OldFitzWithTheGoldLabel
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Patrick_OKC said:

Okay, no spitballs please, but for a change of pace I opened a bottle of Crown Royal Special Reserve that I bought a few years ago. It is really gently flavorful. Highly recommended. 

I ALMOST bought a CR Salted Caramel. In the end I just couldn't do it. It might be something fun for Thanksgiving though.

37 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I ALMOST bought a CR Salted Caramel. In the end I just couldn't do it. It might be something fun for Thanksgiving though.

Well, I cannot bring myself to buy any flavored products, but the CR special reserve and the 103 proof are pretty good. I would suggest EW  egg nog  for Thanksgiving!

Edited by Patrick_OKC

4R PS OESV.  Just picked up this bottle.  Doing a test to see if I want to go back for more.   Leaning towards another pickup.

Cheers

Got around to cracking my Early Times BIB.  Enjoyed a few pours from my Dad's during KBF weekend so had no rush to open this one.  Damn nice pour for the money!

43 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Got around to cracking my Early Times BIB.  Enjoyed a few pours from my Dad's during KBF weekend so had no rush to open this one.  Damn nice pour for the money!

It really is, Country.  I ripped through my bottle that I picked up at KBF.  

It really is, Country.  I ripped through my bottle that I picked up at KBF.  

Seems like a solid pour, hopefully they expand distribution.

On 10/22/2017 at 6:10 PM, 0895 said:

Little private wine shop that a fellow SB'er told me about.

Wasn't really looking for WTRB, but it was on sale for $20 for the 375ml, so I figured what the heck.

I must confess to not being a huge WTRB fan, but I've started to graduate into appreciating Turkey products more and more this year (especially Russels and 101 rye).

This is different enough that I enjoy it periodically, but it wouldn't be a bunker up bottle for me.

I was in the local Virginia ABC yesterday and they had WTRB 375's for $15 ea, so I snagged 2.  They also had the 750, on sale for $45.   WTF?  (no, not a new Wild Turkey offering, rather an epithet).  The 375's were NOT on sale.  Go figure.

I mentioned this to the guy behind the counter and he just shrugged and pointed out a vodka that was $1 cheaper for the 1.75L vs the 1.0 liter.  He said some customers would refuse the larger bottle because they didn't want so much in the house.  It takes all kinds I guess.

A couple of days ago I dropped by a ls to grab another 750 or two of a ps BT they did a while back. I finished the last one I had, and I wanted to get more before they were all gone. I almost waited too long. They only had a few left. However, the manager pointed out that they also still had a few 1.75's, and they were on sale. Hmmmmm.  Should I get a ps BT 750 for $26.99, or a ps BT 1.75 for $39.99?  It didn't take me too long to decide. ^_^

I kept the 750 of theirs that I finished, and I just so happened to have another empty BT 750. I opened my family sized BT this evening, and got down to business. My handle has now been decanted into two 750's, and I'm having a healthy pour from some of what remained. :D

Cheers! Joe

bt.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A couple of days ago I dropped by a ls to grab another 750 or two of a ps BT they did a while back. I finished the last one I had, and I wanted to get more before they were all gone. I almost waited too long. They only had a few left. However, the manager pointed out that they also still had a few 1.75's, and they were on sale. Hmmmmm.  Should I get a ps BT 750 for $26.99, or a ps BT 1.75 for $39.99?  It didn't take me too long to decide. ^_^

I kept the 750 of theirs that I finished, and I just so happened to have another empty BT 750. I opened my family sized BT this evening, and got down to business. My handle has now been decanted into two 750's, and I'm having a healthy pour from some of what remained. :D

Cheers! Joe

bt.jpeg

TWINS!!!!  It's always adorable when the family size begets offspring.  But, identical twins is really special!!!   :lol:

• I like it 1

Just opened a KCSB Binny's store pick and I'm enjoying it very much right now! It's been quite a while since I've had a pour of this stuff, I forgot how complex it is.

IMG_1413.thumb.JPG.1296aac6574335cc2196ded0ed879112.JPG

Cheers!

• I like it 2

This is a great whiskey, I know they didnt have many of these left so I might need to grab another ASAP. I've not delved ito the world of 4 roses very much beyond the standard single barrel, which I find pretty meh. This one is leaving an impact.

4r.jpg

• I like it 3

On 11/10/2017 at 12:17 AM, Clueby said:

The only salted caramel I've ever enjoyed is pints of ice cream.  Several of them.  You telling me there's a BOURBON that tastes like salted caramel?  My internist will love you in the short term, but I'll be dead from over-indulgence within a year.:rolleyes:

That doe NOT mean I'll skip this.  It only means I go in with eyes wide open.:D

• I like it 1

Opening the HWMWND Act 5, Scene 2 right now - $74.99 OTD in Rhode Island!  B)

20 hours ago, jshleffar said:

This is a great whiskey, I know they didnt have many of these left so I might need to grab another ASAP. I've not delved ito the world of 4 roses very much beyond the standard single barrel, which I find pretty meh. This one is leaving an impact.

4r.jpg

I know the feeling. I had the single barrel after reading some good reviews and thought it wasn't very good. I had the Small Batch, which I thought was okay as a mixer but not something I would really enjoy on my own.

Then I got a bottle of OBSK, and now an OESF, both of which I would rate in the 90-95/100 range. I had a glass of the Small Batch LE 2015 at a bar too, that was also exceptional.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Opening the HWMWND Act 5, Scene 2 right now - $74.99 OTD in Rhode Island!  B)

Tell us what you think.  Mine was about $78 plus tax.  Haven't opened it, yet.

21 hours ago, jshleffar said:

4r.jpg

Nice age on that.  Seek out more four roses barrels of you like that one. Comparing same yeast to different mash bills is fun ( OBSF vs OESF). 

3 hours ago, Stump1998 said:

Going to need a back up of this one, very good Kentucky Spirit pick...

98A2E7EE-04D4-4BB4-9B6B-B2075BBFEF12.jpeg

Consistently strong whiskey. There is a new barrel in Columbia that I need to check out. 

• I like it 1

Even though I've got more open bottles than I probably should, couldn't resist opening the Blanton's Gold that showed up yesterday. This is dangerously good...........

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Tell us what you think.  Mine was about $78 plus tax.  Haven't opened it, yet.

Thought is was great - light port-ish nose filled the room on opening.  Typical HW Rendezvous rye on the palate (smooth, refined and supple spice), but finished with a warm port note warming the cockles of the heart all the way down.  Great legs on the side of the glass leading to a full mouthfeel, too.  Had to stop at just one last night since we're working the last day of a swim meet today.  Really looking forward to getting home tonite and having a lovely dram of this in our newly renovated kitchen with SWMBO.  Fortunately, she'll be sipping on the last of our 1970 Fonseca vintage port - more HWMND for ME!!!!   :lol:

My roommate was stunned and his only words were "Oh Yeah!"   :lol:

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 1

Cracked open Joseph Magnus, batch 4, 100 proof. It's quite good, with a strong sherry influence. Looking forward to trying this again as the bottle opens up.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

Opened a single barrel select of OWA from The Wine and Cheese Place tonight. This is a REALLY good pick!

20171119_200357-1209x1612.jpg

Show off! :P  I actually believe those are just like the shot glasses my grandparents had in the '60s.  The only difference is my grandfather probably enjoyed a pour of Cutty Sark instead of bourbon.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.