What Bourbons Have Been The Biggest Disappointment To You?

NDN98
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

This may seem blasphemous; but, the biggest disappointment for me was my first Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 23-year old.

And in contrast, I *can* enjoy the cheapest KSB.  Its all about expectations isn't it?

As revealed already, taste is subjective and individual.  I'll share a general trend that many of the newcomers with sketchy pedigrees tend to disappoint me, because they are overpriced.

Edited by musekatcher

For me it was the Henry McKenna 10 Single Barrel.  It was worth trying for the price, but just not one for my taste buds.  Foe the same price I can have a bottle of Eagle Rare.

OKI 10 year. I'm fairly new to testing the varieties available and Stagg Jr is my go-to favorite.  The guy at my liquor store said if I liked Stagg Jr, I would love OKI and he couldn't keep it on the shelves.  So, I bought 2 bottles. Not into it.

Seemed like there was too much going on to enjoy it, for me.  

Hope I grow into it, because I have a bottle and half left...

Interesting that some listed here are some of my favorites like Henry McKenna 10yr BIB. I hated Coopers Craft, Ezra Brooks and didn't really care for Hancock's Presidential Reserve.

7 hours ago, DCFan said:

Enlighten me then.

Well, Rebel Yell is an NDP and thus didn't distill the RY10, or the other RY products you referred to. There is a very broad assumption that most (or all?) of their juice comes from Heaven Hill. There is a pretty strong assumption that the RY10 is from the Old Fitzgerald/Larceny mashbill, but the cheaper products come from multiple mashbills, I believe

My least favorite of all time is Very Old Baron BIB. A lot of people love it but it has what I find to be a terrible finish.

Really not a fan of Stagg Jr.

I have to second garbanzobean and houstonnit.............anything EC or VOB, no thanks....and I AM a HH fan

1 hour ago, BottledInBond said:

Well, Rebel Yell is an NDP and thus didn't distill the RY10, or the other RY products you referred to. There is a very broad assumption that most (or all?) of their juice comes from Heaven Hill. There is a pretty strong assumption that the RY10 is from the Old Fitzgerald/Larceny mashbill, but the cheaper products come from multiple mashbills, I believe

Correct.     :D

(I'm being serious here......while having a little fun. Don't hate me!)

I have to second garbanzobean and houstonnit.............anything EC or VOB, no thanks....and I AM a HH fan

Not a fan of Barton's but love Elijah Craig. Trying to think of a HH bourbon I don't like.

52 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Not a fan of Barton's but love Elijah Craig. Trying to think of a HH bourbon I don't like.

The only HH I've had so far that I don't like is Larceny. I really like OFitzBiB though which is weird because they are rumored to be essentially the same...but they taste nothing alike to me. 

...Of the more commonly found straight bourbons, I just don't find OGD 114 or WSR in my wheelhouse...

As Clueby already suggested, try blending these two together for a better bourbon than they are separately. I don't dislike either of them, but I'm not a fan boy either. However, the Grandpa Weller's Four Grain Blend has become one of my regular pours.

In regards to disappointments, I'd have to say my most recent disappointments have been Cooper's Craft, which has been mentioned before, and Michter's Small Batch US*1. Cooper's Craft is at least inexpensive, but it's nothing special compared to others at the same price. The Michter's isn't horrible, but not worth the price it sells for in my area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ORVW25 was a disappointment at the "Unicorns" tasting yesterday.  Maybe it was my palate fatigue after six (6) other fine bourbons or maybe it was my high expectations for such an old bourbon with an expensive price tag and fine pedigree?  It tasted old and astringent with very heavy oak up front on the nose and an odd coriander taste on the palate.  Short to medium finish (much like an old First Growth Bordeaux that had past its prime) with a wisp of caramel that was gone in an instant.  I still have a sealed 1/2 oz. sample bottle that I will try on its own in a week or so and reserve final judgement 'til then.  But I was very honored and happy to just get to try it, knowing I could never afford to find (let alone buy) a buy a bottle of ORVW25 on my own.  JMHO, of course, and YMMV.  :D

20170709_151419.jpg

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling and composition corrections.

21 hours ago, El Vino said:

1792 Sweet Wheat current release. Meh at best, just mild and sweet - no character. I had high hopes...  I have a bottle of Pikesville rye open that confuses me. Blind: I'd peg it for a mid-shelf bourbon.  The rye flavor profile that I look for is absent. Disappointed for sure - decent enough whiskey but just was hoping for something closer to my expectations.

Agree on 1792 SW. 

I'd add Smooth Ambler Wheated to the list, but to be honest the reviews were poor and as such i wasn't disappointed when I tried it. 

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

ORVW25 was a disappointment at the "Unicorns" tasting yesterday.  Maybe it was my palate fatigue after six (6) other fine bourbons or maybe it was my high expectations for such an old bourbon with an expensive price tag and fine pedigree? 

How did you resist, trying it first?  Not an option?

VWFR Lot B to me not worth whatever it would cost retail, never mind the price stores around here gouge for it. 

3 hours ago, musekatcher said:

How did you resist, trying it first?  Not an option?

Nope, unfortunately not.   Might have fared better, tho' - I was not in a minority in my opinion, either.  :(

Two bourbons immediately come to mind for me.

I found "regular" Pappy 23 to be a disappointment. My remembrances of the taste of several Pappy 23's I tried are very similar to Gee's comments about the Old Rip/Pappy25. The flavor was heavy on what I call oak and smoke, and it was fairly dry and tannic. While there were hints of good flavors, (caramel and pecan), they never fully materialized. I kept waiting to be wowed, but in the end all I could think was "Is that all there is?" :huh: I guess that in one way, I got kinda lucky. Through the graciousness of a few members here, I was able to try Pappy 23 on numerous occasions very early on in my bourbon journey. The proof is in the pudding as they say, so I never plunked down the money to buy any Pappy 23, even when it was at a somewhat more reasonable price. :unsure: 

The other bourbon that didn't quite trip my trigger was Booker's. I bought a couple of bottles a long time ago when I first got into bourbon, and I really did't care much for it. Through the years as my palate progressed, I started developing a liking for BIB's and barrels proofers. I thought that my tastes might have changed, so I decided to give Booker's another try. Last December, I bought a bottle of "Dot's Batch". Nope. To be honest, I was really hoping that I would like it better this time around 'cause one of my local stores had a shelf full for $43.99. ;) Sad, but still a no go for me. What can I say? :wacko:

Cheers! Joe

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The other bourbon that didn't quite trip my trigger was Booker's. I bought a couple of bottles a long time ago when I first got into bourbon, and I really did't care much for it. Through the years as my palate progressed, I started developing a liking for BIB's and barrels proofers. I thought that my tastes might have changed, so I decided to give Booker's another try. Last December, I bought a bottle of "Dot's Batch". Nope. To be honest, I was really hoping that I would like it better this time around 'cause one of my local stores had a shelf full for $43.99. ;) Sad, but still a no go for me. What can I say? :wacko:

Cheers! Joe

Always preferred Baker's myself!

9 minutes ago, beasled said:

I have no problem with Baker's at all B, or for that matter KC;) As a matter of fact, me and my friends in our local bourbon and cigar group are partly/mostly responsible for the dwindling stocks of both at the bar we have our get togethers at. :P

Cheers! Joe

22 minutes ago, beasled said:

Me three!  :P

Baker's is so underrated and under-appreciated, IMO.  To my tastes, it is Beam whiskey at it's best.  It's right in their sweet spots in age, proof, and barrel selection.

I think Elijah Craig 23 has probably been the biggest disappointment for me, ever.

Just wet grass, dirt, and old/musty wood tasting.

2015 & 2016  PVW15 were huge let downs for me as well (the only yrs. I've tried).  Good, but not even close to the hype it receives.  I much prefer WLW or  ORVW 10.

I was disappointed with Booker's as well. It's... just okay, not really great on its own but holds up well in cocktails. In the high proof Beam world I've got a store pick 12 year KCSB that I like quite a bit more.

You know something is a disappointment when you start doing math in your head; to figure out what you could've bought.

I picked up Old Bardstown 90 and 101 versions in Louisville several years ago.  This was before it was available in Indiana.  Anyway, it reminded me of original Listerine mouthwash.

I got caught up in the LE craze too.  A local store had the 4 Roses 2013 SB LE @ retail ($69.99).  To me it was like a much drier version of OGD 114.  Some people would probably like it; not really in my wheelhouse.

ok,  so i was looking for something to buy and put in my cabinet to have a sip of once in awhile.  Starting reading review etc on different bourbons..read a review on Elijah Craig12, the review went on about hints of vanilla, swirls of carmel yaydyada.  So i rusged and purchaesd a bottle, got it home..cracked it open..and it smelled like medicine..but it was new to me.  So i poured a taste..couldnt get it past my mouth.   So disappointed, I gifted the remainder to a friend.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.