What Bourbons Have Been The Biggest Disappointment To You?

NDN98
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 7/9/2017 at 7:09 AM, garbanzobean said:

Elijah Craig 12, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof, and Elijah Craig Small Batch.  All good whiskies.  All distinctly not a flavor profile I enjoy.  Wanted to like them so bad, but I just couldn't get there.  

I am with Garbanzobean on this one.  I picked up a store pick ECNAS, and then a ECBP B517.  I know many folks here like the EC profile, but neither of these have been close to what I enjoy. 

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I found "regular" Pappy 23 to be a disappointment. My remembrances of the taste of several Pappy 23's I tried are very similar to Gee's comments about the Old Rip/Pappy25.

Hey Joe, does this mean that I'm not a "Novice" anymore or do I have to work my liver harder to get a little "bourbon cred"?  J/K.  :rolleyes:

11 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Me three!  :P

10 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Baker's is so underrated and under-appreciated, IMO.  To my tastes, it is Beam whiskey at it's best.  It's right in their sweet spots in age, proof, and barrel selection.

I see I'm in good company. 

Agree with all your points Joe, it is underrated which has me worried it will be next to be culled.. 

Well i have a few, OGD 114 was a big let down, High West Bourye that i've tasted yesterday. Let's see, Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. 

6 hours ago, kwshannon said:

I am with Garbanzobean on this one.  I picked up a store pick ECNAS, and then a ECBP B517.  I know many folks here like the EC profile, but neither of these have been close to what I enjoy. 

On the bright side, BT created Stagg Jr. in response to the barrel proofers I don't enjoy, like ECBP and Booker's.  I love Stagg Jr., and it is almost always available in my area.  So even in disappointment there is eventual bourbon zen.

Well i have a few, OGD 114 was a big let down, High West Bourye that i've tasted yesterday. Let's see, Noah's Mill and Rowan's Creek. 

I've tried to block Rowan's Creek out my memory but yeah not too good. I didn't like OGD114 but want to give it another shot since I like OGD BIB.

It is interesting to see the responses from all of you.  I know everyone's tastes is different, so I really wasn't all that surprised.  I have 2 other buddies that are bourbon enthusiasts as well and we generally like a lot of the same bourbons, but there are few that I like that they don't and vice versa.  I knew that the OF 1920 is a crowd favorite and highly regarded by the "experts", but I just didn't find much I liked about it.  Don't get me wrong, it was drinkable, but not something I would be willing to shell out $55 for again.

13 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Joe, does this mean that I'm not a "Novice" anymore or do I have to work my liver harder to get a little "bourbon cred"?  J/K.  :rolleyes:

You're doin' just fine brother. :D

Cheers! Joe

For me, it was a 1792 Full Proof. Was looking for a bottle for awhile and finally came across one. Had a very synthetic taste that was very off putting. Replaced it with a store pick 1792 Full Proof which was what I was hoping for the first time around.

17 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I've tried to block Rowan's Creek out my memory but yeah not too good. I didn't like OGD114 but want to give it another shot since I like OGD BIB.

I've never the OGD BiB, but the 114 is not for me, having a kind of blended scotch taste, maybe, it's a bad bottle. 

Love Old Granddad BIB and couldn't wait to try OG114. Found out it was "being discontinued" so I grabbed two bottles when a saw it. Thankfully I like the bottle design because I will have a full one on display for the rest of my life. Don't know if I will ever finish the open one I have. WSR is a close second. I just can't believe people buy it bythe case and empty shelves of it when it appears. Especially now that it's $25 here.  Noah's Mill used to be my biggest disappointment but my bottle has a loose cork and it's been getting stale for about 5 months so I find I can drink it on occasion as that somehow improved it. 

2 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Love Old Granddad BIB and couldn't wait to try OG114. Found out it was "being discontinued" so I grabbed two bottles when a saw it. Thankfully I like the bottle design because I will have a full one on display for the rest of my life. Don't know if I will ever finish the open one I have. WSR is a close second. I just can't believe people buy it bythe case and empty shelves of it when it appears. Especially now that it's $25 here.  Noah's Mill used to be my biggest disappointment but my bottle has a loose cork and it's been getting stale for about 5 months so I find I can drink it on occasion as that somehow improved it. 

Pretty much the same story here, bought 2 bottles, opened one, still got it, gave away the second. 

Ok, I thought of two more (both for different reasons).

I used to love Old Forester Signature.  Some time after the label changed, it started tasting not good to me.  A helpful SB member directed me to a store with some old inventory.  I'm convinced it's not my imagination.  The older stuff was much better.  Coincidence all these brand extensions came right about the same time?

Yeah, and I'm disappointed the Wellers really dried up around here.

No worries as there are still plenty of good deals on quality bourbons out there.

On 7/9/2017 at 10:31 PM, Whiskey Dick said:

I have to second garbanzobean and houstonnit.............anything EC or VOB, no thanks....and I AM a HH fan

Can't get HH BIB 6YR - if I could, this post would say "Ditto", but I can't, so it doesn't. EC even NAS is just too oaky for me.  Hence, I'll settle for VOB BIB "6" if I pick from those three.  Steve (Flahute) actually said what I want to say - Because of StraightBourbon (thanks, you all), I learned several years ago not to chase solely based on reviews or age or rareness.  So, my biggest disappointment in years behind me.  Not even sure what it was.  Could have been that Bastille thingee I bought on sale, but I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

Ok, I thought of two more (both for different reasons).

I used to love Old Forester Signature.  Some time after the label changed, it started tasting not good to me.  A helpful SB member directed me to a store with some old inventory.  I'm convinced it's not my imagination.  The older stuff was much better.  Coincidence all these brand extensions came right about the same time?

Yeah, and I'm disappointed the Wellers really dried up around here.

No worries as there are still plenty of good deals on quality bourbons out there.

At Sampler back in April, someone brought a bottle of Old Forester Bonded. Wow, that was good. Very different from the Old Forester of today. If they still made that, I'd buy the heck out of it. (And I say this as a guy who likes OFSiB, 1920, and OFBB.)

My biggest disappointment was OF Birthday 2013.  While I'm not a huge fan of the B-F profile, I was excited to find a limited edition of anything at retail which ultimately only served to increase my disappointment.  It just didn't taste right to me, not sure what it was.

It was a nice reminder to stick with what you like and not follow the hype.  So much so that I've stayed away from B-F completely since then until recently with the Whiskey Row 1920 which I really like.  Ultimately I would like to try another vintage of Birthday Bourbon if I can find one at a reasonable price to see if the 2013 was a one-off for me.  One day I'll open the other 2013 I have taking up space in the bunker and see if my tastes have changed.

Edited by miller542

Bulleit. It got a lot of good reviews, so I coughed up my money to try it. To me, it was undrinkable - too sweet and some very odd flavor note. It is the only supposedly good bourbon I have not been able to finish. I didn't pour it out, but I eventually gave it all away to friends and relatives who wanted to try it.

Tim

After reading through the rest of the thread, I will say that I like Booker's quite a bit, and I don't care much for Baker's, but I love Knob Creek.

Tim

7 hours ago, miller542 said:

My biggest disappointment was OF Birthday 2013.  While I'm not a huge fan of the B-F profile, I was excited to find a limited edition of anything at retail which ultimately only served to increase my disappointment.  It just didn't taste right to me, not sure what it was.

It was a nice reminder to stick with what you like and not follow the hype.  So much so that I've stayed away from B-F completely since then until recently with the Whiskey Row 1920 which I really like.  Ultimately I would like to try another vintage of Birthday Bourbon if I can find one at a reasonable price to see if the 2013 was a one-off for me.  One day I'll open the other 2013 I have taking up space in the bunker and see if my tastes have changed.

I read through many of these posts since I couldn't think of something off the top of my head.  Then bingo!  I could have written much of this post myself.   I refuse to buy another OFBD after the 2013 (the first and only one I ever tried), and in fact also got turned off of BF for years after this.  Even now the 1920 is one of only two BF products on my bar.

As I was typing this, I also thought of Herman Marshall bourbon.  I had high hopes for a local product (before I knew better about Texas bourbons), and it tastes like straight up scotch (which I hate).

21 hours ago, flahute said:

At Sampler back in April, someone brought a bottle of Old Forester Bonded. Wow, that was good. Very different from the Old Forester of today. If they still made that, I'd buy the heck out of it. (And I say this as a guy who likes OFSiB, 1920, and OFBB.)

Yeah Steve, no disappointment with the older OF BIB.  I still have some from the 1990s.  The age statement says 4 years old.  

Michter's 10yr SiB 2016 is probably my biggest bourbon disappointment.  It's a nice pour but pretty close to a EC store pick at way less $.  Oh well, live and learn....

Great thread! It's interesting to read everyone's thoughts, particularly since some of the whiskies mentioned are favorites of mine. I'd say my biggest disappointment recently has been OF 1897 BIB. I'm a big fan of BIB bourbons and love the old Bonded OF (I'm the one that brought the bottle Steve mentioned. I've been nursing my stocks for a while but love to share it as I think it's very good) so I was really looking forward to this one. It was all alcohol on the nose and palate with little else going on. Some time in the bottle calmed it down a bit, but it's still nothing spectacular particularly for the price. 1920 is much better.

Hands down Van Winkle Lot B 12 year. I was thrilled to find it on a shelf around 5 years ago. I had only been drinking bourbon for around 2-3 years at that point and wasn't buying the ultra premiums as I was more then happy drinking OWA, ETL and Heaven Hill 8 year. I was expecting to be wowed but it really didn't do anything for me. I really wish I had been looking for Willet's, Parker's etc.. back then. I did find a ORVW10 at the same store. I haven't had any urge to open it. Someone recently posted that they traded a bottle of ORVW10 for a PH13. Maybe I will be that lucky someday.

WPS is mine.  That beautifully, well done bottle just sets the distillate in it up to fail...

Then that beautifully, well done bottle just sucks when it comes time to store it!

George Dickel 17. I've always liked the GD12 and the Barrel and Hand Selects so I've got to love the same juice at 17? Wrong. The sweet molasses and vanilla tastes were muted, overall very flat, and had a thin and watery mouthfeel.

I had high hopes for this one and didn't open my little 375 until I found a backup for the bunker. Very Foolish!

I've had other disappointments, but in the past 5 yrs. this is "Biggest Disappointment".  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.