What Bourbons Have Been The Biggest Disappointment To You?

NDN98
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

10 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Single Barrel?    None of the bottles I have of 'regular' ER 10-year mention 'Single Barrel' anywhere on their labels, so I assume they are "batched". 

Was this SB phenomenon something that came and went quickly?     ...OR is there a line extension of ER 10 SB, I've yet to see?   (Other than Store Picks, which I HAVE seen.)

I was speaking more to the changes that occurred with Seagram's sold the brand to Sazerac.   

But, I should have noted this previously (and you already know this:P), it WAS a single barrel from '05 until they decided to drop the SB designation a couple of years ago (due to a change in the way that they bottled the product).

18 hours ago, BourbonDude said:

I like the ER too, but I could swear that many years ago they changed the recipe and toned it down quite a bit. This would have been 30 years ago, I don't recall exactly, but it was at the time ER brought out the new fancier bottle, whenever that was. MM had been making waves as a boutique bourbon (back when it still was), and ER followed suit, using a more sophisticated, elegant looking bottle, and the juice was more sophisticated and elegant too, but not as powerful and flavorful. 

Anyway out there notice this? Or is it just my deranged taste buds? 

17 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Your taste buds aren't lying.  The original 10 year old, non single barrel, 101 proof was discontinued in 2005.

I enjoy the current Eagle Rare, but isn't what it once was!  

Even though y'all know I love my wheaters, over the years, I've had my fair share of Eagles too. ^_^

Cheers! Joe

eagle.jpeg

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

ER was noted as a single barrel for a long time. It was on the front label until fairly recently as I recall. It was only relatively recently that BT/Sazerac indicated they couldn't keep it as a single barrel because of the nature of their bottling process (which always seemed a bit hinky if you ask me! Some discussion noted in the link as to whether this is just a "technicality"). So it is no longer a single barrel bottle (unless it is a store pick). It does remain an age stated 10yo which is now typically noted on the back label as of the last bottle I saw. Used to be on the neck band I believe.

Oh, Yeah!     I do remember that whole malarkey about how they couldn't guarantee some small amount from a previously dumped barrel mightn't be included into the first bottle (or few bottles?) of the next one.    Always sounded like BS to me, too.     I don't know why I didn't remember the fact that ER was a Single Barrel Product in the not-all-that-distant-past.    I'm sure I had more than a few of 'em myself.     My excuse is that I'm old and soft in the head (& gettin' softer by the day, I suppose).   Heeee-He!

Edited by Richnimrod
The Usual: Fat-finger Spelling Mistake!

^^^^What a beautiful sight to behold.  The Eagle Rare force is strong with you, Joe! 

Even though y'all know I love my wheaters, over the years, I've had my fair share of Eagles too. [emoji5]

Cheers! Joe

eagle.jpeg.7246555ed3eb9832597ceefae7b2db56.jpeg

Wow! That's an impressive lineup of ER Joe! Is that current inventory or an older picture?

39 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! That's an impressive lineup of ER Joe! Is that current inventory or an older picture?

It's a pretty old pic Jeff. We updated our dining room at least 6 years ago if not before. Our ugly wall paper that folks made fun of is long gone. Most of those ER 10 101's are too. I now only have two left.

Cheers! Joe

Our ugly wall paper that folks made fun of is long gone. Most of those ER 10 101's are too.

Cheers! Joe

Nooooo...!

Mostly to the wallpaper being gone not the ER101 as I'm sure you enjoyed them.

12 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Different owners of the same brand. There have been so many mergers and acquisitions of brands and distilleries over the years that it really is hard to trace some of the lineage over the decades

Now I understand. Haha, the joke is on me. :-)  But it sounds like everyone liked the original ER better than the later namesake. I still miss it.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

OMG. I'd be in heaven if they were full.

Edited by BourbonDude

I have to mention something else about those ER 10 101's. The decanter's and a couple of bottles I managed to find on my own. The rest I acquired with the help and graciousness of a few members here. Gotta give credit where credits due.

Cheers! Joe

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Even though y'all know I love my wheaters, over the years, I've had my fair share of Eagles too. ^_^

Cheers! Joe

eagle.jpeg

Very impressive. My wife found this over the weekend at a flea market. Alas, it was empty.

20170801_212458.jpg

On 7/27/2017 at 11:15 PM, flahute said:

Have you had it recently? First batch was bad. Second batch was better but still lacking. Hit it's stride on the third batch and has been great (to me) since then.

No I have not. Mine is 132.4 proof forgotten what batch it is. I still feel if it were called another name nobody could find this product. It would be sold out constantly. I still return to occasionally.

Stagg jr by batch

1   134.4

2   128.7

3   132.1

4   132.2

5   129.7

6   132.5

7   130

I love the stuff and have several bottles stored away, but have to be in the mood for something this bold.

^^ add a Batch to that. I picked up one today at 129.5 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hop said:

^^ add a Batch to that. I picked up one today at 129.5 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. That would be batch 8 which came out around May/ June 

19 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Yep. That would be batch 8 which came out around May/ June 

And it's just as good as the previous few batches have been.  ;)

Cheers!  Joe

Havent opened my batch 8 yet. I have a 4 and 5 open. I keep wanting to open 8 and sbs them all. Problem is Stagg jr is usually my final pour of the night

• 4 weeks later...

Buffalo Trace. Light in color, somewhat bland in taste..it didn't live up to it's respectable reputation.

Standard Belle Meade

Willett Pot still

oregon wheat (bought this trying to get a little suction w/ mt TW guy after he rec'd it half a dozen times). 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.