What Bourbons Have Been The Biggest Disappointment To You?

NDN98
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Probably more than a few that could go in this thread but for recent acquisitions it is probably KC 2001. Not because it was necessarily terrible but because the cost and the availability of a number of excellent older store pick KC's made it such a terrible value.

I have learned that as a general rule I like few whiskey's that are 20+ years old to include the Pappy 23 and older EC bottlings. I have had a chance to try many of them, which I appreciate, and owned a few as well but with the escalating prices I am happy to leave most of it for others.

Oh, and that "Rollins Creek" that was recommended so highly by the noted bourbon expert and occasional wine reviewer, Robert Parker, was pretty bad... B)

I will risk the accusations of blasphemy and will suggest that one of the largest disappointments I have ever had was the 2014 Four Roses Limited Small Batch. Not to say that it was terrible whiskey, but it really just didn't do much for me, and up until that point I basically thought the LEsmb/marriage line could do no wrong, so the expectations were pretty high. So on terms of the spread between expectations and my opinion of the product, that's as bad as I can recall. 

My two are Weller 12 and the new ecbp (b517).  I couldn't wait to get the Weller 12 and once I had my first sip I was so disappointed. OWA is way better in my opinion. The new ecbp to me just seems like something is missing from the older batches. Can't put my finger on it.

1 hour ago, ccleve23 said:

My two are Weller 12 and the new ecbp (b517).  I couldn't wait to get the Weller 12 and once I had my first sip I was so disappointed. OWA is way better in my opinion. The new ecbp to me just seems like something is missing from the older batches. Can't put my finger on it.

Maybe your taste buds were still dying from you Weller 12 sip when you tried the B517 ECBP. I think it is amazing and one of the best releases they have ever done for ECBP

But that to me is the great thing about this "hobby". We can all try the same juice from the same bottle and get a ton of different responses or flavor profiles. 

Wish you like B517 as much as I did/do. If you are looking for someone to take your bottle of your hands, I am more than happy to help. Cheers!

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:55 PM, flahute said:

RY 10 and OF 1920 mentioned above are two that I particularly enjoy. It's important to note that RY10 is a single barrel so variation will occur. I have a number of barrels that are great but one that isn't. If my only experience was with that bad barrel I'd be skeptical too but I'd look for a different barrel to try because I know about variation. 

I've tried multiple RY10 from 2016 and 2017 and I've almost come to the conclusion that the best stuff was probably in the early 2016 barrels.  In direct SBS the later 2016 and both 2017 barrels I tried did not measure up to the early 2016. Glad I loaded up last year

Easy answer for me.

#1.  1792 Port Finish.  Disappointed because I really like every 1792 product I've ever tasted, and I like AE so was hoping 1792 Port would come close. Didn't care for it at all. Still plan to vat it with Full Proof to dilute the Port.

Other disappointments that come to mind:

#2) a particularly bad 2004 EWSB I had (usually a big fan of EWSB but they have pronounced barrel variation, so I learned a lessen)

#3) Both 2008 EWSB I sampled.  A shadow of it's former self.

#4) OWA NAS.  A good bourbon but you might as well save time and money and just drop a cinnamon red-hot candy into regular NAS WSR

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 0:51 AM, Clueby said:

Another that doesn't live up to the hype for me is Van Winkle 12Y.  I greatly prefer ORVW10 or OWA.

I really enjoyed my first ever pour of VW12yr Lot B a few years ago. But just recently I compared the current  10 and 12 head to head and I definitely  preferred the 10 too.   I won't put OWA in with those others at all.

Edited by Kepler

I think that with all the blending going on this site using OGD114 to mix with other bourbons I wonder if that says something about what people think about the OGD114 they have in their cabinets?  Smells like folks are getting creative with ways to use up their stash.  Just sayin'  .....

5 hours ago, elmossle said:

Maybe your taste buds were still dying from you Weller 12 sip when you tried the B517 ECBP. I think it is amazing and one of the best releases they have ever done for ECBP

But that to me is the great thing about this "hobby". We can all try the same juice from the same bottle and get a ton of different responses or flavor profiles. 

Wish you like B517 as much as I did/do. If you are looking for someone to take your bottle of your hands, I am more than happy to help. Cheers!

B517 is a fine batch but I heard so many people say it was the best one ever so my expectation was high. I don't think it is even close to the hazmat version I have. I have finished a few bottles of ECBP over the years and the B517 has such a different flavor profile to me than the others. 

I will have no problem finishing this bottle but it doesn't live up to the expectation for me.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I think that with all the blending going on this site using OGD114 to mix with other bourbons I wonder if that says something about what people think about the OGD114 they have in their cabinets?  Smells like folks are getting creative with ways to use up their stash.  Just sayin'  .....

I'm just fine with it the way it is

OGD114 isn't one of my top favorites to drink neat, but it's not a disappointment. On the other hand, it is great for use in certain cocktails and works very well blended with WSR to make Grandpa Weller's Four Grain, which is much better then either bourbon is on it's own. So, not sayin' you're right, but not sayin' you're wrong either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Bourbonmakesmepoop said:

I'm just fine with it the way it is

14 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

OGD114 isn't one of my top favorites to drink neat, but it's not a disappointment. On the other hand, it is great for use in certain cocktails and works very well blended with WSR to make Grandpa Weller's Four Grain, which is much better then either bourbon is on it's own. So, not sayin' you're right, but not sayin' you're wrong either.

^^ I like it on it's own too.  I do want to try the blend lpfratn is mentioning.  However the only WSR I have on hand are some dusty 7yr AS and I'm not sure I want to sacrifice those.  Has anyone here tried OGD114 blended with OWA?  I have some NAS OWA I could use instead. Have more than a case of W12 in the bunker so I could use that too, but I LOVE W12 so much it must be a waste of one of my favorites.  Maybe I'll just experiment with a little at a time

^^ I like it on it's own too.  I do want to try the blend lpfratn is mentioning.  However the only WSR I have on hand are some dusty 7yr AS and I'm not sure I want to sacrifice those.  Has anyone here tried OGD114 blended with OWA?  I have some NAS OWA I could use instead. Have more than a case of W12 in the bunker so I could use that too, but I LOVE W12 so much it must be a waste of one of my favorites.  Maybe I'll just experiment with a little at a time

I don't think I'd use any of those to blend except maybe the NAS OWA, but I think it might end up drinking too hot since they are both fairly young high proof bourbons. I like to blend 60% WSR and 40% OGD114, which puts the blend right at 100 proof and makes it very drinkable. I like this blend so much that I rarely drink either of them separately anymore, and I've been keeping a blended bottle on my bar. I may have to pick up another bottle of WSR soon though since my only unopened bottle is a PS single barrel that may be pretty good on its own, but we will see.

I had Pappi 15 year about 3 weeks ago. Was very disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was good but just not mind blowing. Thought there was plenty others out there that are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was probably Stagg Jr. for all the hype at first release and such.. I knew of course it would not be as good as the regular. But they should have the bar way lower. Mind you Jr. is still a great bourbon and if named something else to where it could stand on it's own would do it a world of good. I also like many others here refuse to drink anything that doesn't taste good neat, I figure if I can't hack it neat it'll suck mixed too lol.

49 minutes ago, drunkenjayhawk said:

For me it was probably Stagg Jr. for all the hype at first release and such.. I knew of course it would not be as good as the regular. But they should have the bar way lower. Mind you Jr. is still a great bourbon and if named something else to where it could stand on it's own would do it a world of good. I also like many others here refuse to drink anything that doesn't taste good neat, I figure if I can't hack it neat it'll suck mixed too lol.

Have you had it recently? First batch was bad. Second batch was better but still lacking. Hit it's stride on the third batch and has been great (to me) since then.

EC18 SiB has been a disappointment. I really enjoy EC12 & ECBP, so when I found a bottle of EC18, I pounced. 

For me, the barrel is over oaked.

It seems to me, the HH recipe, doesn't hold up well to long aging, in most of their warehouses. 

IMG_1530.JPG

I've had the Blood Oath #2, Blood Oath #3, and the Jeffersons Grand Selection Sauternes Finish recently, and none were worth the $100+ price.

Garrison Brothers Texas Bourbon. It's one of these bourbons with a strong cinnamon flavor that just isn't my thing, except the Garrison was so overwhelming it was hard to pick up anything else. Reminded me of eating those Red Hot candies when I was a kid. If you like cinnamon then this is your bourbon, if you don't mind paying around $85 for something so one-dimensional.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:43 AM, BourbonDude said:

Oh, almost forgot, the Barterhouse 20 yr. too.

That's one that I really enjoy. My only qualm with it is I wish it were higher proof. Typically find it between $65 And $75.

Hey, nothing wrong with AA as long as one knows what one is getting. You could argue (successfully, I believe) that AA is a better product for the price than the dozens of super-premium and high end bourbons I've tried in recent years (like the Blood Oath and Jeffersons Grand Select) that sell for over $125 a bottle and aren't as impressive as many bourbons at a fraction of the price.

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

That's one that I really enjoy. My only qualm with it is I wish it were higher proof. Typically find it between $65 And $75.

Haha

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

Haha. I guess if I'd had a bottle at that price I'd feel better about it. But it was about a $25 a shot pour at Daniel's Steakhouse in Seattle where we were visiting for a week. Again, not a bad bourbon, I was just expecting something more stellar for the price. On the other hand, the Parkers and the Bookers 25 yr. Anniversary were truly wonderful.

I didn't think the Whistlepig rye 12 yr. at $129 was worth the extra freight over the 10 yr. at $79. The flavors were considerably more muted despite the extra two years contributing some extra smoothness. But I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of extra smoothness and elegance for flavor. Haven't tried the 15 yr. which is a lot more expensive. Anybody else tried it?

I've never been a fan of the regular Woodford Reserve. Too much oak not balanced by other flavors. Sort of the bourbon equivalent of an overly oaked California Chardonnay. I liked the Woodford Reserve Distillers Select better.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.